Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Apparently strongly atheistic people are as psychologically healthy as strongly religious people; it is the uncertain people like me who are not as psychologically healthy.

Of course as far as I know this is only a correlation. A person cannot simply wish to be certain so that he/she can enjoy better psychological health (although certain studies and practices might help). Also it is possible that psychological unhealthiness is the cause of the religious uncertainty and mental dithering rather than the other way around. And of course people who experience difficulties in life that can cause psychological problems may find more cause to doubt the comfortable verities.

Here is the quote and link:
These results tantalizingly suggest that ‘certainty of belief,’ rather than the content of the belief itself, may be a key determinant of positive mental health in the groups studied. Contrariwise, uncertainty or inconsistency of belief, as sometimes witnessed in agnostics, the non-affiliated and the ‘spiritual but not religious’ may be a risk factor for poor mental health.
The Mental Health of Atheists and the 'Nones'

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can see that.. I had a few in-between periods when I lost my Christian faith yet wouldn't call myself an atheist. Was pretty bad, especially from a guy who likes order.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Apparently strongly atheistic people are as psychologically healthy as strongly religious people; it is the uncertain people like me who are not as psychologically healthy.

Of course as far as I know this is only a correlation. A person cannot simply wish to be certain so that he/she can enjoy better psychological health (although certain studies and practices might help). Also it is possible that psychological unhealthiness is the cause of the religious uncertainty and mental dithering rather than the other way around. And of course people who experience difficulties in life that can cause psychological problems may find more cause to doubt the comfortable verities.

Here is the quote and link:

The Mental Health of Atheists and the 'Nones'
My dad was an atheist. He was absolute in his unbelief. Such people do not have the self doubt that most others suffer. I don't believe that is a good thing. Psychological health is one thing, spiritual health is far more important - a matter of life and death in fact. Sometimes I listen to Christian comedian, Anita Renfrew. She said that King David would be diagnosed as bipolar today. That is funny, but most humour has an element of truth. Those full of self doubt and suffer in the soul are often the strong spiritually. Spurgeon suffered depression. Seems impossible for such a man of God. Yet it is the truth.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know. I would say my beliefs are valid for me but I could never say I'm certain they were factually correct and I'm OK mentally.

Then again, I believe in multiple deities, I'm a furry, and I stare at birds through binoculars for fun, so there you go.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, depends what they mean by "strongly" atheist. I consider myself a weak atheist as far as not claiming to know there is no God, just that I lack the sufficient evidence to believe in one.

Still depending no how one uses the term strongly atheist I might consider myself one. My mind is at peace with my lack of a belief, and I do not really see myself ever changing.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Conclusion: People like being right about things, so if you feel like you're right, rather than that you don't really know, you'll probably have better mental health than someone who cannot say that with certainty.

Wow. Amazing article, Psychology Today. :rolleyes: So groundbreaking.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, depends what they mean by "strongly" atheist. I consider myself a weak atheist as far as not claiming to know there is no God, just that I lack the sufficient evidence to believe in one.

Still depending no how one uses the term strongly atheist I might consider myself one. My mind is at peace with my lack of a belief, and I do not really see myself ever changing.

Not to sound insulting, but history will tell the tale. It's how I ended up where I am, and there's a lot there to be discovered.

Forgive me please if this comes across the wrong way.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not to sound insulting, but history will tell the tale. It's how I ended up where I am, and there's a lot there to be discovered.

Forgive me please if this comes across the wrong way.

No offense taken.

Sometimes I wonder how many of my generation will become theists again when they get older (40s on up). I've seen it happen with a few. Just for me, I think my faith was destroyed when I lost it. It was pretty traumatic and I think I've become way to self aware.

• Friendly
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No offense taken.

Sometimes I wonder how many of my generation will become theists again when they get older (40s on up). I've seen it happen with a few. Just for me, I think my faith was destroyed when I lost it. It was pretty traumatic and I think I've become way to self aware.

I appreciate your kindness.

I can't say I was in an exact same situation, but I only ask that you continue to search, question, and learn if you want the truth. The answer is out there. For me I ended up in a location due to my job that made a huge difference in my understanding, and I know that doesn't make logical sense, but it's how it happened for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I appreciate your kindness.

I can't say I was in an exact same situation, but I only ask that you continue to search, question, and learn if you want the truth. The answer is out there. For me I ended up in a location due to my job that made a huge difference in my understanding, and I know that doesn't make logical sense, but it's how it happened for me.

I've already done all of that.

I just think as one grows older, when their parents die and the signs of their own aging become more apparent, the urge to believe in some sort of spirituality/religion for meaning and an afterlife becomes more and more tempting. Especially since after the first few years most people don't think about their atheism very much.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I just think as one grows older, when their parents die and the signs of their own aging become more apparent, the urge to believe in some sort of spirituality/religion for meaning and an afterlife becomes more and more tempting. Especially since after the first few years most people don't think about their atheism very much.

