Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you like your church? I’ve been told by several people that I’m not going to church for entertainment or fun, I’m going there to worship. I agree, BUT I see nothing wrong with looking forward to church and enjoying the worship experience. During Catholic Mass (when I was a Catholic) I’m so bored I can’t even pay attention to what’s going on.

I no longer attend church, primarily because of COVID but also because I am 79 and don't have the energy to attend services. I also mean that I no longer want the rituals, particularly the singing. I am content to stay home and read the Bible(s) -- I have several -- and participate in Christian forums. I worship God in the privacy of my own home and try to conduct my life in as Christian a manner as possible when I am with others. I agree that there is nothing wrong with looking forward to church and enjoying the worship experience if that is what you want to do. In fact, it's preferable to what I do now.

Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

Sharon Hayes

BigRoost
Jun 13, 2015
✟9,239.00
Faith
Christian
I’m seriously considering leaving the Lutheran LCMS for a ND church. If I do, and if I’d get Baptized again (I was Baptized Catholic as a baby) I was curious where you all were Baptized? In a pool, tub, lake/pond?
Not to take away from the blessing your parents allowed to be bestowed upon you as a baby, being fully emerged into water is how John the Baptist did it and how Jesus instructed it be done. So, now that you're an adult you want to have a similar baptism, be it in a swimming pool, tub, lake or pond.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m seriously considering leaving the Lutheran LCMS for a ND church. If I do, and if I’d get Baptized again (I was Baptized Catholic as a baby) I was curious where you all were Baptized? In a pool, tub, lake/pond?
You mean a person must be baptized in every new denomination he would join?

How many bodies does Jesus have?

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you like your church? I’ve been told by several people that I’m not going to church for entertainment or fun, I’m going there to worship. I agree, BUT I see nothing wrong with looking forward to church and enjoying the worship experience. During Catholic Mass (when I was a Catholic) I’m so bored I can’t even pay attention to what’s going on.
If you knew what was going on you'd enjoy it.
Find out.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wrong. I, like many people, knew what’s going on and still didn’t enjoy it.
I truly doubt you knew.
But it's your personal opinion and you're entitled to it.
Read Scott Hahn's book: THE LAMB'S SUPPER

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟212,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I understand both sides of the argument. The point of infant baptism is that God made the first move, he chose you, just like you chose not to be born the first time, neither did you choose to be born again.

I also understand believers’ baptism, that it’s a sign of your faith, the strong Biblical support, that believers’ baptism vs infant baptism has been a debate since the beginning, etc.

It’s a difficult question, OP. I would talk to the church leaders.

Upvote 0

Techo

Supporter
Feb 24, 2023
Melbourne
✟45,399.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
There can be valid reasons to become re-baptised. Some churches regard baptism as being an initiation into that Church. I think, in the past, a some churches regarded baptism as essential so that a baby would get into heaven if they died as a baby. (Guess they didn't notice 1Co 7:14 "For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in the brother: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy" i.e. a child is holy, because of a believing parent).

Essentially though... if God's Holy Spirit is placing a desire to be baptized then you will need to do so but... it is a relational thing also so, rather than just finding a church that has a baptism tank... or one that goes down to the local creek every so often to dunk people, you need to become established within a fellowship and then spend time talking it over with people (minister, elders, peers) within that group before deciding if this is something you can no longer refrain from.

I was baptized in the Baptist church as a public display that I had committed my life to Jesus but maybe 10 years later, in a different church, I had a much greater understanding of just what baptism meant and what we were entering into when we went into those waters. I did not have to become re-baptized and nobody expected me to do so but the Holy Spirit put the conviction upon my heart that I should do so with a fuller understanding of why I was being baptized and how I was being joined in Christ. For someone baptized (sprinkled) as a child believers baptism by full immersion can be a major next step, after committing their life to Jesus, in their growth and development as a Christian.

Upvote 0

Akjv

Feb 11, 2023
Lexington
✟20,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of the three churches I’ve been considering, one has a tub that looks to me from my seat, a built in Jacuzzi. The second does it once a year in a pond/lake at one of their churches. The third…I’m not sure. I saw a picture of someone in a pond or lake but I think that they also Baptize in colder months so I’m not sure how they do it.
I was baptized in the Muscogee River and quite a while later baptized again I the large tub in the church. Both were Baptist churches. The second time was only to become a member of that specific church. I could go to that church every Sunday but if I wanted to be a member they required a Baptism in their church. Later I switched to Nondenominational church. I believe you can choose when you want to be baptized as in not freezing cold water. imo

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟153,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was baptized in the Muscogee River and quite a while later baptized again I the large tub in the church. Both were Baptist churches. The second time was only to become a member of that specific church. I could go to that church every Sunday but if I wanted to be a member they required a Baptism in their church. Later I switched to Nondenominational church. I believe you can choose when you want to be baptized as in not freezing cold water. imo

I’m thinking about returning to the Catholic Church and was already baptized as a baby.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums