Lady in Waiting
Apr 10, 2008
The Big Comfy Couch
✟8,274.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have been to two baptist churches - in one the ladies all wore head coverings and long skirts, and everyone one quite conservative and mildly spoke in tounges. The other was quite the other extreme, not really very religious, uptight, the kind that leave God at church on Sundays. What are Most baptists like? I am looking for a good church but im not sure if I would like to return to the baptist, because im not sure who they are! Lol Or are they always so different, from church to church? THanks :0)

Apr 25, 2008
✟7,657.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think all Baptist churches are different, as you have seen from your experience. You can't accurately generalize about an entire denomination, saying most of Baptists are like this or most Baptists are like that. All I can tell you about is how my church is.

At my church, we believe the Bible is the word of God, and we follow it with that belief in mind. We don't leave God at the church when we leave on Sundays. I try to have God in mind as often as possible; what does God want me to do in this situation? What would Jesus think about this? etc.

We don't speak in tongues at my church, but the ladies do dress conservatively. We don't play noisy rock music at our church...in fact, the Pastor preaches that a lot of secular mediums are not fit for good upstanding Christians.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think all Baptist churches are different, as you have seen from your experience. You can't accurately generalize about an entire denomination, saying most of Baptists are like this or most Baptists are like that. All I can tell you about is how my church is.

At my church, we believe the Bible is the word of God, and we follow it with that belief in mind. We don't leave God at the church when we leave on Sundays. I try to have God in mind as often as possible; what does God want me to do in this situation? What would Jesus think about this? etc.

We don't speak in tongues at my church, but the ladies do dress conservatively. We don't play noisy rock music at our church...in fact, the Pastor preaches that a lot of secular mediums are not fit for good upstanding Christians.

What he said.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

AnyaMa

Lady in Waiting
Apr 10, 2008
The Big Comfy Couch
✟8,274.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
lol ok, I was half expecting an anwer like that, but I do understand. Hopefully the one I plan on attending next week is more on the conservative side =) And out of curiousity, do you not speak in tounges because you disagree with it, or because it just doesnt happen there?

Upvote 0

mesue

Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have been to two baptist churches - in one the ladies all wore head coverings and long skirts, and everyone one quite conservative and mildly spoke in tounges. The other was quite the other extreme, not really very religious, uptight, the kind that leave God at church on Sundays. What are Most baptists like? I am looking for a good church but im not sure if I would like to return to the baptist, because im not sure who they are! Lol Or are they always so different, from church to church? THanks :0)
You went to a Baptist church and they spoke in tongues? I can only speak from my Independent Bible Baptist background when I say :scratch: really?
I know some Baptist churches are very legalistic in demanding their women wear head coverings and skirts. I don't go to a church like that but my brother in law does. Well, not the head covering part. In my church we are called not to be a cause for stumbling in our manner of dress. I've never, yet, heard anyone speak in tongues. I suppose there is always a first time, but I'm not holding my breath. Tongues are signs and signs are for the Jews. I know they speak of speaking in tongues in Acts, but the Book of Acts is a transitional Book and not necessarily for doctrine. You will have to do a lot of searching for a good Baptist church. Make sure they are teaching out of the Bible. Are they mission minded? Is there a salvation message? These are the most important things to look for in any church, not just a Baptist church.
Good luck finding a church.

Upvote 0

ghs1994

Jul 1, 2005
Ohio
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

there are a lot of diff. flavors of Baptist churches for sure.

the one i go to is conservative. no tongues. heavy emphasis on the Word. it is an independant part of the GARBC (general association of regular baptist churches). check online at the GARBC site and see if you can find a church in your area that you might be able to visit - not trying to promote any association here :blush:

Upvote 0
S

seekHisMercy

I've been a Southern Baptist all my life, and never heard of such things. But it finally explains a few Catholic views I've heard over the years. Sounds like you found some odd offshoots.

Upvote 0

ImmersionX

Apr 1, 2008
✟1,065.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I would avoid any church claiming to be a Baptist church that has members or the pastors, etc speaking or even advocating speaking in tongues!!!
It's NOT a Baptist church...nuff said. That right there shows how far and deep the heretical "charasmatic" movement has infiltrated the churches.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

KarrieTex

HOOK EM HORNS
Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2006
Houston, Texas
✟38,214.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I would avoid any church claiming to be a Baptist church that has members or the pastors, etc speaking or even advocating speaking in tongues!!!
It's NOT a Baptist church...nuff said. That right there shows how far and deep the heretical "charasmatic" movement has infiltrated the churches.

God Bless.
WOOOOAAA there. I grew up Southern Baptist. I am also attending one of the largest SBC church's in the country and my pastor has been the president of the SBC for a few terms.

As a Southern Baptist, I can tell you that I have heard tongues spoken in a SBC Church and my Pastor teaches that it is a gift of the Holy Spirit. Baptist do believe in it and we do understand it by what God has said through Paul in His Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ImmersionX

Apr 1, 2008
✟1,065.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
WOOOOAAA there. I grew up Southern Baptist. I am also attending one of the largest SBC church's in the country and my pastor has been the president of the SBC for a few terms.

As a Southern Baptist, I can tell you that I have heard tongues spoken in a SBC Church and my Pastor teaches that it is a gift of the Holy Spirit. Baptist do believe in it and we do understand it by what God has said through Paul in His Word.

I can assure you this....in the history of the SBC there has never been a President that has advocated and/or condoned "speaking in tongues". I will pray for your church, because it's being misled by it's pastor to a very very dangerous way.
To the OP: the spiritual "gifts" of the Holy Spirit are very much a part of every Christian's llife, BUT the extraordinary gifts, as seen in Acts, etc....are NOT part of being a Baptist, they were for the Apostles ONLY to impart on certain others to spread the word of God, to make believers out of the unbelieving, at that time and at that time only. People claim to use these extraordinary "gifts" today, and I'm calling them out...it's heresy plain and simple. I go to an SBC church btw.

God Bless in your search for a true and bible believing church.
Amen.

Upvote 0

KarrieTex

HOOK EM HORNS
Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2006
Houston, Texas
✟38,214.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I can assure you this....in the history of the SBC there has never been a President that has advocated and/or condoned "speaking in tongues". I will pray for your church, because it's being misled by it's pastor to a very very dangerous way.
To the OP: the spiritual "gifts" of the Holy Spirit are very much a part of every Christian's llife, BUT the extraordinary gifts, as seen in Acts, etc....are NOT part of being a Baptist, they were for the Apostles ONLY to impart on certain others to spread the word of God, to make believers out of the unbelieving, at that time and at that time only. People claim to use these extraordinary "gifts" today, and I'm calling them out...it's heresy plain and simple. I go to an SBC church btw.

God Bless in your search for a true and bible believing church.
Amen.
You are very very very wrong. I can tell you there hasn't been a SBC church that I have grown up in or attended that didn't teach that Speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit no more special significance than any other.

As for my pastor...Ed Young is far from being a pastor who misleads his church. Nor are his 3 sons who are in the ministry misleading people. I am sure you would know them as well Ben Young, Ed Young Jr., and Cliff Young who is the lead singer of Cademan's Call.

To say that a SBC is not a Bible believing church because they acknowledge ALL gifts of the Holy Spirit is a falacy and can lead to false teachings.

Upvote 0

ImmersionX

Apr 1, 2008
✟1,065.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ed Young (pastors)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (May 2007) It has been suggested that this article be split into multiple articles accessible from a disambiguation page. (Discuss)Ed Young is the name shared by two well-known megachurch pastors, father and son, both residing in the state of Texas and both having affiliations with the Southern Baptist Convention.
As both father and son have chosen to go by the name Ed, in order to differentiate between father and son, at times the elder Young is referred to as "Ed Young Sr." while the son is referred to as "Ed Young Jr.". However, this is technically in error, as to qualify as "Senior" and "Junior" the names must be identical, which is not the case here. The Senior Ed Young is referred to in some circles as Dr. Young as he holds a doctorate degree (earned not Honorary).

This Ed Young???
Tell me is this website for one of his sons? or your pastor?
http://www.edyoung.com/

Anywho....regardless, you are in the minority of SBC churches, if tongue wagging is allowed and advocated.

