NSW
✟8,135.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've grown up in a christian family but me and my friend want to get baptised. Im not sure if its worth it because others have asked me whats the point of getting baptised. It doesnt really mean that you are automatically a christian but i really want to dedicate my life to god and grow my faith in him. I need some opinions on this???

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've grown up in a christian family but me and my friend want to get baptised. Im not sure if its worth it because others have asked me whats the point of getting baptised. It doesnt really mean that you are automatically a christian but i really want to dedicate my life to god and grow my faith in him. I need some opinions on this???

Jesus said to his apostles:

Mat 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

He also said:

Mar 16:16 “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

At another point, the writer to the Hebrews spelled out for them what he identified as "the elementary principles of Christ":

Heb 6:1 ...the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,

Heb 6:2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Those elementary principles are repentance, faith, baptism, the laying on of hands, the resurrection, and judgement.

With baptism having been commanded by Christ then identified as one of the elementary principles of Christ, why would one say there is no need in being baptized? You should also closely read the account of the men of Samaria at Acts 8:5-17.

Reactions: Rhapsody
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟119,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I assume you are referring to water baptism.

If you want to …..it is fine ...
Biblically it is irrelevant today as it has been replaced by spirit baptism in which you are fully immersed in everything that God made unto us through Jesus Christ (by your confession)

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Water baptism would be equivalent to washing a brand new showroom displayed “Rolls-Royce Boat Tail” ….it’s an exercise in futility …but some want to do it ….which is fine.

Act 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

“When the greater came (on Pentecost) the lesser was done away with”

Reactions: deee
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Infant water baptism is not recognized in scripture. What is recognized are two baptisms, Spirit and water: John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

It is essential to believe in Jesus Christ of Nazareth with all ones heart,soul and mind. Then He will make His Home in the believer with His Holy Spirit . This is the first baptism. Then Christians follow with a water baptism as a proclamation of their conversion into a new life IN Christ.

So yes by all means get baptized in Spirit and water just as scripture describes.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If you feel compelled for full immersion baptism, don't let any one stop you. If you're willing to enter into an eternal contract with God and dedicate your life to Him, then He will reciprocate and bless you with His Holy Spirit. I don't fall in line with those who say water baptism is irrelevant; I believe it is relevant and necessary. Anything not from faith is sin. This has nothing to do with anyone else's faith but your own. If God is drawing you and your soul is crying out for baptism, then heed the call. Be baptized.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟788,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's "...the doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2).

There's 3 main Biblical ones and we need all of them.. Each one results from this new, inward, spiritual state.

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus reconcilng us to God (at salvation).
2- By another believer (water baptism) All 3 persons of the Godhead involved in this baptism as well.
3 - By Jesus who sends the promise of the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit and comes upon us
(The Spirit baptism)

More details:
1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus which reconciles us to God is the baptism at salvation. Baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ by believing in His death, burial, and resurrection. We will tell others of our salvation. (Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4-9, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13; Acts 2:38; Gal 3:27, II Cor 5:18, Rom )10:9).

Water and Spirit baptism follows salvation - not in a set order though
2 - By another believer (water baptism) "... fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness," (Matt 3:6-16, 28:18-20; Acts 8:39, 10:47, 22:16; John 3:5).

3- - By Jesus who sends the promise of the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) includes when the Holy Spirit comes upon us, He endures us with power for service to Him, to be His witnesses, and to keep His Word. (Matt 3:11, 5:16; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; John 1:33, Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31; I John 3:24; Eze 36:25-28; John 14:25-27).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟40,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I was baptized at age 13, and it symbolizes being cleansed of sin, which Jesus will do when you ask for his forgiveness and let him into your heart. Different denominations believe different things about baptism, but in the simplest of terms, baptism is a good idea, and doesn't hurt to do as it only takes a few seconds. It is like signing a pact with Jesus to promise to try and do good, and ask for his forgiveness when one stumbles. And that powerful forgiveness from Jesus would cleanse one of sins. :)

Upvote 0