Baptists are on what side of the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinityisunity

Has lost 14 kilos (31 pounds) in 14 weeks!!!
Apr 16, 2006
In a house
✟1,291.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Our Baptist church consists of many varied types of Baptists. We have those who have escaped legalistic Baptist churches, we have tradionalists, we have some charasmatic Baptists and we also have what I would describe as contemporary Baptists.

We have two styles of service on a Sunday. A traditional 4 hymn and sermon service and then after that we have a contemporary service which has the same sermon as the traditional service. I am involved in both and enjoy both however I do prefer the latter style. Our traditional service has on average 30-40 people come to it and the contemporary has 150-170 come to it.

These two style services cater for two preferences which is great for our town which has a number of retirees and now a number of young families.

The preaching of the Word is the most important focus and is done very well by our Pastor. I have even heard people in the town say that our church has the most Biblical preaching out of all the others in town. No fluff and bubble but good meaty sermons that apply to today using solid exegesis and hermeneutics.

So in the end we are a mixture of Baptists but we all have one thing in common and that is JESUS. Because of this common bond He holds us all together in love and grace.

Upvote 0

53Isaiah

2 Timothy 4:1-8
Nov 1, 2005
Massachusetts
✟16,176.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Churches can very so much because they are made of people. People have differing culture, personalities, and range in demographics.
Irrespective of this we are ALL called to have the character of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ teaches us in Mathew:

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

What is the fruit Jesus Christ is talking about? God tells us in Galatians 5:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Reactions: KarrieTex
Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Churches can very so much because they are made of people. People have differing culture, personalities, and range in demographics.
Irrespective of this we are ALL called to have the character of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ teaches us in Mathew:

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

What is the fruit Jesus Christ is talking about? God tells us in Galatians 5:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
You may want to check the context of the Matthew 7 passage you quoted. The Lord is talking about false prophets ( preachers) and that they will come in sheep's clothing, that is they will look like they should, act like they should and it will be very difficult to tell that they are false because of it. He said they you will know them by their fruits. That isn't how they act but what they preach. A preacher's fruit is what he preaches and those who hear and follow him.
The passage in Gal. 5 is something altogether different. The fruit of the Spirit is something every believer bears to some extent. It comes from the heart not the hands or mind.

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have been to two baptist churches - in one the ladies all wore head coverings and long skirts, and everyone one quite conservative and mildly spoke in tounges. The other was quite the other extreme, not really very religious, uptight, the kind that leave God at church on Sundays. What are Most baptists like? I am looking for a good church but im not sure if I would like to return to the baptist, because im not sure who they are! Lol Or are they always so different, from church to church? THanks :0)
The title "Baptist" implies that a church considers the congregation autonomous, answering to no one but God. SO you get a LOT of variety.

Southern Baptists are groups of Baptist Churches who interpret scripture in a similiar way, and who are pretty similiar in their practices. They don't answer to one another, but they work together. They tend to range from moderately conservative to fairly liberal, but they all believe in the trinity, you probably won't find tongues in any of them, they have "The Lord's Supper" and deacons are ordained men.

I used to live near a place that called itself a Primitive Baptist. They did the washing of the feet.

I have a friend who goes to a very racially diverse Baptist Church that has a lot of shouting and loud praising of God.

My last church was a large Southern Baptist church with 22 choirs including a rock band. My current church is a small Southern Baptist Church with 1 small choir and members that threaten to quit if the youth band is allowed to play. (Oddly, I stay because OF the youth band. Go figure.)

Upvote 0

AnyaMa

Lady in Waiting
Apr 10, 2008
The Big Comfy Couch
✟8,274.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The title "Baptist" implies that a church considers the congregation autonomous, answering to no one but God. SO you get a LOT of variety.

Southern Baptists are groups of Baptist Churches who interpret scripture in a similiar way, and who are pretty similiar in their practices. They don't answer to one another, but they work together. They tend to range from moderately conservative to fairly liberal, but they all believe in the trinity, you probably won't find tongues in any of them, they have "The Lord's Supper" and deacons are ordained men.

I used to live near a place that called itself a Primitive Baptist. They did the washing of the feet.

I have a friend who goes to a very racially diverse Baptist Church that has a lot of shouting and loud praising of God.

My last church was a large Southern Baptist church with 22 choirs including a rock band. My current church is a small Southern Baptist Church with 1 small choir and members that threaten to quit if the youth band is allowed to play. (Oddly, I stay because OF the youth band. Go figure.)
This I understand. What a better way to get youth to visit church than to get them involved in the church? Hope they think that one over!

Upvote 0

trentlogain

Apr 25, 2007
✟15,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would encourage you or anyone to find the place that God has for you to go to. With that being said, I would be careful not to look for the most convenient and well-suited church that fits your interests. I believe that's dangerous because you will start to agree with everything that is being said. And while you need a church that has good, sound, biblical doctrine there is no way that man's influence or opinion isn't going to creep in the preaching/teaching or fellowship one way or another. To conclude, be in prayer that The Lord directs you to whatever church He will have you to go to.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.