ATF Steps in It?

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is amusing.

Because unincorporated trusts are not “persons” under the GCA, a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) cannot transfer firearms to them without complying with the GCA. Thus, when an FFL transfers an NFA firearm to a trustee or other person acting on behalf of a trust, the transfer is made to this person as an individual (i.e., not as a trust). As the trustee or other person acting on behalf of the trust is not the approved transferee under the NFA, 18 U.S.C. 5812, the trustee or other person acting on behalf of a trust must undergo a NICS check. The individual must also be a resident of the same State as the FFL when receiving the firearm.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.
(2) This subsection does not apply with respect to–
(A) a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(B) any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.

Read the article.

It's amusing.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't get what's so amusing or even surprising about it. The response was basically that trusts aren't persons, so the laws apply to the actual people possessing the weapons, not whatever trust they may be acting on behalf of.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't get what's so amusing or even surprising about it. The response was basically that trusts aren't persons, so the laws apply to the actual people possessing the weapons, not whatever trust they may be acting on behalf of.

It opens up the machine gun registry to trusts.

Upvote 0