Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ha. Money can be one's "god." Just what are you implying?

Psa 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols, but the LORD made the heavens.
Jer 2:11 Has a nation ever changed its gods? (Yet they are not gods at all.) But my people have exchanged their Glory for worthless idols.
Jer 5:7 "Why should I forgive you? Your children have forsaken me and sworn by gods that are not gods. I supplied all their needs, yet they committed adultery and thronged to the houses of prostitutes.
Jer 16:20 Do men make their own gods? Yes, but they are not gods!"
You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways.

These "other gods" may have a little temporary power, but in the end they're not really gods at all.

Upvote 0

stranger

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
crying in the wilderness of life
✟7,026.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
God said you shouldn't have other gods before Him...

He didn't say there weren't other gods though....

Well actually He did :-

Isaiah 46:9 ... I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me.

Upvote 0

stranger

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
✟7,026.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
wyz said:
Originally Posted by stranger
"empiricism is an unverifiable phenomenon, my friend..."
Not metaphysically, no... but then again, no one here is claiming such.

You missed the point, you were claiming not to believe unverifiable phenomenon, but your phenomenology [stated as empiricism in your case] IS a [physically or metaphysically] unverifiable phenomenon which you stated you believe in ... that is you contradicted yourself even in your statement of belief.

"those that don't look will never verify, they don't even find ..."
You have not shown that verification (in a metaphysical sense) is possible.
I have seen it for myself [and have evidence from others that you will see it for yourself, but obviously you will not see it until you see it ... in fact if you will examine your life you do take many things on faith from several witnesses that agree , although you have no necessity to do so... it is up to you then whether you wait or not , to believe... not my problem ...

"again, an unverifiable arbitrary claim about 'burdens' ... the truth knows no such randomness I hope"
You say it, you support it... a good yardstick methinks; chuck if you wish, but then you're back to square zero with no scheme of determinating truth-claims whatsoever.
Well I do have a means , and I have also shown that your means isn't adequate [as indeed I showed myself when I considered whether or not to accept it] , so you are mistaken, I do have a means, but I have shown that you do not as yet have a reliable means ... I cannot help you , except to say that I have independent witnesses that you will know the means one day, I cannot transfer my means to you, nor prove it by your inadequate means.

"Again you make an unverifiable presumption and in fact you cannot know what you claim."
Until it can be shown that metaphysical matters are verifiable, then they remain unverifiable by default... this is not a positive claim, but a simple recognition that if you cannot show me the ship (much less the seaworthiness) then it ain't sailing.
My ship is sailing fine,but it is foggy and you will not see your own ship or mine until the fog clears.

It does not matter to me that you set defaults by your proven-inadequate phenomenology ,since I have all the proof that I need for me ... I do not need toprove anything to you, and indeed so long as you remain entrenched in a proven-inadequate phenomeological position, I cannot prove anything metaphysical to you because you reject metaphysics a priori ... but the fact is that if one refuses to see on principle , so the eyes are closed to some phenomena ,then one surely will not see them... equally you will continue to refuse witness from others that they can see them , so lets wait until you open your eyes, or get them opened for you by events...

"Besides that the truth is in fact quite rare ,"
Nice claim... and your support is...?
Well ,according to you there is no absolute Truth , one cannot get any rarer than that... and since your phenomenology is a common heritage from the Greeks adopted by many in our cultures , clearly the absolute Truth is rare ... also I look around carefully and see that it is very rare indeed ... and have many independent witnesses who not only say the same, but explain why it has to be rare at this time...

Upvote 0

stranger

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
✟7,026.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Ha. Money can be one's "god."...
These "other gods" may have a little temporary power, but in the end they're not really gods at all.

I think I know what you mean and that you are right... its just that what are eventually found to be false gods, do look like real gods to those who follow them, whilst they believe in them ... so how could they know the future to know that these would eventually be seen by them as false gods?

How could anyone know ? I know there are ways , but few use them and mostly the voice of the few is ignored.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ha. Money can be one's "god." Just what are you implying?

Psa 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols, but the LORD made the heavens.
Jer 2:11 Has a nation ever changed its gods? (Yet they are not gods at all.) But my people have exchanged their Glory for worthless idols.
Jer 5:7 "Why should I forgive you? Your children have forsaken me and sworn by gods that are not gods. I supplied all their needs, yet they committed adultery and thronged to the houses of prostitutes.
Jer 16:20 Do men make their own gods? Yes, but they are not gods!"
You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways.

So what I said is true by your testimony.

Thank you for proving my point. =) more or less.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wyzaard

Jan 4, 2008
✟7,200.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You missed the point, you were claiming not to believe unverifiable phenomenon, but your phenomenology [stated as empiricism in your case] IS a [physically or metaphysically] unverifiable phenomenon which you stated you believe in ... that is you contradicted yourself even in your statement of belief.

No... you missed MY point: I have made NO claims about my phenomenology being metaphysically valid/substantive; indeed, I have even suggested that you can very well chuck these conventional rules at your leisure... trouble is, then you're without even a limited set of verificational criteria to work with, so then what? You're out of luck.

I don't make metaphysical claims, particularly when it comes to the manner in which I make claims: that ALSO falls under my skepticism.

I have seen it for myself [and have evidence from others that you will see it for yourself, but obviously you will not see it until you see it ... in fact if you will examine your life you do take many things on faith from several witnesses that agree , although you have no necessity to do so... it is up to you then whether you wait or not , to believe... not my problem ...

I have no reason to believe that you have "seen" anything, it is NOT "obvious" by any means, I do NOT take things on metaphysical faith (rather I assume things on a conventional, provisional basis only), the presence of witnesses does not make for absolute validation (argument from plurality)... but indeed, there isn't any necessity here. At all.

Well I do have a means , and I have also shown that your means isn't adequate [as indeed I showed myself when I considered whether or not to accept it] , so you are mistaken, I do have a means, but I have shown that you do not as yet have a reliable means ... I cannot help you , except to say that I have independent witnesses that you will know the means one day, I cannot transfer my means to you, nor prove it by your inadequate means.

You have not shown you possess any means, you have failed to understand my position regarding adequateness, and you have yet to show what these so-called "independent witnesses" have to do with absolute truth.

My ship is sailing fine,but it is foggy and you will not see your own ship or mine until the fog clears.

More telling, still no showing... that ship's done sunk.

It does not matter to me that you set defaults by your proven-inadequate phenomenology ,since I have all the proof that I need for me

Which is not what proof is needed to establish absolute claims... or can I play that game too, and claim that I have all the proof that I need that you're imagining all of this?

... I do not need toprove anything to you, and indeed so long as you remain entrenched in a proven-inadequate phenomeological position,

You have proven no such thing.

I cannot prove anything metaphysical to you because you reject metaphysics a priori ...

No. I reject it due to the demonstrable lack of valid verificational schemas for such projects.

but the fact is that if one refuses to see on principle , so the eyes are closed to some phenomena ,then one surely will not see them... equally you will continue to refuse witness from others that they can see them , so lets wait until you open your eyes, or get them opened for you by events...

Or, you're just making this up as you go along as to falsely disqualify opposing arguements.

Well ,according to you there is no absolute Truth ,

NO.

My determination is that absolute truth is inaccessible by non-absolute means.

Rare? Try impossible... even if it were staring you and I in the face, who is to say we would know an absolute from non-absolutes?

Upvote 0

ragarth

Nov 27, 2008
Virginia, USA
✟1,704.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single

Rare? Try impossible... even if it were staring you and I in the face, who is to say we would know an absolute from non-absolutes?

Interesting statement. It seems to match up rather closely to how I view truth. Care to compare notes?

Absolute truth is some nebulous idea of the actual state of things regardless of observation. Absolute truth does not change, it's existence is absolute because it is the actual state of things.

Perceptual truth is what we as an individual or a group know. Because perceptual truth is filtered through our perceptions and cognitive abilities, it is relative and can change as new information is gathered or new ways of looking at information are developed.

To know an absolute truth would require omniscience because if you don't know everything then it's possible that what you already know could change based upon learning what you don't know. If the possibility of your knowledge being incorrect exists, then what you know is not an absolute truth but a perceived truth (even if your perceived truth matches the absolute truth you would never know because you cannot know absolute truths).

Further, if you claim to know an absolute truth then your opinion is not based upon reality. This is due to the fact that without omniscience we cannot know absolutely that our truth is indeed an absolute truth. Since you are not omniscient but are claiming to know an absolute truth, and therefore am stating a refusal to change your opinion, you are dividing your opinion from reality due to the refusal to recognize the potential for unknowns to change your opinion.

Reactions: Wyzaard
Upvote 0

stranger

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
✟7,026.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
No... you missed MY point: I have made NO claims about my phenomenology being metaphysically valid/substantive; indeed, I have even suggested that you can very well chuck these conventional rules at your leisure...

I don't even see what relevance that is, you accept your phenomenology at the physical level ... if you want to deny that is a metaphysical belief than that is your mistake, because you cannot verify your phenomenology within that phenomenology [men have tried with good reason, and found, proved, it is impossible ] ... so I cannot stop you going back to past dreams [nor particularly want to] , but only point out in passing that others have already rigorously shown that it doesn't work.

trouble is, then you're without even a limited set of verificational criteria to work with, so then what? You're out of luck.
Well,as I said, that is rather inevitably how you see it from inside your phenomenological 'box' that you made around yourself out of things you found that others had abandoned as scrap... but it is not my problem, since I have an absolute framework to use, I do not need a relative one cos' I have one that is not paradoxical, not dependent upon arbitrary [and disputed, and pardoxical] unverifiable axioms

I don't make metaphysical claims, particularly when it comes to the manner in which I make claims: that ALSO falls under my skepticism.
Like Bertrand Russell pointed out, even skeptics get out of the building when the firebell rings... we all believe in something ... claiming you do not have no metaphysical claims is simply denial, you do assert your phenomenology , and whilst you think it is obvious to do so, others have shown that it is not only not obvious, but is inconsistent , pardoxical , thus it is not only an [implicit] metaphysical claim of belief in axioms, it is also one which has been extensively and thoroughly disproven within itself, within its own axioms [yet many like yourself still cling to it , like grasping at straws as one drowns inside one's imagined relative box , instead of leaving it by the unlocked door and searching for and climbing aboard the life-raft of the absolute..

I have no reason to believe that you have "seen" anything, it is NOT "obvious" by any means,

On that one must meditate to escape the box created by thoughts acquired from the world ... simply stop thinking, and after a week or so of practice the mind naturally meditates and expands its consciousness through all the gates that restrict it, including relative beliefs about phenomenologies ... else take the slower [I think much harder] route that I first took of going through the formal disproofs of all relative phenomenologies ... that is harder because it is perhaps harder to open the mind that way...

I do NOT take things on metaphysical faith (rather I assume things on a conventional, provisional basis only)

Again , conventions do change slowly , showing the fallacy of relying completely on them to be true ... rather that wait for them to fail [as all untruths will eventually for everyone] , check out their disproofs [which are written down formally for anyone to read], or just learn to meditate [by prectising ceasing from thought for say ten minutes twice a day for a week] , in which case the barriers tumble naturally and more quickly and easily.

the presence of witnesses does not make for absolute validation (argument from plurality)...

Agreed, but your argument for conventionality is an argument from plurality, [as well as having been disproven already within its own framework]

but indeed, there isn't any necessity here. At all.

I know , I just added the point to show you that I am not alone , since you thought that your beliefs were sound just because others say the same things [ignoring or never reading the formal disproofs of their, often implicitly accepted, position.]

