Authoritative sources research doctrinal positions Independent Fundamental Baptist Pastors/Churches

pkeck

Jun 17, 2014
✟16,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is there an authoritative source(s) used by Independent Fundamental Baptist Pastors/Churches when researching the positions/views they hold on both doctrinal issues as well as other topics of interest within this type of church? Particularly looking for an online source for my researches, but could be other formats like publications as well.

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is there an authoritative source(s) used by Independent Fundamental Baptist Pastors/Churches when researching the positions/views they hold on both doctrinal issues as well as other topics of interest within this type of church?

I think the trouble you'll have with this is in the name: they're independent. So there is no centralized governing body. Most point to the King James version of the Bible as their authority.

There are a variety of blogs that will give you information about these churches, but there is no guarantee that all IFB churches will adhere to everything any given blog states...or that even that the blogs will agree with each other.

IndependentBaptist.com

In general, what you'll find in the IFB is roughly something like this: a service consisting of songs (hymns and gospel songs up to roughly the mid 20th century) typically with piano accompaniment though some will have organ/orchestra, prayer, and a sermon. This will likely be followed by an altar call. Men in coat and tie, women in skirts. There may or may not be a dedicated choir.

The typical service schedule will be twice on Sunday (AM/PM) and Wednesday night. There will be a Sunday School session for both adults and children at some time during the Sunday morning activities either preceeding or after the worship service.

Doctrinally, they will be OSAS and adhere to adult baptism by immersion at an age of accountability. As far as eschatology, they believe in a pre-tribulation, pre-millenial rapture of the church. At one point, some of the IFB decided to throw out Numbers 12 and bought into a unscriptural concept that dark skin was the curse of Cain and as a result race mixing was banned...but I have no idea how widespread this became. The idea seems to have died out after the Bob Jones University kerfuffle.

Much of the doctrine of the IFB movement was shaped by the study notes of the old Scofield Study Bible, though I think most of them today are actual seven day creationists instead of gap theorists like Scofield himself.

Evangelicalism could learn a great deal from the steadfastness of the IFB. There are many saints in that movement who sincerely seek to follow Jesus. Ultimately, after a deep dive into church history, simply wrapping the Zwinglian/Anabaptist faith and message in a mid 20th century wrapper wasn't enough for me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Baptists are by definition independent. You may want to find out when the IFB movement started. I used to know but I am old and my forgetterer is much better than my rememberer. I do know that they started because of liberalism creeping into the Baptists churches. I just can't remember if it was mid to late 1800's or early 1900's.

Most, if not all, IFB are Dispensational in theology. That began, I believe, in the 1900's when the Schofield Bible began to become widespread.

I would think that if you researched Dispensationalism and the men who wrote on it: "Dispensational Truth" by Clarence Larkin; "Dispensationalism Today" by Charles Ryrie; and books written by John Walvoord you would find your resources for IFB doctrine.

Upvote 0