Roodepoort
✟7,929.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am a retired minister in the Reformed Churches of South Africa.

I am still doing reseach, study and reading and reading. I love to write.

I did my doctoral exams in Hebrew/Semitic languages. My doctoral thesis was in dogmatics.

I love the KJV with whole my heart. In South Africa we also have a translation like the KJV and the Dutch Statenvertaling. This is the 1953-translation (also called the Old Translation and Totius-translation. It is according to the same principles as the KJV (Textus Receptus etc).

Alas since 1983 we got 2 new translations: 1. the 1983/1992 a Nida translation 2. the 2020 translation. Both is like all the new translations in the world, using Nestle-Aland and using the Septuagint much.

I want to ask the following questions with regard to the Septuagint:

1. Is there somewhere a list of all the texts/verses where the Septuagint deviate from the Masoretic text?
2. Is there a good, sound, really reformed book on the Septuagint?

In Christ

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I did my doctoral exams in Hebrew/Semitic languages. My doctoral thesis was in dogmatics.

I love the KJV with whole my heart. In South Africa we also have a translation like the KJV and the Dutch Statenvertaling. This is the 1953-translation (also called the Old Translation and Totius-translation. It is according to the same principles as the KJV (Textus Receptus etc).

Alas since 1983 we got 2 new translations: 1. the 1983/1992 a Nida translation 2. the 2020 translation. Both is like all the new translations in the world, using Nestle-Aland and using the Septuagint much.

1. Is there somewhere a list of all the texts/verses where the Septuagint deviate from the Masoretic text?

In Christ
Hi there welcome! Look forward to you sharing any input in regards to your inquiries above. To me these are very important questions. Some of the variations between the text you mentioned of the Old and New are to vast to be ignored but most do.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟551,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF.
---
I visited South Africa..many years ago.
- I remember..Table Mountain.

Blessings,
--
* Maybe..you can post your interest/questions on..
- sub forums..'Christian Scriptures, Semper Reformanda, etc..'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In Christ
Hi Attie Bogaards,

Nice to meet you!

About your first question, the short answer is No. As I understand it, the challenge is that they are in two different languages, so how do you decide if something is actually a deviation or not?

To use an unrelated example, suppose I wanted to translate the Spanish Adios into English.
I could take a literal approach: With God.

Or translate the meaning: Goodbye.

Is one of those a deviation?

About your second question, I think most of the books on the Septuagint are written by Orthodox folks, because they are the ones most interested in it.

Peace be with you!

Upvote 0