At what point is a child responsible for his/her own salvation?

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Children bullying each other can destroy each others lives. It's about the concequences for humans.
Col 3:2-7 applies to children (1989 REB, copyrighted): and fix your thoughts on that higher realm, not on this earthly life. You died; and now your life lies hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you too will be revealed with him in glory.
So put to death those parts of you which belong to the earth - fornication, indecency, lust, evil desires, and the ruthless greed which is nothing less than idolatry; on these divine retribution falls. This is the way you yourselves once lived;

It's about what v. 2 says: fix your thoughts on that higher realm, not on this earthly life. Children can be aware to do that.
V. 6 literally (2012 Updated Bible Version 2.16, ©Greg Abrams): because of these things the wrath of God comes on the sons of disobedience:

Notice the grammatical tense of vv. 7-8a! This is the way you yourselves once lived: as children.
V. 8 goes on with what adults should not do. Notice the grammatical tense
V. 8b (2012 Updated Bible Version 2.16, ©Greg Abrams): but now do you+ also put them all away:

Now put them ALL away, as adults.
I had an interesting discussion with a pretty perceptive teenager this morning, about another topic. He noted that you don't really start seeing who the "losers" are going to be until you get into high school. What he meant by losers was people who don't care about others, who start to become bullies or discipline problems or criminals. You can see this pattern in some preteens, but it's less common for them to be seriously hardened.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Word of God tells us that from our very youth we are born into an evil nature. So no we are not born innocent, therefore age has no bearing on salvation, other wise we would have no need to be born again from above by the Holy Spirit.

which brings up another question? when does this life "responsibility" to Christ begin....? Is one responsible for their own decision to follow Christ, while still in the womb, or does it begin at birth? What of the still born...? The point is this, where we don't know, the idea and concept of the age of accountability does come from scripture, if we don't accept all of scripture, we open ourselves up to a flood of questions that we will drive ourselves crazy trying to answer, and in the end, could drive people away from God with worldly answers, rather than Godly ones. I don't know when we are responsible for our decision, but I can't imagine that a baby not yet born is able to formulate a decision to follow God no matter the cost. I mean that just flies in the face of everything we know about babies. Is there and age of accountability? I don't know, but I also think the scriptural case is pretty strong...in the end God alone knows, which is why I have always taught my children, that when God says "all of me or none of me" they better be answering, and I pray that answer is "all of me". Just some thoughts for what it's worth...I see nothing at all in scripture that suggests it is okay for us to make a decision for Christ, then walk away for a season then return...in fact Heb. tells us that if we have really tasted the fruit of salvation, this cannot happen...further, we are warned against being lukewarm. I think too many parents get all worried that their children will not come to Christ, and in that worry, push their children to dishonor God with lukewarm beliefism or walking away when they are of age to decide for themselves. One of the hardest if not the hardest thing God asks of parents, is to let their children find their own relationship with God.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do however believe that it makes sense for there to be some kind of a cut off point in everyone's life where they become responsible for their own salvation. What do you guys think of the idea that leaving your father's household is that cutoff point. Do you think scripture could support that theory?
personally, I think this is a slippery slope of understanding, especially from a biblical standpoint. Consider this, I grew up in a household where my father believes that scripture (and he can produce scriptures) says that a wifes salvation is through her husband, not through Jesus Christ. An understanding of a cut off of when a child leaves the home, sets us up for this false assumptions about what scripture says....some even use scripture to push wives into bearing children (though not as common today) because scripture says that women will be saved through childbearing (I Tim. 2:15, I don't really care to focus on these mistreated passages, but that one is really easy to find)

In addition to the above issue, we then have to bring up the question that if this is the cut off, do they loose responsibility for their salvation, when circumstances in the world drive they back home to our house...or what of the aging parent that is taken in by the child in his old age? I don't know, it's a great question to discuss, but it seems to me that if we overthink it, we get ourselves tied into knots and forget what is the most important to God.
Romans 11:16 says "if the root is holy, all the branches are holy". This applies to Jesus and his church of course but the relationships within a family are symbols of the relationship between God and his church.
And what the family root teaches the children has a lot to do with what and who they will become in Christ...can I ask the age range of your children? Ours are 22 almost 23 to 12 range, and the reason I asked, is that I learned a lot about trusting God with my childrens spiritual lives, when I watched our children leave for and to different things, and at the same time, I see the value of teaching them while they are still at home.
Ephesians 5
28 Even so ought husbands also to love their own wives as their own bodies. ... even as Christ also the church; 30 because we are members of his body. 31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and the two shall become one flesh. 32 This mystery is great: but I speak in regard of Christ and of the church.

This passage compares the marriage between a man and a woman with the marriage of Christ and his church. But it goes further than that. It specifically says "for this cause" (for this reason) a man will marry a woman. What is the reason? I believe it's telling us that marriage is a symbol and a reminder of the relationship between God and his church. Just as Jesus told us to break the bread and drink the wine as a reminder, and to keep the sabbath holy as a reminder of our eternal rest to come. And God told the Israelites to practice feasts as symbols and reminders of his relationship with them and his plan for them.
wow, do I agree, but we become "married" to God when we covenant to follow Him, now look at Luke 14:26..."If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple....according to this passage, no matter our age, we leave our father and mother when we come to Christ and become His disciple. In the OT, young children would be dedicated to God's service and leave their parents to study in the temple...which brings us back to age. In fact, my husbands parents were missionaries in Nigeria, and the children all had to go to boarding school, is that they when they became at the age of accountability? What of foster children, taken from their parents very young, or those that are orphaned, some from birth....in fact, who then is considered the parent that the child must leave in order to be covenanted with God? I don't know, this line of reasoning is just presenting in my mind more questions than answers, I hope that isn't offending you...
Furthermore Genesis 2:24 says "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.". If a married couple are considered "one flesh" then how can one of the two be holy and the other not?

