Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,601.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
#1 Where was WATER BAPTISM first introduced ?
According to the author of Hebrews 9:10, many baptisms (baptismos) were prescribed under the old covenant. And a survey of the various washings prescribed in Leviticus showed that, wherever the medium for washing was specified, that medium was to be water.

So, water baptisms were first prescribed on, or before, the establishment of the Levitical Law.

Still, I have to confess that it is not clear to me what point you are forwarding with the balance of your posts in this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to the author of Hebrews 9:10, many baptisms (baptismos) were prescribed under the old covenant. And a survey of the various washings prescribed in Leviticus showed that, wherever the medium for washing was specified, that medium was to be water.

So, water baptisms were first prescribed on, or before, the establishment of the Levitical Law.

Still, I have to confess that it is not clear to me what point you are forwarding with the balance of your posts in this thread.
I have yet to see the words WATER BAPTISM in the OLD TESTAMENT and you have a verse , please write where it is found ?

John the baptizer was the first one that introduced water Baptism to Israel in John 1:31 , ONLY !!

iI have yet to see where John the BAPTIZER introduced WATER BAPTISM to Gentiles or to the BODY of Christ ?
dan p

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,601.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have yet to see the words WATER BAPTISM in the OLD TESTAMENT and you have a verse , please write where it is found ?

John the baptizer was the first one that introduced water Baptism to Israel in John 1:31 , ONLY !!

iI have yet to see where John the BAPTIZER introduced WATER BAPTISM to Gentiles or to the BODY of Christ ?
dan p
Can we start by agreeing that Hebrews 9:10 makes reference to various βαπτισμοῖς (baptisms) performed under the Mosaic Covenant, as described in the OT?

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟106,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why would anybody need to know this? OT "washings" are in the dust pan of history. Christian baptism begins at Pentecost.

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,601.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why would anybody need to know this? OT "washings" are in the dust pan of history. Christian baptism begins at Pentecost.
You consider most of the Bible trash?

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can we start by agreeing that Hebrews 9:10 makes reference to various βαπτισμοῖς (baptisms) performed under the Mosaic Covenant, as described in the OT?
The Greek word that is used in Heb 9:10 was translated by the word WASHING //BAPTISMOS .
Priests had to WASH hand and feet .
In the Jews had to wash THEIR cups , pots , cooper vessels , beds and couches BEFORE eating in Luke 11:38 .

dan p

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,601.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Greek word that is used in Heb 9:10 was translated by the word WASHING //BAPTISMOS .
Priests had to WASH hand and feet .
In the Jews had to wash THEIR cups , pots , cooper vessels , beds and couches BEFORE eating in Luke 11:38 .

dan p
Yes, βαπτισμός - translated as washings in Heb 9:10, as baptisms in Heb 6:2, and as baptism in Col 2:12. So , the Greek used to refer to baptism in Heb 6:2 and Col 2:12 is used in Heb 9:10 to reference washings in the Mosaic Covenant. So, OT washings with water could just as legitimately be called OT baptisms with water. It’s the translator’s choice. In fact, Young’s Literal Translation opts to translate βαπτισμός as baptisms in Heb 9:10.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Greek word in Heb 9:10 was translated WASHING // BAPTISMOS is a nun , in the Dative Case , is in the PLURAL and is Masculine and see Heb 6:2

Mark 7:4 and 8 the BAPTIZED // BAPTISMOS , and WASHED their CUPS , CUPS , POTS .

And in Luke 11:38 WASHED // their hands before eating !!

dan p

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,601.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Greek word in Heb 9:10 was translated WASHING // BAPTISMOS is a nun , in the Dative Case , is in the PLURAL and is Masculine and see Heb 6:2

Mark 7:4 and 8 the BAPTIZED // BAPTISMOS , and WASHED their CUPS , CUPS , POTS .

And in Luke 11:38 WASHED // their hands before eating !!

dan p
So . . . The inspired text tells us that baptismos with water (literally water baptisms) were practiced in the Mosaic system. The fact that the English NT translators opted for wash/washing is not relevant to the point under consideration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,601.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In fact Young’s Literal Translation provides the following translation of Heb 9:10, “only in victuals, and drinks, and different baptisms, and fleshly ordinances -- till the time of reformation imposed upon them.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In fact Young’s Literal Translation provides the following translation of Heb 9:10, “only in victuals, and drinks, and different baptisms, and fleshly ordinances -- till the time of reformation imposed upon them.”
WATER BAPTISM was given to Israel in John 1:31 and KNOW where is the a reference , that Paul gave WATER BAPTISM to the BODY OF CHRIST , EVER , unless you have a verse that I MISSED ?

dan p

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,601.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
WATER BAPTISM was given to Israel in John 1:31 and KNOW where is the a reference , that Paul gave WATER BAPTISM to the BODY OF CHRIST , EVER , unless you have a verse that I MISSED ?

dan p
Paul baptized some in the Body of Christ, although it was not the focus of his calling.

1Cor 1:14-16 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul baptized some in the Body of Christ, although it was not the focus of his calling.

1Cor 1:14-16 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
#1 Here in 1 Cor 1:15 reads , LEST // ME is a DISJUNCATIVE PARTICLE NEGATIVE and means that COULD NEVR WATER BAPTIZE anyone , because then Paul would then BAPTIZED in his name .

LEST // ME means He or anyone ELSE baptize in their NAME ?

dan p

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,601.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1 Here in 1 Cor 1:15 reads , LEST // ME is a DISJUNCATIVE PARTICLE NEGATIVE and means that COULD NEVR WATER BAPTIZE anyone , because then Paul would then BAPTIZED in his name .

LEST // ME means He or anyone ELSE baptize in their NAME ?

dan p
Granted, Paul's assertion was that there were some that he did not baptize. However, he also informs us that he DID baptize gentiles Crispus and Gaius and he also baptized some in the household of another gentile - Stephanas.

And his point of emphasis was that having baptized a minority of those to whom he ministered would discourage any from falsely asserting that he was baptizing followers in his own name - baptizing followers of Paul.

Still, under the authority of Scripture, Paul baptized (with water) gentile members of the Body of Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And in Mark 7:4, 8 the Jews were WASHING // BAPTISMOS in the ACCUSATIVE CASE and in the PLURAL , were washing cups , pots , and tables and the same Greek word is used in Heb 9:10 and in Heb 6:2 .

I say that they are still practicing even today , even those the Law of Moses has been set aside as written in 2 Cor 3:13-15 .

Paul wrote in 1 Cor 15:29 of BAPTISM for the DEAD .

YUR thoughts here ??

Christian Baptism began at Pentecost ? Actually Acts 1:5 says when it began and , it began with John 1:31 .

dan p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums