West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Apparently your joke detecting skills are on the same level as your logical fallacy finding skills....

actually "detecting" would not be part of the phrase. It would be Joke skills, but then it wouldn't flow. So.....it just doesn't work. Sorry.

Upvote 0

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Shifting the burden of proof fallacy.

I'm not asserting that Jesus definitely didn't exist. All I've said is that there's no contemporary evidence, so I have no reason to assume he existed.

Yep, I'm shifting the burden but not entirely. We could all do it together . If you study the bible as a piece of literature, examine the contradictions, then you give that piece of literature a fair trial. By examining it then even a lay person can ascertain whether it is full of contradictions. Go to the "thinking atheist" there are lists of contradictions of the bible and atrocities of the bible. Choose whichever parts you want and we can do research on it. that would show the validity of the book as far as the consistency.

Are you getting your information from articles like this?
Did Jesus exist?

Upvote 0

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When a Christian responds to an athiest's post we get the following:
logical fallacy, communal reinforcement, fallacious argument, arguentum ad populum, non sequitur, ad hominem and abusive ad hominem, red herring and a new one for me bandwagon fallacy. Its like all of you go to the same school or the same websites. Learn to build a wall around your beliefs or lack of beliefs and use the above terms to respond. Whats up with that?

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
logical fallacy, communal reinforcement, fallacious argument, arguentum ad populum, non sequitur, ad hominem and abusive ad hominem, red herring and a new one for me bandwagon fallacy.

Only when they commit those fallacies, usually.

Its like all of you go to the same school or the same websites. Learn to build a wall around your beliefs or lack of beliefs and use the above terms to respond. Whats up with that?
It's called logic - evidently not something you're familiar with. If you think the claims of logical fallacies are incorrect, then counterargue. Don't simply resort to some conspiracy theory nonsense that just because people have a consistent set of terms to describe arguments it means they're "walling off their beliefs". How dare you imply such a thing when you haven't even addressed the substance of any arguments here at all!

And of course as ever, Christians won't criticise their own for the same behaviour - gradyll, a Christian, has been (badly) attributing logical fallacies to his opponents for several threads now. And he only gets the same because he repeatedly makes bad arguments. If you don't want Christians to be accused of logical fallacies, either encourage them to do a better job, or make a counterargument against the claim of fallacy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
logical fallacy, communal reinforcement, fallacious argument, arguentum ad populum, non sequitur, ad hominem and abusive ad hominem, red herring and a new one for me bandwagon fallacy.
That´s not when a Christian responds to an "athiest´s" (sic!) post - it´s when someone commits a logical error. These errors are classified and have been given names.

Its like all of you go to the same school or the same websites.
Well, everyone should learn logic101 in school.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
logical fallacy, communal reinforcement, fallacious argument, arguentum ad populum, non sequitur, ad hominem and abusive ad hominem, red herring and a new one for me bandwagon fallacy. Its like all of you go to the same school or the same websites. Learn to build a wall around your beliefs or lack of beliefs and use the above terms to respond. Whats up with that?

A major reason for this is because most religious beliefs are built on logical fallacies....

If you commit a logical fallacy, we are well within our rights to point it out. If you don't want us pointing out logical fallacies, then try developing an argument for your God that doesn't include a fallacy.

The very fact that every argument is based on fallacious logic, and you still swear by and believe in them is a demonstration you're the one with the wall around your beliefs.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Its like all of you go to the same school or the same websites.

I'm not aware that different schools teach different logic. :)

I personally took a critical thinking class and a logic class in undergraduate university, which has served me well long after graduation.

Learn to build a wall around your beliefs or lack of beliefs and use the above terms to respond. Whats up with that?

Not a wall. A filter.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.