The Great Pumpkin
Mar 11, 2002
Missouri
✟760.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At a recent Wednesday night Bible class where we our studying the Holy Spirit, the teacher said that the baptism of the Holy Spirit was a 1 time event that happened at Pentecost. He said that the baptism of the Holy Spirit was when He was poured out for everyone, but that only those who become Christians access this baptism. He used the passage in Ephesians about there being only 1 baptism as evidence of his point of view. I'd never heard this before. I did a Google search and found a CoC congregation's website that basically said the same thing. Is this a regular view of Churches of Christ? Growing up we never talked much about the Holy Spirit, but I don't ever remember hearing that the baptism of the Spirit was a 1 time thing.

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At a recent Wednesday night Bible class where we our studying the Holy Spirit, the teacher said that the baptism of the Holy Spirit was a 1 time event that happened at Pentecost. He said that the baptism of the Holy Spirit was when He was poured out for everyone, but that only those who become Christians access this baptism. He used the passage in Ephesians about there being only 1 baptism as evidence of his point of view. I'd never heard this before. I did a Google search and found a CoC congregation's website that basically said the same thing. Is this a regular view of Churches of Christ? Growing up we never talked much about the Holy Spirit, but I don't ever remember hearing that the baptism of the Spirit was a 1 time thing.

Hi Heapshake,

I believe what was meant by baptism of the Holy Spirit was the manifestation of the Spirit on people for a specific purposed. I believe Luke refers to it as 'He fell upon them.' The baptism of the Spirit is associates in the NT with supernatural events, such as healing, speaking in tongues, prophesying, etc. I believe these event were for that time until the faith was established. Scripture say it was to confirm the word of the Aposltes.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
the baptism of the Holy Spirit has to come from someone with the Holy Spirit, they must enter into prayer and send the holiness upon someone that recieves it.. it isnt done all at once but greatest of faithful could probably do it to many at once...

We see that family members of Cornelius received the Spirit unassisted in Acts 10, though Peter preached the Word to those gathered at Cornelius' house. They also spoke with other tongues. Peter and his cohorts recognized this as a sign that the gentiles were worthy of receiving Christ.

It also occurred on Pentecost, the day that the Holy Spirit came to earth. The 120 in the Upper Room had committed themselves to prayer for some time before the place was filled with the sound of the mighty rushing wind. The individuals were filled with the Holy Spirit, unassisted, and spoke in other tongues.

When Phillip preached and did many signs attributable to the Spirit, the Samaritans in Acts 8 did not receive the Holy Spirit. It was when Pete and John came and laid hands on people that the people received the Spirit.

In Acts 4:31 Peter and John were before a crowd, after the furor caused by their healing the invalid at the Beautiful Gate. They preached with boldness, the place shook and all in the audience were filled with the Holy Spirit.

In Acts 9, Paul received the Holy Spirit thru Ananias laying hand on Paul.

In Acts 19, Paul laid hands on believers that had thus far only received John's baptism. These believers received the Holy Spirit and spoke in other tongues.

Based on scriptures given, I don't think one could infer that receiving the Holy Spirit came exclusively with the laying on of hands. There would seem to be more evidence that tongues followed that receipt of the Holy Spirit in believers or that unbelievers could not receiver the Spirit until they had heard the Word preached.
This is surely not to say that laying on hands is not effective in bringing about the receipt of the Holy Spirit. It is commanded in Mark 16. The events of Acts all occur after Mark 16. To me it is hard to be dogmatic on this issue but I come down on the side of permitting the unassisted receipt of the Holy Spirit.

Luke 11:9-13 is the basis for receiving the Spirit unassisted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

samcarternx

saint
Jul 17, 2010
✟16,463.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We see that family members of Cornelius received the Spirit unassisted in Acts 10, though Peter preached the Word to those gathered at Cornelius' house. They also spoke with other tongues. Peter and his cohorts recognized this as a sign that the gentiles were worthy of receiving Christ.

It also occurred on Pentecost, the day that the Holy Spirit came to earth. The 120 in the Upper Room had committed themselves to prayer for some time before the place was filled with the sound of the mighty rushing wind. The individuals were filled with the Holy Spirit, unassisted, and spoke in other tongues.

When Phillip preached and did many signs attributable to the Spirit, the Samaritans in Acts 8 did not receive the Holy Spirit. It was when Pete and John came and laid hands on people that the people received the Spirit.

In Acts 4:31 Peter and John were before a crowd, after the furor caused by their healing the invalid at the Beautiful Gate. They preached with boldness, the place shook and all in the audience were filled with the Holy Spirit.

In Acts 9, Paul received the Holy Spirit thru Ananias laying hand on Paul.

In Acts 19, Paul laid hands on believers that had thus far only received John's baptism. These believers received the Holy Spirit and spoke in other tongues.

