jakael02

Sep 27, 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
✟7,927.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So did this title get your attention? (Question is below my comments)

Of course their is not any visible unity between our two Churches in regards to belief and/or practice. But...

We Catholics feel the strict practicing Baptist AND the strict practicing Catholics are coming closer together. We have so much in common that is can be overlooked.

We both are against abortion, SS marriage, Christian principals for the state, Religious liberty, natural birth-to-natural death, anti-human cloning, anti-stem cell research....etc..etc....

Overall, I feel closer to other "DEVOUT" Protestants than many liberal/social "so-called" Catholics.

Jesus will give us unity, once we start acting unitifed in all areas in which we come together. He will do the rest of the unifying.

How do you feel regarding areas of unity that are non-doctorinal?

Nov 20, 2011
✟9,171.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Of course their is not any visible unity between our two Churches in regards to belief and/or practice. But...

We Catholics feel the strict practicing Baptist AND the strict practicing Catholics are coming closer together. We have so much in common that is can be overlooked.

We both are against abortion, SS marriage, Christian principals for the state, Religious liberty, natural birth-to-natural death, anti-human cloning, anti-stem cell research....etc..etc....

Overall, I feel closer to other "DEVOUT" Protestants than many liberal/social "so-called" Catholics.

Jesus will give us unity, once we start acting unitifed in all areas in which we come together. He will do the rest of the unifying.

to clarify this slightly, the Church does not have a blanket opposition to all stem cell research, but She does oppose the destruction of embryos for the purposes of such research.

Upvote 0

P1LGR1M

Stranger
Jun 20, 2012
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hello Jakael, long time no see, lol.

I believe firmly I have Cathoilic brothers and sisters, and that we will share in the eternal state in the presence of the Lord one glorious day.

But concerning certain doctrinal issues, which I am sure I have mentioned that I believe Catholics (as well as Baptists) range from nominal to fanatical adherence...there can be no reconciliation.

But as we meet our brothers and sisters in Christ we must discover where they are in their belief before we assume or presume to know what it is they beleieve.

But as far as open unity, I am no more in favor of ecumenical efforts than I am in yielding to core doctrines and values.

God bless.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi jakeal,

While I absolutely believe that there are some who fellowship with the catholic organization who will receive God's promised salvation, I cannot ever be in unity with what that organization teaches or practices in just about everything. Now, you may say, "Well, we all believe that Jesus died for sin...", and I would reply yes, and even Satan knows and believes that.

May I ask you some questions to see if we can be one in the spirit?

God bless you.
IN Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
E

Eric Hibbert

The problem is that Catholics and Protestants have radically different understandings on the issue of justification and ecclesiology.

The only way we would have unity is to compromise on those things we cannot compromise on.

Certainly, the Catholic Church isn't going to compromise on any of its dubious doctrines. And I see no evidence that it wants unity. After all, as far as I know, it's never rescinded its declarations of "anathema" against us. Why would it not only want to compromise on the doctrines it claims are the result of perfect infallibility, but do so in order to unite with people it insists are cursed by God?

Which of the doctrines would you like us to give up? Imputed righteousness? The five solas? Grace-based salvation? The Biblical doctrine of eternal security and a knowable salvation? The exclusivity of Christ as Mediator and Redemeer? The sufficiency of Christ's atonement?

The Reformation isn't just a curious historical event. It happened for a reason. Men died for a reason. It happened because the Catholic Church slowly, over time, became increasingly corrupt and heretical until it could no longer be recognized as Biblical Christianity and I don't see Catholicism having changed in that time.

To borrow a line from Jesus' account of Lazaus and the Rich Man, "there is a great gulf betwixt us that cannot be crossed".

I will continue to love Catholics, to pray for them, and to share the Good News that they can be saved by grace alone, but I cannot, in good conscience, unite with them.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

jakael02

Sep 27, 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
✟7,927.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In a generic response to all the posts above: It seems the responses seem to be doctorinal. We agree doctorinal differences of unity do not exist.

I was implying that their is greater unity amoung those who are devoutly focused on love; not those who are devoutly focused on theological differences.

Radical secularism/atheism is so far different from Baptist/Catholic teaching; we together look unified in comparison to our common enemy: atheism/secularism/ agnosticism.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

jakael02

Sep 27, 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
✟7,927.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
May I ask you some questions to see if we can be one in the spirit?

Thank you for ur response Ted. I'm not currently interested in doctorinal differences. I believe we can set aside doctorinal differences to fight our common enemy that is at our footstep.

Baptist or Catholics can't fight this radical secularism on their own, we need to fight together. For those who are united in this fight, I feel closeness.

Upvote 0

jakael02

Sep 27, 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
✟7,927.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
to clarify this slightly, the Church does not have a blanket opposition to all stem cell research, but She does oppose the destruction of embryos for the purposes of such research.

You are correct, I was mistaken. Church supports adult stem-cell and opposes embryo stem-cell.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
In a generic response to all the posts above: It seems the responses seem to be doctorinal. We agree doctorinal differences of unity do not exist.

I was implying that their is greater unity amoung those who are devoutly focused on love; not those who are devoutly focused on theological differences.

Radical secularism/atheism is so far different from Baptist/Catholic teaching; we together look unified in comparison to our common enemy: atheism/secularism/ agnosticism.

Thoughts?

Theological differences are first and foremost. Everything else us secondary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
E

Eric Hibbert

Thoughts?

But what is the practical difference between secularism/atheism and Catholicism? The only difference is that one group teaches false doctrine concerning the existence and nature of God, while another teaches false doctrines concerning the Gospel and the doctrine of Justification.

Either way, they're still teaching false doctrines. I just don't understand how you think we're supposed to join a group that teaches false doctrines concerning the Gospel.

I'm a very political person. My political beliefs and philosophy are very important to me. But they're not so important that I'm willing to compromise on that which is far more important.

Politics is temporal. The effects and consequences of the doctrines we choose to embrace are eternal. I would be derelict in my responsibility to God if I were to trade the eternal for the temporal.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well the Baptist here don't make me feel like I'm worthy to be a Christian. I guess I'd say I feel closer to the other Baptist who I know personally. That's the baptist faith I'd like to know and the one I'll hold in my heart.

Nobody is worthy to be a Christian.

Upvote 0

BeeWrangler

wishing I was fishing
Feb 13, 2011
The boonies
✟5,307.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well the Baptist here don't make me feel like I'm worthy to be a Christian. I guess I'd say I feel closer to the other Baptist who I know personally. That's the baptist faith I'd like to know and the one I'll hold in my heart.

I'm not Baptist or Catholic I'm simply Christian. I was raised in a Catholic church but go to Baptist church now because it is very close to what I feel God wants in a church. I know nothing about any of the other churches that are out there. Speaking personally I could never go back to a Catholic church because there is so much teaching that goes against what the bible teaches. For example the bible says to not call anyone father but the Lord our God, and what do Catholics call the preists? Father. The bible also says pray to no one but our Lord Jesus, Who do Catholics pray to? Mary. The bible says do not worship false idols, what do Catholics kneel before? The eucharist. There was someone who had posted that they changed from Baptist to Catholic and never looked back. I asked them why, they said because they went to a Catholic mass one day and the eucharist gave them such a feeling of peace they burst into tears, so they felt it was God telling them to become Catholic. I personally don't think God would use a golden idol to change someones life. I'm not saying it did not happen, I see people burst into tears and even faint at the sight of rock stars and winning lottery tickets, statues of Mary ect, so I believe it happened... I just don't believe it was God filling him with the Holy Spirit from a golden idol on an altar. I think there are plenty of Catholics who are Christians and plenty of Catholics in heaven. I just don't like that the RCC teaches people to do things the bible says not to do, so I personally would not attend a church that supports that. Besides, my eyes would get too sore from the reflections from all the gold in there. I would rather drink from plastic cups and see the gold money go to the homeless.

Upvote 0

loveabounds

Daughter of God
Mar 19, 2012
Western PA
✟15,765.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican

So it doesn't matter who is speaking truth according to Scriptures....what matters is your own understanding. which is based on false doctrine and you'd rather conform to those lies and surround yourself with those who will support them?

As Christians, we should not be offended when someone speaks truth in love, which is what you have received here in responses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jakael02

Sep 27, 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
✟7,927.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You all have made it clear on how you feel. I did not say one negative thing about your beliefs. I wished to avoid doctorinal disputes & rather focus on what we have in common, but it seems no one is interested in looking beyond our doctorinal differences.

I'm removing myself from this thread. I'm sorry you all hate who I am... a Catholic.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You all have made it clear on how you feel. I did not say one negative thing about your beliefs. I wished to avoid doctorinal disputes & rather focus on what we have in common, but it seems no one is interested in looking beyond our doctorinal differences.

I'm removing myself from this thread. I'm sorry you all hate who I am... a Catholic.

So you want us to respect your views, but you don't want to respect ours.

Ecumenicalism fail.

Upvote 0

loveabounds

Daughter of God
Mar 19, 2012
Western PA
✟15,765.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican

You state you wish to avoid doctorinal disputes and focus on commonalities. How can that be done when the very core of your beliefs go against Christ? What could we possibly have in common??

I was raise catholic. Focus is put on rituals, acts, hierarchy, and teachings that go against Scripture. Claiming that a mere human being (the pope), is infallible, believing that what Christ did wasn't good enough as your belief in purgatory insinuates.....I'm very sorry, but I can not find anything in common with beliefs such as those.

No one hates people who are catholic. What is hated is the misrepresentation of the word of God, which is soaked up like a sponge by those who do not read their Bible to know any different.

Upvote 0
E

Eric Hibbert

If our doctrinal differences were trivial differences, then we would be happy to overlook them. We regularly fellowship with fellow Christians who have different secondary and non-essential doctrines. But the problem is that the differences here are simply not something that can be overlooked.

I mean, for goodness sake, it's your religion that declared us anathema. How do you plan to overlook that???

I'm not sure who you think hates you. I've been in this thread since the beginning and all the posts I've seen have been pretty respectful to you. To borrow a line from Paul, "Are we now your enemy because we've told you the truth"?

A friend will be honest with you when he sees you in error because he cares about you and doesn't want you to continue on in error. Someone who just tells you what you want to hear and doesn't care enough about you to correct you isn't your friend.

Or, as Proverbs says, "Better is open rebuke than hidden love.
Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy."

We don't hate you at all. We just respect you enough to tell you the truth.

Upvote 0