May 17, 2006
✟3,713.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As Baptist it would be nice to know from all that grace this forum what your opinion is on the following.

The web site I would like for you to look at involves Inductive Bible Study. Generally as I understand it I would say most if not all Baptist accept this rule of Bible Study.

Anyway vote in the poll according to how you see it after reading enough of the website to determine if this is how you believe or would approach the study of the Bible.

Thanks
Gordon

Here is the web site

http://www.preceptaustin.org/observation.htm#DO%20READ%20SCRIPTURE%20LIKE%20DR.%20WATSON%20OR%20SHERLOCK%20HOLMES

Reactions: TwinCrier

AJ

Faith, Hope & Love
Apr 28, 2004
Austin, Texas
Visit site
✟5,345.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I voted yes... I enjoy this manner of Bible study. Interestingly, this website and their classes are right here in my home town (Austin, TX). I appreciate you posting it... I am going to look at it and possibly sign up for a class! :thumbsup:

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

givengrace

Jul 6, 2006
Newnan, Georgia
✟15,256.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
GordonSlocum said:
As Baptist it would be nice to know from all that grace this forum what your opinion is on the following.

The web site I would like for you to look at involves Inductive Bible Study. Generally as I understand it I would say most if not all Baptist accept this rule of Bible Study.

Anyway vote in the poll according to how you see it after reading enough of the website to determine if this is how you believe or would approach the study of the Bible.

Thanks
Gordon

Here is the web site

http://www.preceptaustin.org/_derived/observation.htm_cmp_bars010_bnr.gif
OK Is this a joke? The page was blank except for the top heading. And if this is a joke No I'm not a blonde.

Upvote 0

Easystreet

May 17, 2006
✟3,713.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Easystreet

May 17, 2006
✟3,713.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I am reading a book at present that speaks to the subject of reading God's word. The author is suggesting that the average Christians is a tourist of the Word and not an explorer.

I thought it interesting the way he illustrates it. It may be that this poll is indicating that as well.

Taking time to really study the Bible in an intentional way using tools that are necessary for any real and correct literary understanding may only be what a very small minority engage in.

I wonder if because of the many books in the market place that seek to discredit the word that they are associated with what this web site is trying to accomplish and thus people fear it. In other words bible study that analyzes the context as Key Arthur suggest and others who are true bible teachers of how to study God's word.

It really does take effort to move from a hit and miss devotional reading or a stick and dagger approach to prove a theological point of which perhaps most of us have never really studied.

I can recall in my younger days wanting to know it all in a simple verse, jumping to conclusions at the first statement read out of context.

Keeping it in context is hard for all of us. So I have to ask the question to myself and everyone else are we really serious about understanding God's will, His plan and purpose.

Plan and purpose to some means great theological debates on method of salvation or end times. That is not the issue here. That is part of the whole but the center of solid true bible study is to know God and his will for (my life) our lives. As Francis Schafer (sp) put it, "How Then Should We Live".

I do hope that many reading this will consider this and respond to the poll. If you will give the bible study method suggested in the web site a chance your bible study will become very enriching, rewarding, and personally beneficial. You will find that bible study now centers around what you need and not the other person. It will better equip you to understand God and your relationship to Him. Only in this way can we ever be a benefit to others. We must first cast ourselves before the thrown everyday. Surrender our will to His.

Sorry got a little preachy there.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While the inductive method is useful in helping you become familiar with the Bible it very often misses the message of the Bible. A person can use these tools and never know that the message of the entire Bible is Christ and it must be understood in that light. Using these tools even with prayer doesn't require the Spirit to give light into the teaching of the Book. 1Cor. 1:10-16

One question; is this site affiliated with Joyce Meyers Precept Ministries?

EDIT: I didn't vote because I would have to say yes and no.

Upvote 0

Easystreet

May 17, 2006
✟3,713.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mlqurgw said:
While the inductive method is useful in helping you become familiar with the Bible it very often misses the message of the Bible. A person can use these tools and never know that the message of the entire Bible is Christ and it must be understood in that light. Using these tools even with prayer doesn't require the Spirit to give light into the teaching of the Book. 1Cor. 1:10-16

As far as I know NO - I would have to disagree, respectively on your evaluation. Inductive Bible study is precisely the tools that would lead a believer to a deeper walk with the lord.