Based on scriptures given, I don't think one could infer that receiving the Holy Spirit came exclusively with the laying on of hands. There would seem to be more evidence that tongues followed that receipt of the Holy Spirit in believers or that unbelievers could not receiver the Spirit until they had heard the Word preached.
This is surely not to say that laying on hands is not effective in bringing about the receipt of the Holy Spirit. It is commanded in Mark 16. The events of Acts all occur after Mark 16. To me it is hard to be dogmatic on this issue but I come down on the side of permitting the unassisted receipt of the Holy Spirit.

Luke 11:9-13 is the basis for receiving the Spirit unassisted.
In Acts 2 the Holy Spirit added 3,000 people to the church, I hardly think they all had hands laid on them in one day.

Upvote 0

Uncle Tommy

Just a Christian
Dec 30, 2008
Probably sitting on my bed.
✟10,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Acts 2 the Holy Spirit added 3,000 people to the church, I hardly think they all had hands laid on them in one day.

The Holy Spirit fell on 120 in the upper room. Laying hands on 3000 would not be a difficult job for 100 disciples.

Upvote 0

greatdivide46

Nov 7, 2011
Alabama
✟9,561.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am of the opinion that baptism of the Holy Spirit is the spiritual aspect of our baptism in water. There are several reasons why I believe that.

First of all speaking in tongues does not result in salvation nor regeneration, therefore, it can't be the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Secondly, Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 12:13 that we have all been baptized in the Holy Spirit, therefore, it can't be a one time event since it is something that all Christians have experienced.

Thirdly, Paul tells us in Ephesians 4:5 that there is only one baptism, therefore since all Christians have experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 12:13) and all Christians are to be baptized in water, the one baptism must be a baptism that includes water and the Spirit (see John 3:5).

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am of the opinion that baptism of the Holy Spirit is the spiritual aspect of our baptism in water. There are several reasons why I believe that.

First of all speaking in tongues does not result in salvation nor regeneration, therefore, it can't be the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Secondly, Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 12:13 that we have all been baptized in the Holy Spirit, therefore, it can't be a one time event since it is something that all Christians have experienced.

Thirdly, Paul tells us in Ephesians 4:5 that there is only one baptism, therefore since all Christians have experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 12:13) and all Christians are to be baptized in water, the one baptism must be a baptism that includes water and the Spirit (see John 3:5).

This sounds right to me based on what the Scriptures teach, and I think you did a wise thing in pointing to what Jesus said about baptism and the Holy Spirit: "...you must be born of water and the spirit..." Surely, if anyone knows what they are talking about, it would be Jesus. If Jesus seems to combine the water and the Spirit, then we probably ought to consider doing the same thing, too.

I think that Peter does this in Acts 2. I often hear people reference Acts 2.38, but I think we make a mistake if we leave out verse 39. That's where Peter refers back to Jesus comments in John 3.3-5.

When we are baptized, then we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The fact that we do not receive the gift of the Holy Spirit until after we are baptized shows how imperative it is to get baptized - if you're not baptized then you don't have the Spirit and cannot be saved! Wow! I remember when I first understood that and Peter's words finally sunk in...without baptism, we don't get the Spirit.

As you mentioned, I think this is different from the manifestations of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit can manifest himself in those who are not saved, and even in animals (cf. Balaam's donkey). Just because the Holy Spirit shows up, that doesn't mean that someone is saved. We are not born only of the spirit, but of water and the spirit. It is one event that involved both water and the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Uncle Tommy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Prerequisites for receiving the baptism of the Holy Ghost

Hunger for it. Matt. 5:6, “Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.”

Thirst. John 7:37, "In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)"

Ask for it. Zech. 10:1,” Ask ye of the Lord rain in the time of the latter rain; so the Lord shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain, to every one grass in the field.”

Luke 11:9-13, “And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 3 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?”

Believe for it. Mark 11:24, “Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.”

Mark 16:17, “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues

By hands. Acts 19:6, “And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.”

Acts 8:17, “Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.”

Obedience. Acts 5:32, “And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him

Speak in tongues as evidence of receiving the baptism of the Holy Ghost

Spirit gives utterance. Acts 2:4, “And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.”

Rom. 8:26, “ Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.”

You speak in tongues. Psalms 81:10, “I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.”

1 Cor. 14:18, “I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:”

You exercise your will. 1 Cor. 14:15, “What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.”

