Politics
US-Republican
augustine
-thomas proved that faith was reasonable
-augustine proved there was no reason without faith
-not my favorite saint, but he would certainly make my top five
-wanted to name my son augustine but his mother wouldn't have it
-it is my son's middle name
-it is my hope that some day he would wonder about augustine and be inspired by him as I have been
-here I would like to share some of my favorite augustine quotes
-hope you have some
-hope you have an opinion about him

I have had a problem finding the source of some of these quotes

victorinus

catholic
May 15, 2016
usa
✟42,422.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
this is my favorite which I believe came from city of God but I can't confirm that
-
"So while the love of truth requires dedicated leisure, the needs of love can be satisfied only in fruitful activity. If the burden of rule is not imposed upon us, we should devote our time to the discovery and guarding of the truth. If it is imposed upon us, it should be borne to satisfy the claims of charity; but not to the extent of surrendering the loving search for the truth, lest through losing the sweet refreshment of the latter we be overwhelmed by the burden of the former."
-
this is what you will find in
city of God, book 19, chapter 19

"And therefore holy leisure is longed for by thelove of truth; but it is the necessity of love to undertake requisite business. If no one imposes this burden upon us, we are free to sift and contemplate truth; but if it be laid upon us, we are necessitated for love's sake to undertake it. And yet not even in this case are we obliged wholly to relinquish the sweets of contemplation; for were these to be withdrawn, the burden might prove more than we could bear."
-
here thomas quotes augustine
-
so you have three versions of what might be the same thing
so you have to give the translator some credit for the version that inspired me

Upvote 0

victorinus

catholic
May 15, 2016
usa
✟42,422.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
this one convinced me that I was not wasting my time on the apocalypse

"What then, Brothers, shall we keep silence?
Why then read it if only to keep silence about it?
Or why hear it if it is not to be explained?
But also,
why explain it if it is not to be understood?"

have no idea where this came from, still looking

Upvote 0

victorinus

catholic
May 15, 2016
usa
✟42,422.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
most will not like this one
-
confessions book 9 chapter 9
"And besides this, as he was earnest in friendship, so was he violent in anger; but she had learned that an angry husband should not be resisted, neither in deed, nor even in word. But so soon as he was grown calm and tranquil, and she saw a fitting moment, she would give him a reason for her conduct, should he have been excited without cause. In short, while many matrons, whose husbands were more gentle, carried the marks of blows on their dishonoured faces, and would in private conversation blame the lives of their husbands, she would blame their tongues,"
-
I will use the trump defense
-
hey! I am just quoting augustine who is quoting his mother

Upvote 0

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am reading Augustine and like a lot about him but I'm wondering how much Platonism influenced him. In particular did it encourage the use of State power to enforce religion and morals? Did it encourage a negative view of the emotions or passions? How did it influence his view of the relation of soul and body?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums