Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, not necessarily.

On a side note, It'd likely be down to Quantum Physics rather than every day Physics.

Right, and right again -- my original point being that atheists and self-proclaimed agnostics too believe things on faith.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Prospective Doctor of the Church
Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It all depends on where you look...
The Church - What is the Church?
The Catholic definition of 'church' fits definition number two and three...and maybe five. It's not a building to us. It's us in the one body and one blood of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Catholic Church has 1.2 billion members in her body. Not sure we can cram all them people in one building^^;; Yet we're still called a church as a whole

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There was an "Ethical Humanist Society" in Garden City, NY for many, many years.

I even attended a wedding ceremony presided over by its minister once, and it was one of the most beautiful weddings (and marriages) I'd ever attended. He was Jewish; she was Presbyterian. They spent two years in Madagascar with the Peace Corps, came home, had two daughters, and have taught in Ecuador and now, somewhere in Central America. Their parents call them the "karma couple."

I think that it is good for atheists and non-believers to gather together in community to discuss living lives of service to the common good.

You act as if they would attend a traditional church if they didn't have this option--I don't think they would.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There was an "Ethical Humanist Society" in Garden City, NY for many, many years.

I even attended a wedding ceremony presided over by its minister once, and it was one of the most beautiful weddings (and marriages) I'd ever attended. He was Jewish; she was Presbyterian. They spent two years in Madagascar with the Peace Corps, came home, had two daughters, and have taught in Ecuador and now, somewhere in Central America. Their parents call them the "karma couple."

I think that it is good for atheists and non-believers to gather together in community to discuss living lives of service to the common good.

You act as if they would attend a traditional church if they didn't have this option--I don't think they would.
We 'act' this way toward it because organizations like this tend to lean toward "empowering themselves" more than serving community in anyway. It's like saying the "Freedom from Religion" organization here for the greater good when in actuality all they do is hound on those of faith, insulting their practices through media, and quite frankly, follow Richard Dawkins' order to bully and ridicule them in public.

Maybe a tiny few of these gatherings are charitable, but most of what I've seen...they're not. Just a bunch of people who gather up their 'army' and combat the religious views of the people.

Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I think people should be allowed to believe whatever they wish to believe without other people looking down their noses at them.

It is human rights.

Provided that they do not harm themselves and others.

I live in a country where my constitutional rights to freedom to profess my faith freely is constantly being eroded, our bibles are being burnt, not to mention churches, our leaders threatened, lies told about our Christian believes etc.

Ok, I am feeling really sore. Every day I read something unpleasant being done by people of other faith stepping all over my constitutional rights.

You will not know how it feels like unless you experience it for yourself.

I wish I can leave my country forever. Actually, the people in my country tell us, you do not like it, leave. Where will I go? I wish God will take me away somewhere nice.

When I see people eroding other people's rights whatever faith they believe in, I feel I want to stand up for them, even though they are atheist. I really do not like people who tell people what they can or cannot do with regards their personal believes.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think people should be allowed to believe whatever they wish to believe without other people looking down their noses at them.

It is human rights.

I live in a country where my constitutional rights to freedom to profess my faith freely is constantly being eroded, our bibles are being burnt, not to mention churches, our leaders threatened, lies told about our Christian believes etc.

Ok, I am feeling really sore. Every day I read something unpleasant being done by people of other faith stepping all over my constitutional rights.

I wish I can leave my country forever. Actually, the people in my country tell us, you do not like it, leave. Where will I go? I wish God will take me away somewhere nice.

When I see people eroding other people's rights whatever faith they believe in, I feel I want to stand up for them, even though they are atheist. I really do not like people who tell people what they can or cannot do with regards their personal believes.
That's....not what this is about really.

If you really wanna go there on that topic, think of all the martyrs that died for their faith. People of other faiths KILLING our Catholic brethren for what they believe in and YOU KNOW it still goes on today.

Go ahead, stand up for them. But as a Catholic, being a witness for our own faith should come first....

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
IMO, no one of whatever religion or non religion or political belief should be allowed to kill, hurt, maim, burn down.stonepeople or their places of worship or gathering, and generally try and destroy anyone else because of their religious or lack thereof, or political views. Just mo.

God bless xTx and to those who suffer persecution.

Reactions: xTx
Upvote 0

mg0086

Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IMO, no one of whatever religion or non religion or political belief should be allowed to kill, hurt, maim, burn down.stonepeople or their places of worship or gathering, and generally try and destroy anyone else because of their religious or lack thereof, or political views. Just mo.

God bless xTx and to those who suffer persecution.
Well I agree with that.

I'm kinda sad how this topic turned to this issue because that's not what the op was about.

In the op I simply stated that they're doing something that contradicted their own belief system. Hinting on becoming a religious movement...yet claiming not to be religious.