1 Cor. 14:32, “And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.”

You lean not to your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5-6, “ Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”

1 Cor. 14:14, “For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rgleason

Dec 31, 2005
Jacksonville FL
✟8,033.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others

When I was about 13 years old (MANY YEARS AGO!) my Aunt took me to a Full Gospel revival service where they were praying for everyone to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in tongues. It was a week long revival and the night of the last service, we were on our knees as ususal praying (around 1:A.M.) for this gift. I fell asleep and was awakened by everyone shouting and praising God and I heard someone speaking in tongues. When I realized it was me, I stopped. I still use the gift in private as I have never felt led to give a message in congregation because I don't have the gift of interpretation. I have given prophetic utterances in public worship.
Thank God Jesus rose from the dead, leading captivity captive and gave gifts to us!.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"the baptism of the Holy Spirit has to come from someone with the Holy Spirit"

TOTALLY INCORRECT

The "Baptism in the Holy Spirit" comes FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT, and all one has to do as a Christian is Ask Father for it. Other folks can certainly "Pray with you", but the Baptism DOES NOT necessarily flow through people, and it's a direct transaction between the Christian and God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
S

Steve.Page

Adding to what Bob said. The baptism of the Spirit and the gift of the Spirit are the same thing. Acts 1:4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.” We can see that the gift is the Baptism of the Spirit. In Acts 2:38 the gift of the Spirit that Peter said we would receive after repentance and water baptism is the baptism of the Spirit. I know Cornelius got the Spirit before he was baptized, but Peter was such a hard head God probably had to do that just to convince him.

Upvote 0

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Prerequisites for receiving the baptism of the Holy Ghost

Hunger for it. Matt. 5:6, “Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.”

Thirst. John 7:37, "In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)"

Ask for it. Zech. 10:1,” Ask ye of the Lord rain in the time of the latter rain; so the Lord shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain, to every one grass in the field.”

Luke 11:9-13, “And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 3 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?”

Believe for it. Mark 11:24, “Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.”

Mark 16:17, “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues

By hands. Acts 19:6, “And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.”

Acts 8:17, “Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.”

Obedience. Acts 5:32, “And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him

Speak in tongues as evidence of receiving the baptism of the Holy Ghost

Spirit gives utterance. Acts 2:4, “And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.”

Rom. 8:26, “ Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.”

You speak in tongues. Psalms 81:10, “I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.”

1 Cor. 14:18, “I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:”

You exercise your will. 1 Cor. 14:15, “What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.”

1 Cor. 14:32, “And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.”

You lean not to your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5-6, “ Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”

1 Cor. 14:14, “For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.”
I believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. None of them have ceased.

"Baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues" is a wrong claim. There is no Scripture support for this. The tongues on the Day of Pentecost were an answer to prophecy - Christ's and the prophet Joel's - that the Holy Spirit would come and empower the church.

Gifts come from the Giver. Men have no control over these gifts nor can they demand them from God.

The Assemblies of God are one group that really promote this "baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking with other tongues." That is as wrong as what some in the Restoration Movement take from Acts Chapter Two, that all must be baptized to be saved. Both are wrong and both do nothing but cause confusion within the Body of Christ. Some think they're not saved because they've not spoken in tongues and some think they are saved because they've been dunked in water. I pray that both of these bad doctrines become what has ceased.

The baptism in the Holy Spirit refers to one's entrance into the Body of Christ by way of the Holy Spirit's baptism. That is separate from gifts of the Holy Spirit. Tongues is not a superior or essential gift. Paul, who wrote New Covenant doctrine for the church called tongues a gift. The Book of Acts should not be used for church doctrine. It is a book of history, not doctrine. Yes, it is useful, but a clear reading of the Book of Acts proves that the Church transitioned over time from a Church steeped in Judaism to one that relied on their faith and God's Grace. The way some Pentecostals teach tongues it becomes legalistic. That does not help the Body.

• Agree
Reactions: Victor E.
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

Steve.Page

That is as wrong as what some in the Restoration Movement take from Acts Chapter Two, that all must be baptized to be saved.

So it appears that your position is that we can disobey Jesus' command to be baptized and still be saved. Would you say we have no need to repent either? Acts 2:38 says to repent and be baptized, if you exclude baptism you must also exclude repentance. When you start saying we don't need to do things that scripture says we must do you are on dangerous ground, and are leading others onto that same dangerous ground.

Other than that I think your post is a good one.

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So my question is.
If baptism is essential to be saved.
What if my pastor who baptized me does not believe that?
Am I saved? Did he do it correctly since he does not believe it is a requirement for salvation?

let him stand for his judgment

Yes it is a requiremet.

Mat 3
11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So my question is.
If baptism is essential to be saved.
What if my pastor who baptized me does not believe that?
Am I saved? Did he do it correctly since he does not believe it is a requirement for salvation?
Baptism is the point at which one receives the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2). There is no efficacy in the person who baptizes another, either in their faith or their lack of it, or what they believe about what they're doing. The only thing that matters is the believer's faith and whether it is their desire to share in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ (Rom 6:1-6, Gal 2:20). If you go to the water believing and obedient is all that matters.

Upvote 0