United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lung cancer (or any cancer) is not an acute illness. It takes multiple damages to DNA to eventually develop lung cancer. 1 minute of secondhand smoke is not going to cause cancer.

At least this isn't as dumb as the large soda ban.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think if plenty of people complain . Getting rid of certain things happen.
Never mind any freedom to smoke...
Complainers will always be right...
Doesn't sound like a nice world to me..
I think the car is a huge issue. In CA they been trying to get cleaner gas. And stuff like that. Personally, I think walking or bikes is better idea. I know in certain areas fire works aren't allowed. Because of fire hazard.
Well, i think prohibiting smokers to smoke outside is ridiculous.
As long as there are cars driving around and any other source of exhaust is there, leave the smoker be.

Upvote 0

Sunshine21

Jan 26, 2018
United States
✟21,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can't stand it either. It's one of my pet peeves, truth be told. However, where I live, I think they went a bit too far in banning smoking in bars and taverns. I don't go to those places anyway, but it still doesn't seem to make sense. Now every time I bike past a bar, I have to smell the cigarette smoke from the group of people standing outside the (open) door.

One thing I really applauded when they came out is electronic cigarettes. When they arrived, I had the impression that people were going to flock to them because they were said to be safer, cleaner, and even a way to break the habit, and doesn't make people around them suffer. I hardly see anyone using them though. So the cigarette butts laying all over the ground everywhere you look continues.
Yeah I agree. It just seems hard to police the sidewalks. As far as the bars I don't care either. I never attend bars. Here they aren't allowed in restaurants and I will say that's been nice. Where I live it seems no one uses e-cigs either. It is amazing to me how far smoke travels. They can be 40 feet away and I will still smell before I see it.

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟655,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I agree. It just seems hard to police the sidewalks. As far as the bars I don't care either. I never attend bars. Here they aren't allowed in restaurants and I will say that's been nice. Where I live it seems no one uses e-cigs either. It is amazing to me how far smoke travels. They can be 40 feet away and I will still smell before I see it.

There have been times when I've been biking or walking and don't see anyone else around, and then suddenly I smell cigarette smoke. I look around to find out who's doing it and can't see anyone at all. Kind of gives me the creeps sometimes.

Upvote 0

Sunshine21

Jan 26, 2018
United States
✟21,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There have been times when I've been biking or walking and don't see anyone else around, and then suddenly I smell cigarette smoke. I look around to find out who's doing it and can't see anyone at all. Kind of gives me the creeps sometimes.
Oh that is creepy! I sometimes smell it from my neighbors before I see them. I swear it is a good 40 feet from me. And yet studies say it can be that far. Well it is for me.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟655,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh that is creepy! I sometimes smell it from my neighbors before I see them. I swear it is a good 40 feet from me. And yet studies say it can be that far. Well it is for me.

It all depends on how the wind is blowing.
My neighbors are literally only 5 feet away from me. Houses this old were built close together. I was seriously thinking of moving this summer, somewhere that is a more reasonable distance from neighbors. Looks like I'll have to make it more than 40 feet away. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Sunshine21
Upvote 0

Sunshine21

Jan 26, 2018
United States
✟21,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It all depends on how the wind is blowing.
My neighbors are literally only 5 feet away from me. Houses this old were built close together. I was seriously thinking of moving this summer, somewhere that is a more reasonable distance from neighbors. Looks like I'll have to make it more than 40 feet away. ;)
It comes into my house from my neighbors so I know your pain. Especially during summer when we all have our doors open. I too need 40 plus feet lol.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,194,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One thing I really applauded when they came out is electronic cigarettes. When they arrived, I had the impression that people were going to flock to them because they were said to be safer, cleaner, and even a way to break the habit, and doesn't make people around them suffer. I hardly see anyone using them though.
This is antidotal but being in a almost majority smoking business, construction, I have noticed a major shift towards vapeing in the past few years on job sites.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,548.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Lung cancer (or any cancer) is not an acute illness. It takes multiple damages to DNA to eventually develop lung cancer. 1 minute of secondhand smoke is not going to cause cancer.

At least this isn't as dumb as the large soda ban.
It's not 1 minute of smoking, it's ANOTHER 1 minute of smoking.

It also is in addition to all the other toxins we humans pump into the air with our machines, our cars, sprays and cooking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't smoke and never have, but this is over the top. You can't smoke outside and walk, but the 5,000 cars driving by you spewing pollution, is just peachy.

Some people, just have too much time on their hands and a bent ideology, that isn't in touch with reality.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you think is one's right to put various chemicals into another property owner's airspace?

(Serious question)
I don't like it when ash and soot clouds and carbon monoxide in large amounts blow into my space from the neighbour's garden, when they BBQ.
A little smell of tobacco smoke never bothered me before i started smoking tobacco myself.
It's not as if people from outside my home can set my space in smoke with tobacco.
And what if they're frying garlic?
...in sesame oil?
That's a much stronger smell not everyone is a fan of.

But let's get back on topic.
Smoking outside, while walking.
Who cares?
It must be some kind of principle people cherish to want to prohibit it.
What's next? Forbidding obese people to wear tight thin clothes?
hmm... that's not a bad idea actually...

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟655,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Sometimes people end up getting far more than 1 minute of it. One time I tried riding a Greyhound bus to California to see my grandparents and there were people smoking on the bus--including a person in the seat with me. I had to put up with it for hours and got very sick from it. When we made an unscheduled stop, I got off the bus to get some air and started feeling better, but then the driver got mad at me for being off the bus and made me get back on. Several more hours later, I got off at a transfer point and ended up getting on a bus going back home while my luggage continued to my destination. When I got it back, anything of value had been stolen, along with my last chance to see my grandparents.

Upvote 0

Sunshine21

Jan 26, 2018
United States
✟21,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So how about BBQ then?
BBQ don't bother me at all. It's like a campground. The campfire smoke doesn't bother me unless it does that thing where it follows you around and goes directly up your nose when you're sitting right by it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sunshine21

Jan 26, 2018
United States
✟21,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And neither does the smells from cooking. I am sure any smell, if it was extremely overwhelming, infiltrated and stuck to the walls the way cigarette smoke does, it would overwhelm me. Chocolate chip cookie smell would become annoying and then nauseating. But generally, those smells aren't as strong to me. I actually get sick smelling cigarette smoke. I have asthma and my body reacts.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
One thing I really applauded when they came out is electronic cigarettes. When they arrived, I had the impression that people were going to flock to them because they were said to be safer, cleaner, and even a way to break the habit, and doesn't make people around them suffer. I hardly see anyone using them though. So the cigarette butts laying all over the ground everywhere you look continues.

I smoked for about 30 years and had started trying an e-cig. After a minor health issue one night I stopped smoking, got a few extra batteries and went exclusively to vaping. Over a little less than a year I worked my nicotine content from 18mg to 0mg so now I'm just vaping for the flavor. It's been 18 months and I don't even have the urge to smoke any more.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟655,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And neither does the smells from cooking. I am sure any smell, if it was extremely overwhelming, infiltrated and stuck to the walls the way cigarette smoke does, it would overwhelm me. Chocolate chip cookie smell would become annoying and then nauseating. But generally, those smells aren't as strong to me. I actually get sick smelling cigarette smoke. I have asthma and my body reacts.

We seem to be so much alike! ;)

Upvote 0