Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone know where I can go to get a background check?

I called a local store and they told me that in order for them to run me they had to have a gun's seriel number to go with it. In other words, I had to start the process of actually buying a gun. I just need to know if I'm going to be eligible or not. Any ideas?

• Informative
Reactions: AllDayFaith

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I called a local store and they told me that in order for them to run me they had to have a gun's seriel number to go with it. In other words, I had to start the process of actually buying a gun. I just need to know if I'm going to be eligible or not. Any ideas?

Usually the gun store calls in the background check. I don’t think that the ones we can run on ourselves goes through the same people. Normally they are pretty quick, about 10 minutes over the phone, but we are not in normal times at the moment.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You can't run one on yourself because you don't have access to the system but if you go to your local police or sheriff's department they will probably run one for you.

• Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The reason the store told you this is because it cost them time and bogs down the system so they have agreed to not run checks for no reason other than buying a gun. But you already KNOW if you can pass or not because you have any or more than one of these following conditions in your history. If you don't, you will pass. If you KNOW you don't have these in your past and they do come up because somebody stole your identity you have recourse to appeal and be cleared. If you underwent the processes to have any of these expunged, you KNOW why and how much you paid your attorney, therefore and again, you KNOW;
  • Been convicted of a felony.
  • Been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by more than one year or a misdemeanor punishable by more than two years. This is the primary reason why requests for firearm transfers are denied.
  • Been indicted for a crime punishable by more than one year.
  • Been a fugitive from justice.
  • Are a user of illegal drugs or an addict.
  • Been involuntarily committed to a mental institution.
  • Are an illegal alien.
  • Been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces.
  • Renounced U.S. citizenship.
  • Been subject to a restraining order for threatening a family member.
  • Been convicted of domestic violence.
  • Be under an indictment, but not convicted, of a crime carrying a possible year-long prison sentence.

• Informative
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Here in Canada, you would go to the local police, fill out an application, and pay some money (I think it's $40 or $45). We have a federal license system with three classes of licence; Possession and Acquisition License; Restricted Possession and Acquisition; Prohibited Possession and Acquisition. The first two require federally mandated safety courses, The third, if you hold either of the first two can only be grand-fathered from owner to owners children; no new prohib licenses have been issued outside of the Grandfather clause (other than museums) since the prohibitions came into effect about 25 years ago.

Not only does the issuance of any of these licenses require passing these courses, but includes an extensive application form that includes personal references, spousal approval, and the RCMP does an extensive criminal and mental health background check before approval.

Since we have a national police data base, every single license holder is checked electronically at least once every 24 hours.

So, how does this affect Canadians?
Well, there are almost zero incidence of gun crimes being committed by legal owners.
Virtually zero legally sourced firearms being used in gun crimes of any kind.
We have a society with lots of legal guns and lots of legal gun owners, and no need to carry firearms for personal defense, unless you are in law enforcement or security work. (Carry permits are available to trappers, Hunting & fishing guides, and persons who work in remote areas where there is the possibility of bear attacks.)
Police really don't care or worry about legal owners; they can concentrate on those who illegally possess and use firearms.

It's not so bad.

What is bad is when our politicians cite violence statistics in the US as though they were our own to instill panic among the uneducated masses to get re-elected on the promise of "fixing Canada's (non existent problem with legal guns).

We are far from perfect, but it's not as bad as the NFA wants our US neighbors to believe.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here in Canada, you would go to the local police, fill out an application, and pay some money (I think it's $40 or $45). We have a federal license system with three classes of licence; Possession and Acquisition License; Restricted Possession and Acquisition; Prohibited Possession and Acquisition. The first two require federally mandated safety courses, The third, if you hold either of the first two can only be grand-fathered from owner to owners children; no new prohib licenses have been issued outside of the Grandfather clause (other than museums) since the prohibitions came into effect about 25 years ago.

Not only does the issuance of any of these licenses require passing these courses, but includes an extensive application form that includes personal references, spousal approval, and the RCMP does an extensive criminal and mental health background check before approval.

Since we have a national police data base, every single license holder is checked electronically at least once every 24 hours.

So, how does this affect Canadians?
Well, there are almost zero incidence of gun crimes being committed by legal owners.
Virtually zero legally sourced firearms being used in gun crimes of any kind.
We have a society with lots of legal guns and lots of legal gun owners, and no need to carry firearms for personal defense, unless you are in law enforcement or security work. (Carry permits are available to trappers, Hunting & fishing guides, and persons who work in remote areas where there is the possibility of bear attacks.)
Police really don't care or worry about legal owners; they can concentrate on those who illegally possess and use firearms.

It's not so bad.

What is bad is when our politicians cite violence statistics in the US as though they were our own to instill panic among the uneducated masses to get re-elected on the promise of "fixing Canada's (non existent problem with legal guns).

We are far from perfect, but it's not as bad as the NFA wants our US neighbors to believe.
We are all going to die at some time and all of us will die from stoppage of the heart. There will be evil people and there will be good people. There are mothers who commit mass murder (according to the FBI definition) by killing their own babies in a bathtub. If a woman has 4 abortions, hasn't she committed mass murder with permission of the government? Anyway, consider this, 315 million guns in the US population. If gun ownership mean death, there would be 315 million mass shootings every day. If registration and confiscation and total control mean no deaths, then there would be no (not almost) deaths in Canada and every country where they are controlled by the government. Isn't that equal to the logic used to take away individual rights for the sake of safety.

• Agree
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We are all going to die at some time and all of us will die from stoppage of the heart. There will be evil people and there will be good people. There are mothers who commit mass murder (according to the FBI definition) by killing their own babies in a bathtub. If a woman has 4 abortions, hasn't she committed mass murder with permission of the government? Anyway, consider this, 315 million guns in the US population. If gun ownership mean death, there would be 315 million mass shootings every day. If registration and confiscation and total control mean no deaths, then there would be no (not almost) deaths in Canada and every country where they are controlled by the government. Isn't that equal to the logic used to take away individual rights for the sake of safety.

I do agree with most of your post, however statistics speak for themselves: https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/gun-deaths-by-country/

USA 12.21 Firearm deaths / 100,000
Canada 2.05 Firearm deaths / 100,000

Those numbers do not differentiate legal vs. illegal, and they do not reflect accidental or suicides with firearms.

So, the question remains; will new more stringent laws fix anything? No!

Upvote 0