Baptist Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good to meet a few Baptists around these parts. I been a card-carryin' Bap my whole life. I found that evangelical Bap have much in common with all Protestant and Catholic and Orthodox believers.
I Know there's this little thing about baptism, but I'm pretty open-minded. Other people can be wrong if they want: :p Arizona Al

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
Pearl said:
[GLOW=royalblue][SHADOW=blue]

Ware do I look up Baptist Theology on the WWW?

The web sites listed above by persons posting earlier are good places to start. If you are seeking a better understanding of some of major Baptist doctrines practiced or followed by the largest groups of Baptists today, you might find it useful to compare the SBC 1963 and 2000 Baptist Faith and Message statements. You can find side by side comparisons of those portions of the documents that are similar here:

http://www.baptiststart.com/doctrine.htm
http://sbc.net/bfm/bfmcomparison.asp

You can find side by side comparisons (and commentary regarding differences) of the complete texts of the two statements here:

http://www.bgct.org/bgctroot/bfm/bfmcomp.pdf

Upvote 0
Baptists stress that people hearing the Gospel must repent of their sins, have faith in Christ and be baptized to demonstrate this conversion and their discipleship. We believe that baptism in the NT was practiced only by those capable of credible faith, thus setting this issue at odds with infant baptism in many of our evangelical churches.
This issue need not disrupt joint fellowship and service between Bap and other churches. My goal in life was never to make Bap out of nonbelievers, tho if that came about...:) Dang it, tho, my bro is a Presbyterian and my sister is a Mennonite. What can I say: my folks had 8(count 'em) children and 5 are Bap, so them there per centages ain't too awful bad. Al

Upvote 0
Peter declaration's consequence came the contrition to the hearts of those men and they asked: men, brothers what we should made? Peter commands that first they have to make repentance and after repentance they must take baptism in the name of Jesus Christ. And so they that received his word were baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

In this there is very clearly order, first sermon of the word of God then contrition and penance and then those who receive word of God into theirs hearts, only those were baptized. That word repent in the verse 38 is in the original language in greek metanoeoo, which means penitence, change of mind and beginning think about the other way . When contrition came to their hearts, so Pietari urged they to regret, what means that they confess their sins. When the penitence happened in man’s heart, after that the mind of the man will start step by step changes in according to word of God.

The word of God says:

- Proverbs 28:13: He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

- 1 John 1:8-9: If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

After making of repentance comes baptism and after making of repentance when man has confess his sins comes forgiveness of sins. After that man can receive the gift of the righteousness, which is Jesus Christ.

Peter declared that the same promise had been given also to the child and all, who will hear the gospel. What was that promise?

Promise belongs": Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call

To the promises belong first the repentance and after that comes baptism. From the making of the repentance follows baptism. And from the making of the repentance follows receiving Holy Spirit and after repentance comes forgiveness of the sins.

Promise didn’t mean to baptized the babies, but promises was that after repentance man shall receive forgiveness of the sins and Holy Spirit. Also Jesus said in the gospel: “Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.”

Also the children can follow order of the gospel, what is making of the repentance and from the making of the repentance follows receiving Holy Spirit and after repentance comes forgiveness of the sins. Also after the repentance follows baptism in the name of the Jesus Christ.

Lutheran church, catholic church and orthodox church teach against the word of God, because they teach that in baptism can have forgiveness of the sins and Holy Spirit and in the baptism man comes child of God. Bible teach that man comes child of a God through faith in Jesus and Holy Spirit shall given to man through faith in Jesus and forgiveness of the sins comes to man through faith in Jesus.

http://koti.phnet.fi/petripaavola/Baptism in the Bible

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.