I will admit I've become more spiritual over the years, but the jumps in understanding occurred as I became more worldly, and got older. I'll say that once it's experienced it's unmistakable.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I will admit I've become more spiritual over the years, but the jumps in understanding occurred as I became more worldly, and got older. I'll say that once it's experienced it's unmistakable.

Were you very spiritual as a kid? I was. I think I've experienced more about spiritualty than most ever will.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Were you very spiritual as a kid? I was. I think I've experienced more about spiritualty than most ever will.

I was, but I didn't realize it at the time, and noone was there to instruct me. I've learned quite a bit more about it as an adult though.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was, but I didn't realize it at the time, and noone was there to instruct me. I've learned quite a bit more about it as an adult though.

Hmm, I think I've learned more about spiritualty since contemplating it as an atheist. When I was a theist it was the time to be in the moment.. to have a pure take.. my atheist side is when I intellectually analyzed it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Conclusion: People like being right about things, so if you feel like you're right, rather than that you don't really know, you'll probably have better mental health than someone who cannot say that with certainty.

Wow. Amazing article, Psychology Today. :rolleyes: So groundbreaking.

Being arrogantly closed-minded, I don't think is psychologically healthy long term, and certain isn't the apex of positive human development, just because it may be temporarily pleasant. It's really just another defense mechanism.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hmm, I think I've learned more about spiritualty since contemplating it as an atheist. When I was a theist it was the time to be in the moment.. to have a pure take.. my atheist side is when I intellectually analyzed it.

Analyzing will net you an answer, it's just a matter of finding it. At least it was for me.

Keep searching because the truth is there, and you'll know when you find it.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That is what the pop-science article tried to imply, but the study itself says something a bit different:

Secularity, religiosity, and health: Physical and mental health differences between atheists, agnostics, and nonaffiliated theists compared to religiously affiliated individuals - ScienceDirect

Strongly atheistic individuals have lower incidences of mental health problems than lower spectrum moderately religious people. The more strongly religious beat them by far on this. They do beat those of a liberal religious or mild religious bent, though. Those that strongly hold to their traditional religious outlook have much lower instances.

Though the data is very provisional, and far from defintive. The article is trying to suggest an acceptably totally secular mechanism by 'psychological certainty', but they are labouring a conclusion not really supported very well. Classic pop-science misrepresentation of a study's findings.

Being arrogantly closed-minded, I don't think is psychologically healthy long term, and certain isn't the apex of positive human development, just because it may be temporarily pleasant. It's really just another defense mechanism.
Strong Atheists have been shown to share many psychologic traits with religious fundamentalists. This is also why you see the 'I was a bible-bashing flat-earth evangelical preacher who now makes atheist youtube videos decrying religion' and vice versa, so often. They are cut from the same cloth, psychologically. Neither are really doing more than running from a fear of uncertainty, and try and justify their ephemeral outlook by assuming an absolute faith.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
That is what the pop-science article tried to imply, but the study itself says something a bit different:

Secularity, religiosity, and health: Physical and mental health differences between atheists, agnostics, and nonaffiliated theists compared to religiously affiliated individuals - ScienceDirect

Strongly atheistic individuals have lower incidences of mental health problems than lower spectrum moderately religious people. The more strongly religious beat them by far on this. They do beat those of a liberal religious or mild religious bent, though. Those that strongly hold to their traditional religious outlook have much lower instances.

Though the data is very provisional, and far from defintive. The article is trying to suggest an acceptably totally secular mechanism by 'psychological certainty', but they are labouring a conclusion not really supported very well. Classic pop-science misrepresentation of a study's findings.

Strong Atheists have been shown to share many psychologic traits with religious fundamentalists. This is also why you see the 'I was a bible-bashing flat-earth evangelical preacher who now makes atheist youtube videos decrying religion' and vice versa, so often. They are cut from the same cloth, psychologically. Neither are really doing more than running from a fear of uncertainty, and try and justify their ephemeral outlook by assuming an absolute faith.

Exactly.

It's only "psychologically healthy" if you set the bar for mental health low. Personally, I don't think the world needs more religious fundamentalists or ideologues of any kind. American politics could easily be a case study in how religious fundamentalism and ideology override rational governance, to the detriment of human flourishing.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Let's put it this way, the world is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we likely can imagine. It's very limiting to close ones mind to that and just decide to circumscribe ones narrative of the world based on a limited scientific understanding.

That's one reason in a thread discussing transgenderism, I take issue with some atheists who seem to suggest that biology = identity. There's far too many unquestioned metaphysical assumptions buried in there, there's not enough healthy agnosticism.

Upvote 0