They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Rant...
We all know it. Way too many people who shouldn't be parents, are parents. The list of selfish reasons goes on and on. The effect is the same though, bad parents; and way too many of them. I was just thinking, back in the days before reliable, methods of birth control; back when everyone had kids. How many of those people would have liked to have been childfree if they could? Were children seen as blessing of marriage by everyone? Or were they just something they everyone had to do and get through? I mean, with so many different people back in the old days, becoming parents, do you think maybe all that diversity of parenting lowered the standards? Do you think since everyone became a parent, that a bad parent wasn't so much a phenomenon? I mean, with so many bad parents in the world where every couple became parents, do you think maybe bad parenting became a form of normality?

I mean, think about it. Why did farmers want kids? Because they're so cute? Try free labor. Taking care of the baby is mom's job, then when it's old enough the kid's only job is to help dad on the farm, but then the kid gets all these twisted ideas about school and college and going off to the city and leaving his pa (no doubt put into his head by his mother, silly mother, what good is sending their kid off to college going to do her husband?). What about wealthy aristocrats? Without any children who are they to pass their wealth, their mini-empire, too? Without a child to carry on the family name, all that money would be given, after the couples' death, to the poor in a flee market and that would be unthinkable. Just think of all those grubby starving hands reaching for your china, if nothing else insults you surely that would. Without a son to marry off to that Darby girl how are you going to get a hold of her father's land? But of course, if your son should fall in love with a pauper (God forbid) it'd be as insulting as if he'd fallen into inappropriate behavior with animals (and with the way the poor dress, maybe he has).

What good are parties with out and innocent naive daughter to show off. Such a fine daughter could build up a strong alliance between you and the Wellington family, which would further your mini-empire considerably. Of course, raising the kids is none of your responsibility, that's mom's job, your job is to deal with the real world; to face the manly elements. Your job is to provided shelter to your innocent daughter, so naive she doesn't even know how to parallel park or read past a fourth grade level.
...end rant.

Sorry, just a rant. But it's an interesting thought. Bad parenting is good parenting. It's a "respectable" excuse to be a bad parent. Interesting idea, that there may have been so many bad parents that society catered toward them to help them cope with their situation by looking at it...more objectively? If you can't love your kids, you can at least get some good use out of them. Wonder how much of that is still around today? Just a thought. If you need more food for thought, read David Copperfield. Now wasn't he a good firm "respectable" father?

Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Way too many people who should be parents, are parents.
You've left me confused. After the first line or two I really wasn't certain what you were talking about. Some breaks in text may have helped. What I "think" I did understand sounds interesting.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think there have always been people who didn't want kids, but since the only reliable method of avoiding them was avoiding sex, they had kids.

I think that's the cause for the phenomena of children throughout the ages wanting to be better parents than they had. I also think that's why so many parents now are so permissive.

If I'm understanding your post right, you're saying there were cultural benefits to having kids, even if you weren't a good parent? Like, farmers would have kids for free labor, even if they treated them poorly? I think that still goes on today. People have kids to save their marriages, or to carry on the family name, or to raise a little army of evangelicals. I don't think enough people examine themselves to make sure they are in the right frame of mind and emotional health to have children.

Upvote 0

bluebug83

Jan 5, 2007
✟8,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was recently thinking about that idea, if I was born in an era of no birth control how would I feel about being "forced" to have kids? Honestly, I don't think I'd care because it wouldn't be a viable choice I could consider. Kind of like, right now I don't have the choice to not work, so I can't imagine what life would be like if my husband and I had the choice to not have jobs, and I don't mind being "forced" to have a job as a result.

Also, as Command mentioned, back in those days kids were more of an asset, so there would be more positives to having kids and therefore I think I'd be more open to having them. Societies worked better at raising kids as a collective whole, so parents got help. There wasn't the pressure to entertain kids with video games and the like, they went outside and knew how to play by themselves so parents had time to themselves. There wasn't pressure to buy your kids lots of fancy toys, shuttle them to sports/scouting/other extracurricular activities, and pay for college. Society wasn't so child-centric so kids didn't grow up as selfish. I honestly think this is one of the most challenging periods in history to raise kids, making the choice to not have them all the more tempting.

Upvote 0

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I honestly think this is one of the most challenging periods in history to raise kids, making the choice to not have them all the more tempting.
(Emphasis mine) Gee, you make it sound like being Childfree is a vice! ;)
/me shrugs
Oh well, there are worst vices one could have.

Upvote 0

Rembrandtfan

He's here, the Phantom of the Opera
Jul 18, 2007
La La Land
✟9,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess some people think bad parenting is better than no parenting at all.

A woman not who lived not far from me shot her two kids and killed them. A man drowned his three kids in the bathtub. These have both been in the news lately. Do people really think just anyone should be parents?

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In Edwardian, Georgian and Victorian times it was often the case that children of the aristocracy rarely saw their parents. The parents left them with "nurses", "nannies", and "tutors" all the time until they either reached the age of majority or "came out" into society. I *think* that's how it was handled ;(.
Rachel

Upvote 0

bluebug83

Jan 5, 2007
✟8,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(Emphasis mine) Gee, you make it sound like being Childfree is a vice! ;)
/me shrugs
Oh well, there are worst vices one could have.

LOL :) Nah, I was speaking about it from a personal choice perspective, that I'm more likely to not want kids in a world where raising them is tough vs. a world where raising kids is easier.

On that note, I'm getting kind of hungry, so I'm tempted to go cook dinner. Oops, is eating now a bad thing? ;)

Upvote 0