You have not shown you possess any means, you have failed to understand my position regarding adequateness,

As I said , there is no way to show you anything at present except that you do implicitly accept [metaphysically, unverifiably] your own phenomenology and it is disproven , it does have paradoxes at its roots, contradictions upon which it is built ... once you see the flaws you may decide to open the scary door and look for the absolute outside this 'box' of falsified relative beliefs [unverifiable paradoxical 'axioms'] which you sort-of live in , determine your beliefs by ...

and you have yet to show what these so-called "independent witnesses" have to do with absolute truth.

Only that there are others who gave up the relative belief treadmill and saw the ship was not only sinking ,but never had any chance of floating because of contradictions within its structure, holes in its logic ...paradoxes, which are contradictions that people are loathe to admit, but which invalidate relative phenomenologies of all varieties... yet most people work ever harder building ships to the old conventions and they keep sinking inevitably ... there is a design flaw that invalidates building ships that way at all... they always have holes in them that cannot be covered up and still leak even if one ignores them by calling them 'merely' paradoxes ... they are logical contradictions and if one believes a contradiction [by denial] then one cannot hope for any truth to come of it [one can prove what ever one likes from a contradiction but the result is still not necessarily true !]

More telling, still no showing... that ship's done sunk.

Well you could look at the world and see that it is sinking fast, that is directly due to failure to observe the absolute and belief in lies ... I do not say that they are all lies at the root of relative phenomenologies, only that these lies support the structure of lies above them by which a few men run our world onto the Rock and it sinks with no relative-believing survivors [that is billions of deaths] ... so you may wait for the physical evidence to bite home ,or if you prefer then you can seek the absolute sooner [through logic, by observing the contradictions proven instead of ignoring them through faith in convention/tradition... or by 'radically' and bravely expanding consciousness by allowing your mind to meditate , by stopping thinking occasionally]

Which is not what proof is needed to establish absolute claims... or can I play that game too, and claim that I have all the proof that I need that you're imagining all of this?

I don't recommend playing games at all, you will end up as confused as all people who dabble in dishonesty to themselves ... and I did not come here to 'play games' my friend, this is a serious discussion about the depth of T-Truth and the shallowness of t-truth.

Whilst I sympathise that you cannot see what I am talking about from withing your chosen/acquired beliefs [phenomenology] , that does not excuse your unverifiable implicit innuendo against my personal veracity... that is truly to retreat into your denial of anything outside the box and the gaping holes in it which must eventually claim your life [and many billions of others ] as these boxes do not float and cannot be sealed within your beliefs ... thus you will continue sinking until you notice that you are , and then perhaps you will seek to verify your axioms and find they are flawed, or more bravely open the door and abandon ship by meditation , and find the absolute that way.

You have proven no such thing.

I cannot prove anything to you that is outside your box,because you live within it and believe it is closed and safe ... yet its incompleteness was formally proven ,the holes revealed in conventions and their axioms e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del's_incompleteness_theorems

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom_of_choice

www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9375

It is for you to see the holes ,open the door and climb out , nit me, else you will drown inside still denying the holes and the rising water level inside ... I cannot do that because you will refuse to acknowledge that can see outside and see the holes that you cannot, even though I tried living in a similar box myself once and got out and tell you that the absolute is far better , incomparably better, than the paradoxical relative ... it just takes a little bravery to doubt one's long-held beliefs test them by themselves and see the holes , then realise there is no future inside the box, the sooner one leaves the more time to explore the absolute

No. I reject it due to the demonstrable lack of valid verificational schemas for such projects.

Yeah, again I sympathise, but you failed to notice that your beliefs are not verified either, in fact they are proven contradictory at root, without foundations... by refusing to look outside them and refusing to look at their roots, there is no way out until they fail you [as paradoxical beliefs must eventually fail anyone and thus will fail everyone who doesn't abandon them in time before they fail]

Or, you're just making this up as you go along as to falsely disqualify opposing arguments.

Again I sympathise, but it isn't so ... I have no desire to waste my time and yours by making anything up.

yes, denial is the problem , I know that , it doesn't help any ...