Here is the POINT. All real born again believers have the holy spirit to teach them this is a given. The Word is God's word - that is a given.

So we have two givens

(1) Indwelt by the Holy Spirit our teacher

(2) The Word of God The Bible

(3) our role is to study to show ourselves approved and the inductive method teaches the meaning, purpose, and goal of all Scripture. It really is the only way to achieve understanding whereby the Holy Spirit can guide us.

(4) The teaching of the HOLY SPIRIT in Us can not be separated from correctly studying the Word. Language is very important because this is the medium in which God teaches us, The Bible. To correctly understand the Bible we must use Language and skills like Inductive Bible Study which teaches us how to use Language correctly.

They go hand in hand and we really can't separate one from the other.

Gordon

Upvote 0

Easystreet

May 17, 2006
✟3,713.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
http://www.precept.org/bot1-3.html

This web site will tell you all about the founder of the Inductive Wed Site I have put in my post.

You will fine it to be among the finest sites in Christians Bible Study Methods there are. In fact I can't think of any other that will top it in that respect.

Her approach is what you would encounter in any Conservative Baptist Theology Class where the Bible is honored and taught as the truth.

Concerning the charismatic issue. I am a Baptist. I just recently had to kindly and in a firm loving way let a Sunday school teacher know that using literature from an non-approved Baptist realm was not OK to use in church as teaching material.

If a Christian believes in into those things they need to be in a Charismatic church.

I personally an in very strong disagreement with a lot of issues in the Charismatic movement.

I hope that clears up the Charismatic issue and the site issue too.

God Bless
Gordon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Easystreet

May 17, 2006
✟3,713.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mlqurgw said:

No on Joyce. She may get involved in Kay's stuff, but no to your answer. And Kay is not Charismatic either promise. I don't think or know for that matter that Kay would say to Joyce you can't buy or use or sponsor a satellite ministry.

While I don't hold to Joyce’s theology as a Charismatic she is one of the better teachers out there and I for one am glad she exist for the Charismatic's sake. Their lack of true biblical teaching to opt for emotionalism is not good. You can clap hands, sing loud songs and repeat a single line multiple times and never understands the bible. Good feelings minus sound indoctrination is not Good.

Sound doctrinal learning from Inductive Bible study is never wrong. If it is it is the heart of the person and not the method of study. The inductive study if done correctly will reveal the heart and convert the willing person whoever they are. It is a very good tool and studies the bible correctly.

Upvote 0
Kay Arthur goes to a large Baptist church that is Biblically grounded. I know a couple of people who go to her church. Another one some women/people use that is advertised for Southern Baptist is Beth Moore studies which I haven't checked out.

Upvote 0

53Isaiah

2 Timothy 4:1-8
Nov 1, 2005
Massachusetts
✟16,176.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
GordonSlocum said:

Thanks
Gordon

Here is the web site

http://www.preceptaustin.org/observation.htm#DO%20READ%20SCRIPTURE%20LIKE%20DR.%20WATSON%20OR%20SHERLOCK%20HOLMES
"For the most objective, non-biased and "pure" inductive study, do not use paraphrased versions as your primary resource for they provide no way to determine whether or not the translator's interpretation of the original Greek and Hebrew is accurate. The more literal versions such as NAS, ESV, KJV, NKJV more accurately render the words of the original biblical authors and are therefore recommended for inductive Bible study."

I am a KJV only person. So I voted no.

Upvote 0

Easystreet

May 17, 2006
✟3,713.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
53Isaiah said:
"For the most objective, non-biased and "pure" inductive study, do not use paraphrased versions as your primary resource for they provide no way to determine whether or not the translator's interpretation of the original Greek and Hebrew is accurate. The more literal versions such as NAS, ESV, KJV, NKJV more accurately render the words of the original biblical authors and are therefore recommended for inductive Bible study."

I am a KJV only person. So I voted no.

Why would the translation into KJV from the Textus Receptus have anything to do with inductive Bible Study.

Actually, my studies in Greek involved the inductive method. Now that was a very long time ago. But inductive Bible Study is, to my knowledge, a tool not related to a language or translation.

My thoughts.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.