I'm not slamming anybody and feel sad because people actually took it that way. I admit I do seem to have a disposition with atheism, only because in my experiences the only atheists I ever knew slammed our church and beliefs in public, trying to give claim that what they were saying was true, when most of what they say were giant misconceptions and things further from the truth. Yes, I know not all of them are like that. So don't give me any grief on it.

Argh, look...the point is, I wasn't slamming them. I was pointing out a contradiction in their 'belief' system.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pretty much this.

What, meeting up in bars, atheist organizations, social communities doesn't cut it?

Atheists in a church = Joke-and-a-half.

Welcome back, Jack. :wave:
I agree. Meet up if you please but why call it church? ^_^

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well I agree with that.

I'm kinda sad how this topic turned to this issue because that's not what the op was about.

In the op I simply stated that they're doing something that contradicted their own belief system. Hinting on becoming a religious movement...yet claiming not to be religious.

I'm not slamming anybody and feel sad because people actually took it that way. I admit I do seem to have a disposition with atheism, only because in my experiences the only atheists I ever knew slammed our church and beliefs in public, trying to give claim that what they were saying was true, when most of what they say were giant misconceptions and things further from the truth. Yes, I know not all of them are like that. So don't give me any grief on it.

Argh, look...the point is, I wasn't slamming them. I was pointing out a contradiction in their 'belief' system.

And you have done well. Good thread. To call it a church imo is silly. Might catch on though. The church deal. Should be a club as another poster suggested.

I haven't know many atheists. Only two. And they were not interested in religion or church etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mg0086

Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And you have done well. Good thread. To call it a church imo is silly. Might catch on though. The church deal. Should be a club as another poster suggested.

I haven't know many atheists. Only two. And they were not interested in religion or church etc.
I take back what I said earlier about the only atheists I knew slammed the church.

Completely forgot one of my very best friends is atheist, but she doesn't slam me or my beliefs. She's actually stood up for me a few times. Doesn't really talk on her atheism much, guess that's why I forgot, ne?

She doesn't take her atheism out of context like these people are. If she saw this article I'm sure I'd see her laughing at it. Even claim that those aren't real atheists.

And I agree with what Michie said, they're free to gather together, but calling the organization a church? Yes, you're going to be question because it does seem to contradict what you believe in...

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sorry I'm not here so often, guys! But I found somthing that needs a lot of prayer and meditation upon...

Atheist 'mega-churches' take root across US, world

Atheist.....churches.... I think you just insulted your own belief there. Atheism itself has become your god. You worship atheism and all it comes with. So in hindsight, you just contradicted what you stand for.

Lord, I pray you wash the world's dirt from their eyes. They're starting to worship the golden calf again...

Isnt that a misnomer?
Atheist / church ?

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Religious Right persecutes non-Christians far more frequently than atheists persecute people of other faiths.

Perhaps if they weren't hounded so often they would mind their business even more.

Barring history of course - might make it seem like atheists have no ax to grind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

It is human rights.

Good luck - on finding utopia.
Christian rights are being crushed everywhere.
Some nations are over the crest - and at the top of such nonsense - others are following....and the ascension to that 'top' has already begun.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Religious Right persecutes non-Christians far more frequently than atheists persecute people of other faiths.

Perhaps if they weren't hounded so often they would mind their business even more.

If you wanna get technical on that the playing field is pretty much even. NOT one over the other.

We have this: ATHEIST/ATHEISM LEGAL SUCCESSES AND LOSSES

Vs. this: http://www.godhates[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].com/

We are equal in match up so we never agree on anything and always slam one or the other in an endless fight. One doesn't do it more than the other. That's like beating your fists together and hoping one would overcome the other (but you can't because you really don't want to feel the pain of the loser, unless you're into that kinda thing...).

Good luck - on finding utopia.
Christian rights are being crushed everywhere.
Some nations are over the crest - and at the top of such nonsense - others are following....and the ascension to that 'top' has already begun.

Yes that would be a perfect world wouldn't it? And as I said before, go ahead and stand up for the other guy, but as a Catholic, being a witness to your own faith should ALWAYS come first.

Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I take back what I said earlier about the only atheists I knew slammed the church.

Completely forgot one of my very best friends is atheist, but she doesn't slam me or my beliefs. She's actually stood up for me a few times. Doesn't really talk on her atheism much, guess that's why I forgot, ne?

She doesn't take her atheism out of context like these people are. If she saw this article I'm sure I'd see her laughing at it. Even claim that those aren't real atheists.

And I agree with what Michie said, they're free to gather together, but calling the organization a church? Yes, you're going to be question because it does seem to contradict what you believe in...

Aha, please give me a moment to laugh ^_^

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Yes that would be a perfect world wouldn't it? And as I said before, go ahead and stand up for the other guy, but as a Catholic, being a witness to your own faith should ALWAYS come first.

I believe that everybody should have the right to be who they are, believe in what they wish to believe in freely as long as they do not infringe on the rights of others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0