Well I understand how you got there, but you forgot that how you got there is unverifiable and that that statement is unverifiable , you forgot your own unverifia ble and inconsistent 'principle' , so how do you believe it ???? :doh:

Rare? Try impossible...

Yes, I sympathise , from your position it looks impossible... but that is why you should examine how you look at things, because that itself is not only unverifiable, but proven inadequate ... simply apply your scepticism to your own belief system, because it can prove itself inadequate... then you might look outside it and find the absolute, which is incomparably better... the mistake was to stop looking and settle for the relative by means of a proven-unsatisfactory [but common, conventional phenomenology [belief system]

even if it were staring you and I in the face, who is to say we would know an absolute from non-absolutes?

We have within us that ability, you will recognise the absolute . you need nothing more than an open mind [which means abandoning disproven relative phenomenologies - by examining then=m to see what rubbish they are, or more simply by meditating to get in touch with the witness to the absolute by expanding your awareness quite naturally and automatically to include it, in other word simply stopping denying it , cos' part f you already knows it and is being shut out by false beliefs in inconsistent and useless relative ideas , 'false t-truths' ! ] :cool:

Upvote 0

JediMobius

The Guy with the Face
Jan 12, 2006
Beer City, Michigan
✟18,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think I know what you mean and that you are right... its just that what are eventually found to be false gods, do look like real gods to those who follow them, whilst they believe in them ... so how could they know the future to know that these would eventually be seen by them as false gods?

How could anyone know ? I know there are ways , but few use them and mostly the voice of the few is ignored.

Quite so. There are powers and principalities which think themselves gods and are regarded as gods, so that makes them as gods fleetingly. In the end, the deception is exposed; these things or spirits were never truly gods.

So what I said is true by your testimony.

Thank you for proving my point. =) more or less.

I don't think you understand. Other gods exist in the sense that things and beings other than Elohim are being worshiped, but none of them are like God. They have no real power, no omniscience, no ability to save men from sin; they are false gods.

Reactions: rosenherman
Upvote 0

JediMobius

The Guy with the Face
Jan 12, 2006
Beer City, Michigan
✟18,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Anyone whose read the bible shouldn't be surprised to find such contradictions.

Contradictions ALLLL over the Bible.

There are very few contradictions in the bible which can't be reconciled by study, but they can all be explained. That is, they can all be made sense of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are very few contradictions in the bible which can't be reconciled by study, but they can all be explained. That is, they can all be made sense of.

False.

Lets use one of my favorite: In one book Judas hangs himself and dies, in another he throws himself down onto the rocks and dies.

Simply put by no twist of logic can both be true.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
False.

Lets use one of my favorite: In one book Judas hangs himself and dies, in another he throws himself down onto the rocks and dies.

Simply put by no twist of logic can both be true.

I've heard it reconciled by saying he tried to hang himself, but the rope snapped and he fell on the rocks. I will grant you, I think it takes a great degree of mental gymnastics to say this makes sense, but there it is.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've heard it reconciled by saying he tried to hang himself, but the rope snapped and he fell on the rocks. I will grant you, I think it takes a great degree of mental gymnastics to say this makes sense, but there it is.
Yeah both books are clear upon how he died.

1. Matthew-[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Then he went away and hanged himself.

2. Acts-[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.

Two very specific ways of death.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
It's even more ridiculous than that - not only does the manner of death differ significantly from one account to the next, the *circumstances* are also utterly irreconcilable. Look here:

Matthew 27, 5: So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

vs.

Acts 1, 18: With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.

These two are UTTERLY irreconcilable, unless you apply mental gymnastics of a magnitude that makes most conspiracy theories look like sensible research. In one version, he throws away the accursed money - in the other, he uses it to buy a field. In one version, he commits suicide. In the other, his death is portrayed as accidental (with a wee bit of divine intervention, I suppose). There's just no common ground between the two. It just shows either one or both of these accounts are based on legends that were circulated in the early Christian communities.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.