Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If atheism is true, the best you can hope for is nothingness. So yes, it is nihilistic.
I am satisfied with nothingness after death. Live your best life knowing that it is all there is.

• Agree
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Then Solomon was not wise....he was a privileged fool.

Solomon was so wise that he made a fortune offering advice to the leaders of nations around him. We'd call him a consultant these days. Yes, he had some character issues that were not so helpful. Perhaps you should read the book of Proverbs. A great deal of the advice applies to life in general, not just to Judaisim or Christianity.

Without God, a man's life is no more significant than a stone thrown into the ocean. There are a few ripples and that's it. If you don't like Solomon, perhaps Shakespeare is more to your taste?

"Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." Solomon is a little more pithy, Shakespeare more eloquent. The sentiment is the same.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟143,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am satisfied with nothingness after death. Live your best life knowing that it is all there is.
And that is a perfectly acceptable and fair position to have.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

I've always seen death as a return to the same nothingness I was in before I was conceived.

OB

Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Atheism is weak. Yep, I said it
Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Then I'll be wrong.

OB

I guess it all boils down to something v nothing. The option for you seems to be nothing.

There is another option, an offer for something through Jesus. Why is salvation not a desirable option for you?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I guess it all boils down to something v nothing. The option for you seems to be nothing.

There is another option, an offer for something through Jesus. Why is salvation not a desirable option for you?

Firstly, I don't accept that your God exists

Secondly, I have nothing to be saved from - the idea of salvation is meaningless

Thirdly, I have no interest in an after life. The idea of nothing is perfectly acceptable and not frightening

Fourthly - I know you mean well but I'm not a mission field. Please do not insult my intelligence with the not-do-subtle attempts at conversion. I have lived quite happily for over 70 years without needing your God.

OB

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Firstly, I don't accept that your God exists

Secondly, I have nothing to be saved from - the idea of salvation is meaningless

Thirdly, I have no interest in an after life. The idea of nothing is perfectly acceptable and not frightening

Fourthly - I know you mean well but I'm not a mission field. Please do not insult my intelligence with the not-do-subtle attempts at conversion. I have lived quite happily for over 70 years without needing your God.

OB

Agreed. Most religions exist on the fear of what occurs after death. I like the Epicurean approach...

While you’re alive, you’re not dead, so enjoy life.

When you’re dead, you won’t know you are, so why worry about it?....enjoy life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are atheist that are Christians and there are Christians that are not Christians. Humans can be zealous with various themes be they atheism, Christianity, science, games... if you cannot perceive something good in something then you have no reason to praise it. No one who is sane wishes to discard what is superior for what they believe is inferior.

yes atheism is inherently nihilistic because they do not believe that reality has infinite worth and that they exist forever. To be a creature, to be a mortal is death. it is to not exist at all because living for 100 years is nothing. The creatures pride of life resist infinite pleasure and meaning, therefore it must perish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,172,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are atheist that are Christians and there are Christians that are not Christians. Humans can be zealous with various themes be they atheism, Christianity, science, games... if you cannot perceive something good in something then you have no reason to praise it. No one who is sane wishes to discard what is superior for what they believe is inferior.

yes atheism is inherently nihilistic because they do not believe that reality has infinite worth and that they exist forever. To be a creature, to be a mortal is death. it is to not exist at all because living for 100 years is nothing. The creatures pride of life resist infinite pleasure and meaning, therefore it must perish.
I don't understand this theory of value. How is something made more valuable by being infinite? Typically value in things comes from scarcity not infinite abundance. To me life is more valuable due to it being finite and there not being resolution afterwards.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't understand this theory of value. How is something made more valuable by being infinite? Typically value in things comes from scarcity not infinite abundance. To me life is more valuable due to it being finite and there not being resolution afterwards.

Because it ultimately amounts to nothing. It's like trying to throw buckets of water out of a sinking ship - you're wasting your time because the ship is going to go down sooner or later.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Because it ultimately amounts to nothing. It's like trying to throw buckets of water out of a sinking ship - you're wasting your time because the ship is going to go down sooner or later.
Poor analogy. People throwing buckets of water from a sinking ship are wasting their time trying to prevent the ship from sinking. People enjoying life knowing they will eventually die are not trying to prevent themselves from dying, they’re enjoying life the best they can during the limited time they have it. The fact that they are enjoying life at that moment is meaningful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Poor analogy. People throwing buckets of water from a sinking ship are wasting their time trying to prevent the ship from sinking. People enjoying life knowing they will eventually die are not trying to prevent themselves from dying, they’re enjoying life the best they can during the limited time they have it. The fact that they are enjoying life at that moment is meaningful.

So you don't ever do anything to try to prevent yourself from dying, like eating and drinking, staying healthy, etc.?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So you don't ever do anything to try to prevent yourself from dying, like eating and drinking, staying healthy, etc.?
My attempts at staying healthy has nothing to do with preventing death, it has to do with living healthy and living as long as possible. But make no mistake, I know no matter what I do, I will die one day; but that knowledge does not make my life meaningless, it makes it valuable, it makes life precious. The focus I bring to life, the desire to accomplish is based on the fact that I know one day I will not be here. Because if there is always a tomorrow, nothing will ever get done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0