Before Adam and Eve Disobeyed God They Were Welcome to Eternal Life and Had It Freely Available

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Good points, except that Adam was a reluctant participant just as was God in the original rebellion. Lucifer forced God to take responsibility (by taking action) just as Eve forced Adam.

1 Timothy 2:14
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
I'm not sure of your point. God had warned Adam and Adam still had freewill to follow the Lord or follow Satan.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's one mighty leap

Eve didn't just hand the fruit to Adam.

Genesis 3:17
And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened (obeyed) unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,598.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Eve didn't just hand the fruit to Adam.
Seems like she did. It isn't as if Adam wouldn't have been able to recognise the fruit.

So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, and he ate.​

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Seems like she did. It isn't as if Adam wouldn't have been able to recognise the fruit.

So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, and he ate.​

What do you think it means that Adam "hearkened to his wife's voice" in regard to the fruit? And what do you think she said?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,598.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What do you think it means that Adam "hearkened to his wife's voice" in regard to the fruit? And what do you think she said?
I imagine she probably paraphrased what the serpent had told her, but since Scripture does not say, I don't think it is wise to speculate.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I imagine she probably paraphrased what the serpent had told her, but since Scripture does not say, I don't think it is wise to speculate.

I agree. She probably convinced Adam that they 'wouldn't surely die', as the serpent had said. Adam was likely casting his fortune with Eve, for better or worse, as well.

I can't tell you how many ministers have said, "We don't know for sure...we can only speculate."

One, discussing the subject, humorously quipped, "Many of us at seminary majored in Speculation."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was just reading the part of Genesis (ch 2&3) about Adam and Eve and realized or maybe was reminded that they had Eternal Life freely available to them and God welcomed them to eat/partake of it. I thought that I'd share this just in case there is another who hadn't realized this. The story is focused upon the forbidden tree and their disobedience and overshadows/ed this fact, for me anyway.
Apparently, they hadn't partaken of the tree of life, yet.

Ge 2:9 "The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil."

Ge 2:16-17: "And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

Both Pasted from <Genesis 2 NIV

Ge 3:22 "And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”"
Pasted from <Genesis 3 NIV>

I thought this the best forum to place this thread but if Staff has a better place for it, please...
Man has a moral choice, to be subjugated to God, or not-and he's lost to the extent that he's not in communion with Him. Adam & Eve began life in Eden neutral in regard to that choice. They were gifted in so many ways, and they knew God, but didn't yet appreciate what they had. To eat of the Tree of Life would've been the right choice, of drawing nearer to Him, of choosing Him, while eating of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil meant to draw away from Him, to effectively reject Him as their God; by disobeying Him they denied His authority over them, becoming their own "gods". Choosing and aligning ourselves with God is the primary and final choice of choosing good over evil, life over death. God is the ultimate Good.

Adam and Even had set themselves and their whole world including their progeny into an exile away from God. But this exile was still within God's plans-of ultimately steering them back to Himself, the Tree of Life. It was just the long way home- to that right choice. By eating of the wrong tree they would experience-they would know- good and evil, the natural consequence of their separation from Him, for themselves, directly, viscerally, and daily, as we all do now, and by that knowledge, earned the hard way, they-and we-could become all the more ready and willing to choose good over evil, having developed a hunger and thirst for truth and righteousness and justice and hope and love in a human-ruled world that lacks all of those in so many ways.

They might come to believe in and turn back to God, as He graciously opens that door when the time is ripe by revealing and offering Himself to them again, the God they had abandoned and forgotten in favor of themselves and their own moral preferences. Like Prodigals who've experienced life in the pigsty, relatively speaking, they're now potentially more pliable clay in the hands of the Potter, to make of them what He's intended all along. They had gained the appreciation they previously lacked. They know something of the infinite difference between Creator and created-and of their need for Him. We're all here to obtain that bit of wisdom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0