Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't sure which thread to post this under, so it may need to be moved by a mod.

Anyway, so I've been backslidden as the title says. I've gotten away from reading the Bible consistently, if at all at times. The fire that I once had to serve the Lord has grown cold; I've become more worldly, and sins from my past that were unprofitable (anger, covetousness, laziness, etc.) have begun to creep back in and take hold, affecting my professional and personal life.

I've realized it's been happening for quite some time (about a year or so now). Slowly at first, but now it's happening much quicker and is becoming out of control, and as a result, I don't attend church nearly as often anymore, I don't engage with others in spiritual conversations about the Gospel (which has left me feeling empty and dry), and I don't have any motivation to seek after righteousness or godly living. Not that it's a salvation issue for me (because I have never stopped believing in the free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ), but an issue of living spiritually vs. giving into the lusts of my flesh.

I intend to do something about it because I know that the Lord provides an abundant amount of grace to repent from such things. I know that there is forgiveness in and with him, but being humbled enough to come to this point was my greatest fear - that is, to face the facts of my own sinfulness. And now that I'm here, I figured confessing to others on here is a good first step and point of motivation to keep moving in the right direction.

I suppose the only thing I ask is that y'all would pray for me if you have the time. That would really help, because at this point, it is imperative that I regain some consistency with the disciplines (reading, praying, fasting, soulwinning, etc). Each increasingly difficult to perform, but helpful in maintaining a spiritual mindset.

Thanks!

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I wasn't sure which thread to post this under, so it may need to be moved by a mod.

Anyway, so I've been backslidden as the title says. I've gotten away from reading the Bible consistently, if at all at times. The fire that I once had to serve the Lord has grown cold; I've become more worldly, and sins from my past that were unprofitable (anger, covetousness, laziness, etc.) have begun to creep back in and take hold, affecting my professional and personal life.

I've realized it's been happening for quite some time (about a year or so now). Slowly at first, but now it's happening much quicker and is becoming out of control, and as a result, I don't attend church nearly as often anymore, I don't engage with others in spiritual conversations about the Gospel (which has left me feeling empty and dry), and I don't have any motivation to seek after righteousness or godly living. Not that it's a salvation issue for me (because I have never stopped believing in the free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ), but an issue of living spiritually vs. giving into the lusts of my flesh.

I intend to do something about it because I know that the Lord provides an abundant amount of grace to repent from such things. I know that there is forgiveness in and with him, but being humbled enough to come to this point was my greatest fear - that is, to face the facts of my own sinfulness. And now that I'm here, I figured confessing to others on here is a good first step and point of motivation to keep moving in the right direction.

I suppose the only thing I ask is that y'all would pray for me if you have the time. That would really help, because at this point, it is imperative that I regain some consistency with the disciplines (reading, praying, fasting, soulwinning, etc). Each increasingly difficult to perform, but helpful in maintaining a spiritual mindset.

Thanks!
Brother Nic, To walk in the fear and admonition of the Lord is to maintain an awareness of His presence. This is best accomplished through our inner dialog throughout the day, not just the godly habits that we try to establish (Bible study), and then fall out of which brings feelings of guilt. The objective is to recognize "the voice of the bridegroom', and I encourage you today to start making that your godly habit, your daily bread. Become swift to hear and slow to speak:
James 3:2. For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.
In the loving grace and peace of Christ,
James

Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Brother Nic, To walk in the fear and admonition of the Lord is to maintain an awareness of His presence. This is best accomplished through our inner dialog throughout the day, not just the godly habits that we try to establish (Bible study), and then fall out of which brings feelings of guilt. The objective is to recognize "the voice of the bridegroom', and I encourage you today to start making that your godly habit, your daily bread. Become swift to hear and slow to speak:
James 3:2. For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.
In the loving grace and peace of Christ,
James
Is the inner dialog the same as our thoughts?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You bet. A pastor I knew used to say "Satan is a mind dweller."
2 Co 10:5. Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
Jesus taught us to take authority over the spirits that lie to us and bring accusations against us.
"Get behind me, Satan"!

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Been backslidden for a while.

..........I've gotten away from reading the Bible consistently, if at all at times. The fire that I once had to serve the Lord has grown cold; I've become more worldly, and sins from my past that were unprofitable (anger, covetousness, laziness, etc.) have begun to creep back in and take hold, affecting my professional and personal life.

I intend to do something about it because I know that the Lord provides an abundant amount of grace to repent from such things.....

I suppose the only thing I ask is that y'all would pray for me...
Done.

Heavenly Father, help Nicolaus start reading his Bible, going to church, and having spiritual conversations about the gospel again. Please rekindle a fire within him, boost his motivation and empower him have victory over his neglect so that backsliding no longer becomes a source of guilt, shame and remorse that feeds upon itself. Thank you for the promise of salvation and Nicolaus' confidence in that promise.​

Nicolaus, it sounds like you're not only aware of the problem but also some of the steps that need to be taken to change both what you're doing and what you're feeling. Have you read something in the Bible today? With the COVID church attendance may be a problem so perhaps some alternative forms of fellowship and teaching should be considered. What do you think might help?

Note the wandering Hebrews in the wilderness often backslid. they often lost motivation and they went beyond apathy to open defiance at times. That continued even after they entered the Promised Land. There were a variety of reasons, all still common among Christians to this day, but one of the most common was the lack of enduring power miracles had. The group that watched the Red Sea part so they could walk on dry land was the same crown that watched in mixed joy and horror as Pharaoh and his army was wiped out. You might think that amazing event would prove salient for some time but that wasn't the case.

So, as one former backslider to another, welcome to the club. Maybe take some courage and encouragement that you haven't thrice denied knowing Jesus as Peter did ;).

There's really only one thing a Christian needs to do in order to be vital: believe!

BELIEVE!

But believe so believably that it influences and empowers everything you do. Do it for the one who has redeemed you, but do it because you're not happy right now and you don't like it. You can be unhappy with Jesus or unhappy without him. You choose. Or better yet, be happy with him because that's an option, too.

Blessings,

Upvote 0