Upvote 0

KarrieTex

HOOK EM HORNS
Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2006
Houston, Texas
✟38,214.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You have no IDEA what you are talking about. Absolutely none.

Second Baptist has been around for almost 100 years and has has steady growth throught out it's time. For a city as big as Houston, I see nothing wrong with a church this big.

Second Baptist IS In the SBC. We support it, we vote in it, he was a president at least twice that I know of, and we as a church answer to it as well if need be.

As for Ed Jr, that's his family nickname. He grew up with that in that church, which Dr Young has been a pastor of for almost 30 years.

You know I am not going to defend this Godly Church. I am glad to be a member here and I know without a doubt that my pastors, elders, and deacons walk as well as we imperfect humans can with God.

To the OP....I think you would enjoy my church. Ed is one of those pastorsm who tells you how it is. Ben is learning and growing to be even more of a teacher and pastor...he is also very good. And it is very much a church that is on fire for God.

Personally, I would tell you to look for a SBC because out of the baptist churches I have gone to they are the ones who teach from the Bible completely.

BUT go to the church God leads you to go. HE will lead you to the one that you can best serve Him in.

Upvote 0

ImmersionX

Apr 1, 2008
✟1,065.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You have no IDEA what you are talking about. Absolutely none.

Second Baptist has been around for almost 100 years and has has steady growth throught out it's time. For a city as big as Houston, I see nothing wrong with a church this big.

Second Baptist IS In the SBC. We support it, we vote in it, he was a president at least twice that I know of, and we as a church answer to it as well if need be.

As for Ed Jr, that's his family nickname. He grew up with that in that church, which Dr Young has been a pastor of for almost 30 years.

You know I am not going to defend this Godly Church. I am glad to be a member here and I know without a doubt that my pastors, elders, and deacons walk as well as we imperfect humans can with God.

To the OP....I think you would enjoy my church. Ed is one of those pastorsm who tells you how it is. Ben is learning and growing to be even more of a teacher and pastor...he is also very good. And it is very much a church that is on fire for God.

Personally, I would tell you to look for a SBC because out of the baptist churches I have gone to they are the ones who teach from the Bible completely.

BUT go to the church God leads you to go. HE will lead you to the one that you can best serve Him in.
I never stated that Second Baptist of Houston was not in the Southern Baptist convention.(read carefully)
And I am straight out telling you that if your church and pastor advocate "speaking in tongues" and various other extra ordinary gifts as being valid in this day and age....your in the MINORITY of the SBC in tought and doctrine, I don't care if you went to 20 different SBC churches and they all spoke in tongues....nuff said.
Also, Dr. Young seems to be delving into Pentacostal worlds....well at least in 2007:
DR. FRANK PAGE RESPONDS CONCERNING “DR. ED YOUNG TO SHARE THE PODIUM WITH T.D. JAKES”

The President of the Southern Baptist Convention Dr. Frank Page has just responded to a letter which I wrote to him concerning two time president of the SBC Dr. Ed Young sharing a platform in February of 2007 with Oneness Pentecostal “Bishop” T.D. Jakes who denies the cardinal doctrine of the Holy Trinity–the actual nature of God.

from the website:
http://www.apprising.org/archives/2007/01/dr_frank_page_r.html

Also, read this if you would like to know more about the "baptist pastor"(loosely noted):

http://www.apprising.org/archives/2006/12/but_southern_ba.html

Regardless, let the OP decide for him/herself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,357.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'd say most Baptists are historically cessationists.

"In terms of worship practices, the majority of Southern Baptist churches do not practice glossolalia," or tongues. "In terms of general practice, the majority of Southern Baptists do not accept what is referred to as 'private prayer language.' "
source

Upvote 0

fushiarose

a.k.a. fosterangel72
Feb 11, 2007
✟16,534.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think that Baptist are unique and can not be stero type too easy. (You weren't trying to do that. I know but just saying)
Where I go to church, the women are free to wear pants or jeans if they want. It is more important Why we are there instead of what we are wearing while there. We don't cover our heads and I have never heard of a Baptist church that did have women cover their heads.
Also, there is several women that don't own that many skirts or even one skirt. Why should they have to sit at home until they can afford skirts?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.