South East Queensland
✟10,846.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
As I was saying, there's nothing in that verse which tells us that he was immersed, but only that he then walked from the riven, which we all would describe as coming "out of the river."

As early paintings of Jesus being baptized show him, he most likely was standing in shallow water.

Certainly there would be. Even today that procedure would be considered by many people to be more convenient and symbolic than--what?--having John baptize a number of people in turn with a glass of water that needs to be refilled and do it while everyone is standing in the mud???? That just wasn't the method used, but neither way requires immersion and the Bible doesn't indicate that Jesus was immersed.

Upvote 0

Brian Mc

Jun 12, 2017
South East Queensland
✟10,846.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Early this morning I was reflecting on "sprinkling", a bit of water poured on the head & full immersion.

I live near the Pacific Ocean .... I see that "sprinkling", a bit of water poured on the head is a bit like coming to the edge of the ocean & dipping your toes in ...... wide wide is the ocean, high as the heaven above, deep, deep as the deepest sea is My Saviour's love ..... so get right in, have Him wash over you completely, cleanse you from head to toe ... then with Him flowing in you (grafted into the True Vine by Father), moment by moment you receive all from Him .... washed clean internally by His blood .... you are a NEW CREATION ... it is NO LONGER you who live, BUT Christ Jesus Who lives in you!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Brian.

Sprinkling and pouring (affusion) are not the same thing. Although you look down on baptisms performed using either of these methods, few churches actually use sprinkling instead of pouring...and I assure you that anyone who has three good doses of water poured upon his head and face gets the idea pretty well. Especially since that is probably the way Jesus himself was baptized.

By the way, if we take your thinking to heart concerning immersion, what do you think of baptisms that are by immersion but done in a baptistry at the front of the church? Wouldn't that be more symbolic of taking a bath than of having the waves of the Savior's love engulf you??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brian Mc

Jun 12, 2017
South East Queensland
✟10,846.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Brian.

Sprinkling and pouring (affusion) are not the same thing. Although you look down on baptisms performed using either of these methods, few churches actually use sprinkling instead of pouring...and I assure you that anyone who has three good doses of water poured upon his head and face gets the idea pretty well. Especially since that is probably the way Jesus himself was baptized.

By the way, if we take your thinking to heart concerning immersion, what do you think of baptisms that are by immersion but done in a baptistry at the front of the church? Wouldn't that be more symbolic of taking a bath than of having the waves of the Savior's love engulf you??

Upvote 0

Brian Mc

Jun 12, 2017
South East Queensland
✟10,846.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi Albion,

I believe what the Spirit of God teaches me.

Father is the God of abundance ... He sets the rules which man is instructed to abide by & rejoice in. Man, unfortunately has created all sorts of "man made" rules & doctrines, the wearing of robes, finery, church buildings, etc., etc., ... many "ideas" started by Constantine (not small meetings in houses or outside ).

Soon after I was baptised (full immersion), I received the Gift of the Holy Spirit. A short while later, under guidance from Him, I was guided to forgive a list of people (including myself a few times) that He helped me compile .... starting with my Grandparents who died before I was born (as a child I was "cranky" at them because I didn't have grandparents like other children) ... the outcome ... I have not had even a headache, a cold or an ache in almost 26 years. I recommend all "believers" seek Father to reveal to them who they haven't forgiven .... often deep down/covered/"forgotten" ..."He tells us, "Unless you forgive others, I cannot forgive you!" Matt 6:15 Trust IN the Lord, (not man) with all your heart .... Prov 3:5-6

I truly believe (& have received) ...
Matt 8:17 And thus He fulfilled what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah, He Himself took [in order to carry away] our weaknesses {and} infirmities and bore away our diseases.

Plus rely on His Spirit to teach & guide me ..... Father's goal for "believers" is
1 John 4:17 In this [union and communion with Him] love is brought to completion {and} attains perfection with us, that we may have confidence for the day of judgment [with assurance and boldness to face Him], because as He is, so are we in this world.

How can that be? ....
2 Cor 5:17 Therefore if any person is [ingrafted] in Christ (the Messiah) he is a new creation (a new creature altogether); the old [previous moral and spiritual condition] has passed away. Behold, the fresh {and} new has come!

So I encourage ALL believers to seek the Lord so that this can be theirs ...
John 14:23 Jesus answered, If a person [really] loves Me, he will keep My word [obey My teaching]; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home (abode, special dwelling place) with him. .... where They are, that is Their kingdom.

..... Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit [of Whom the oil is a symbol], says the Lord of hosts. Zech 4:6

and I truly believe all this started with my obedience to "wash the old man away" at my submission (obedience) to Him at my full immersion baptism .... not in a "church" but in the open air.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi Albion,
...Father is the God of abundance ... He sets the rules which man is instructed to abide by & rejoice in. Man, unfortunately has created all sorts of "man made" rules & doctrine...the wearing of robes, finery, church buildings, etc., etc....and I truly believe all this started with my obedience to "wash the old man away" at my submission (obedience) to Him at my full immersion baptism .... not in a "church" but in the open air.

Hi, Brian. I really don't see a reason to think there's a big difference there. The New Testament says that the first Christians worshipped in a multi-story building, and what the pastors of today wear is the attire that was worn by the Romans in the Apostolic age. That's why they do wear such things, as a matter of fact. Everyone talks about doing things the way the first Christians did, and this is some of it.

Upvote 0

Seymore Bell

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2017
Jackson, MS
✟49,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I really want to get baptised but I'm not sure if I should. I was christened as a child but this was not a choice. I never gave my life to Jesus and didn't practice my faith. Now that I am older I have given my life to God and want to be baptised. Is this wrong because I may be implying that my acceptance into the church as a child wasn't enough?

Please help. All advice is greatly appreciated.

Ch. Bell

You are between two opinion, since I was christened as a child. Should I be baptize now? Yes, baptism is not an option but a command. Baptism identify you with Christ death, burial and resurrection.
For example, We died with Him (Christ), we were burial with Him (Christ), and we rose with Him (Christ) to a new life.

I hope this help.

Upvote 0

Lybrah

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
✟62,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As you were baptised as an infant, the answers you'll get here will vary. Basically, they'll fall into two camps:

1. Your baptism as an infant doesn't need to be repeated, but you can be confirmed or reaffirm your baptism, and this is a good thing to do.

2. Your baptism as an infant wasn't truly a baptism, and you should be baptised as an adult.

This is one of the big disagreements about practice amongst various Christians.

I fall into the first camp, which says if you've been baptised, why not seek to be confirmed and make the promises for yourself? But I'm happy to discuss that further if you want to explore that set of ideas.

Yes, you're baptism as an infant is real. If one is baptized as a baby, and later becomes a Christian, do they really need to do it again?

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I was christened as a child
Did you choose to be born in the flesh? No, it was by the will of God and your parents. Did you choose to be born in the spirit? No, it was by the will of God and your parents.

You not only didn't choose to be saved, if God had not come to you first in your baptism you would never have chosen to love God or believe in Jesus Christ alone for your salvation.

You are a baptized child of God! God has made you his own in your baptism and has not ceased to call you to him. He began a good work in you and will be faithful to complete it unto the day of salvation.

You didn't accomplish anything through baptism. But through your baptism God has made you his child and heir. He has united you in the death, burial and resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ. He has gifted you with the simple faith of a little child without which no one can be saved. He has given you his Holy Spirit to lead and guide you into all truth.

Instead of doubting, remember that no matter what you may do or how far you may fall, you are baptized. And if you are baptized, God has promised to bring you through this world to salvation in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0