✟29,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dmckay said:
One of the only groups that I am aware of that has never been Calvinist at its roots are the Swedish Baptists. These have always been more Arminian in their theology. Today, most of the Swedish Baptists are known by Baptist General Conference.

The Swedish Baptists are not historically related to the English Baptists that we're talking about - they came from the Pietist tradition (which came from Lutheranism). They are more closely related to the Brethren and Dunkers who are influenced by Anabaptists.

Constance

Upvote 0
D

Dmckay

constance said:
The Swedish Baptists are not historically related to the English Baptists that we're talking about - they came from the Pietist tradition (which came from Lutheranism). They are more closely related to the Brethren and Dunkers who are influenced by Anabaptists.

Constance
Constance,

Thank you for your clarification. I knew this was the case, which is why I wanted to make the distinction between the Swedish Baptists and those who had their roots based in England. I have worked with a General Conference Baptist Church in the area, and count as one of my friends their Pastor.

Upvote 0

Hagios17

Jesus is awesome
Mar 24, 2006
✟13,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi all

My name is Josh. And I used to be Baptist, until I realised not all Baptists are going to heaven:) … but there were many other contributions that lead to my retirement of attending my Baptist organisation, such as:

Church membership (You ),
Wrick Warren (Bases theories on Paganism),
Tithing (the Law),
Water Baptism (???),
Arminianism (Merging of Semi-pelagianism and the Bible: Its maxim is, "It is mine to be willing to believe, and it is the part of God's grace to assist."),
Legalism (strict adherence to the law… not free from the law)

What are your opinions of these I have just mentioned?

By the way, just for interest’s sake rural_preacher, could you elaborate a little more upon the doctrines you just decoded from the BAPTIST label?

Biblical Authority
Autonomy of the Local Church
Priesthood of all believers
Two church ordinances - baptism, Lord's Supper
Individual Soul Liberty
Saved, baptized church membership
Two church officers - Pastor (Elder) and Deacon

Awaiting lofty replies

Hagios17 / Qadowsh17 / Saint17 (One who is… Hebrews 10:14 :))

Upvote 0

Hagios17

Jesus is awesome
Mar 24, 2006
✟13,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi all

My name is Josh. And I used to be Baptist, until I realised not all Baptists are going to heaven:doh: … along with many other contrabutions, such as:

Church membership (The secret knowledge is only obtained by a member... sounds like Gnosticism),

Wrick Warren (Bases theories on Paganism:eek: ),

Tithing (Why on earth are Baptists preaching about money. Didn't they know that the love of money is the root of all evil. And that is no secret.),

Water Baptism (Should I get circumsised too?),

Arminianism (Merging of Semi-pelagianism and the Bible: Its maxim: "It is mine to be willing to believe, and it is the part of God's grace to assist."),

Legalism (strict adherence to the law??? "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." (1 Corinthians 6:12 ) )

What are your opinions on these I have just mentioned?

By the way, just for interest’s sake... rural_preacher, could you elaborate a little more upon the doctrines you just decoded from the Baptist label? And if anyone else feels obligated to do so too, then please be my guest?

Biblical Authority
Individual Soul Liberty

Awaiting many Baptist replies:)

P.S. I hope I don't sound too antagonistic, as I just would like to talk about these things that I'm not aloud to talk about elsewhere

Hagios17 / Qadowsh17 / Saint17 (One who is… Hebrews 10:14 :)):wave:

Reactions: constance
Upvote 0

rural_preacher

Oct 4, 2004
✟1,555.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hagios17 said:
Hi all

My name is Josh. And I used to be Baptist, until I realised not all Baptists are going to heaven:) … but there were many other contributions that lead to my retirement of attending my Baptist organisation, such as:

Church membership (You ),
Wrick Warren (Bases theories on Paganism),
Tithing (the Law),
Water Baptism (???),
Arminianism (Merging of Semi-pelagianism and the Bible: Its maxim is, "It is mine to be willing to believe, and it is the part of God's grace to assist."),
Legalism (strict adherence to the law… not free from the law)

What are your opinions of these I have just mentioned?

By the way, just for interest’s sake rural_preacher, could you elaborate a little more upon the doctrines you just decoded from the BAPTIST label?

Biblical Authority
Individual Soul Liberty

Awaiting lofty replies

Hagios17 / Qadowsh17 / Saint17 (One who is… Hebrews 10:14 :))

I will not be providing you with any "lofty relplies". The specific intent of this thread is made clear in the OP.

I do have a question for you: Are you asking me to "elaborate" because you are genuinely seeking Truth to bring about peace and mutual edification among Christian brothers and sisters? Or are you looking for an argument?

I have no interest in arguing or feeding someone's bad attitude. However, I am happy to provide information if it will be accepted with an attitude of love. At the moment, I do not discern from your post that you are seeking Truth in Love...you seem to be seeking a "fight".

-----

"Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another" (Romans 14:19).

-

Upvote 0

rural_preacher

Oct 4, 2004
✟1,555.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
eldermike said:
Autonomous local churches have existed since James was a pastor. Biblical authority leads us to certain truths. Because Calvin learned some of them from us doesn't require us to call ourselves Calvinist.

Excatly! Thus the purpose of the statements I made in the OP...

rural_preacher said:
Although there are some variations and differences on some of these points among Baptists, these are generally regarded as "Baptist Distinctives". Of course, there are other non-baptist churches that believe in some or all of these as well (thus making me wonder just how distinctive we really are...but that's another subject).

As one can see, what makes a church "Baptist" has nothing to do with Dogmatic Theology (such as: Calvinism, Arminianism, Covenantism, Dispensationalism, etc., etc., etc.). In regard to Systematic/Dogmatic Theology, Baptist churches are full of variety.

-

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟570,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
eldermike said:
Autonomous local churches have existed since James was a pastor. Biblical authority leads us to certain truths. Because Calvin learned some of them from us doesn't require us to call ourselves Calvinist.

You are right about that my friend!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Diane_Windsor said:
This is where we part ways. Though I'm formally a Methodist and attend a local UMC parish I'll always be a Southern Baptist-it's in my blood. I am as much of a Baptist as I am an American, and I always will be despite what religious beliefs I hold.

DIANE
:wave:

I agree, although my reasoning is reversed. I grew up PCUSA - love reformed doctrine (and yes, I am a Calvinist, but that's my doctrine - I'm a Christian first and foremost). Anyhow - I never had any arguments with Presbyterian doctrines and practices - except infant baptism. I could never justify it with Scripture that says repent and/or believe and be baptized. Fortunately I had pastors who didn't beat me over the head to conform to infant baptism.

Anyhow, when I discovered the Reformed Baptist church it was like coming home - all the pluses of Presbyterian (reformed) theology with the correct administration of baptism.

edie

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.