Based on that I believe it is possible that Romans 11 (If the root is holy all the branches are holy) could also be a symbol of the relationship between a man and his household. If the man is holy, his entire household is holy.

This would explain what Paul said to the jail guard in Acts 16:31 - “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household

What do you guys think?
Again, this brings up a host more questions in my mind about all kinds of thing, but one being what happens to the child who comes from an evil household, but decides to follow Christ no matter what the parents believe? Would that covenant to God not be honored because the father's household is one dedicated to evil, not to good? Seems to me this is talking about how the household is run, a noble purpose so to speak, rather than all the individuals under it's cover being holy...

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe in a theological "age of accountability". There is no point in our lives when a switch suddenly turns on. Human development begins in the womb and continues until death. Likewise, our life of faith and our calling as Christians is a life long process and struggle.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe in a theological "age of accountability". There is no point in our lives when a switch suddenly turns on. Human development begins in the womb and continues until death. Likewise, our life of faith and our calling as Christians is a life long process and struggle.

-CryptoLutheran
Paul's conversion, the eunuch, the calling of the disciples, the woman at the well, etc. etc. etc. they all had a moment in which the "switch suddenly turned on" didn't they? I'm not suggesting that their age of accountability (church words for what we are talking about) was at their conversion, but rather that we each have a moment in our lives when we are awakened to a world outside our physical senses, and it is in those moments of awakening to something more, that we come to Christ....wouldn't that be the age of accountability, the moment or moments in which we realize that there is more to our world than what our 5 senses take in? And wouldn't that awakening to something more, be a maturing, a growing, a process that doesn't just happen at a specific age, but because of the way we are wired, happens at about X age? To me, this just seems painfully logical, I don't know...

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, this brings up a host more questions in my mind about all kinds of thing, but one being what happens to the child who comes from an evil household, but decides to follow Christ no matter what the parents believe? Would that covenant to God not be honored because the father's household is one dedicated to evil, not to good? Seems to me this is talking about how the household is run, a noble purpose so to speak, rather than all the individuals under it's cover being holy...

Don't forget that a man's household includes servants as well. Servants who are adults. So if indeed a man's household is saved through the head of that household then the age of the people in that household is irrelevant.

But you brought up an interesting point. What if a member of that household is a follower of Christ, but the head of the household is not? Does his wickedness make the entire household wicked? I can't believe that is the case, but I also can't explain it.

But as for a wife being sanctified by the holiness of her husband, that does make sense to me because scripture does clearly tell us that when we marry we become one. If then as a married couple we are truly "one", as scripture says, it is impossible for only half this couple to be saved, while the other half is not. We are one flesh. We are either saved or we are not.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't forget that a man's household includes servants as well. Servants who are adults. So if indeed a man's household is saved through the head of that household then the age of the people in that household is irrelevant.
good point...but then another question, hasn't the servant already left his fathers house? So if it is related to when we leave our parents care, do we just enter anothers care and therefore are never responsible for ourselves?
But you brought up an interesting point. What if a member of that household is a follower of Christ, but the head of the household is not? Does his wickedness make the entire household wicked? I can't believe that is the case, but I also can't explain it.
It seems to me...that what we see being discussed here in scripture is a household that honors God or doesn't honor God. Let's look at an example...I grew up in an abusive household, very little honored God, even after they professed Christ their lives showed no change. The entire "mood" of the household was set by my father, that mood was one of an anger, bitterness, hostility, etc. By contrast, my husband purposes to live a Godly life, he puts forth the effort, and the mood of our house is one of forgiveness, grace, mercy, kindness, love. Each individual within the household must decide for themselves whom they will serve, but the atmosphere in which they make that choice, is vastly different, one showing the Love of God, the other showing the love for evil. The household itself, can with a Godly head, serve the Lord, even if someone within that house is not saved, because the actions and behaviors accepted are governed by the head. Hope that makes sense.
But as for a wife being sanctified by the holiness of her husband, that does make sense to me because scripture does clearly tell us that when we marry we become one. If then as a married couple we are truly "one", as scripture says, it is impossible for only half this couple to be saved, while the other half is not. We are one flesh. We are either saved or we are not.
be careful here, scripture also says...I Peter 3: Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. 7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

If a wifes salvation is through her husband, how can she show here hope in God if her husband is not saved? Furthermore, we are told in scripture that we can divorce for sexual infidelity, therefore the union of oneness, can "legally" be broken...to further complicate the problem, we see in scripture how God "divorced" Israel, which also suggests the bond of oneness can and sometimes is broken...so if a wife can win an unsaved husband, and the marriage oneness can legally be broken, why would be assume that a wife cannot be saved while a husband is not?

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Marriage can not be legally broken. A divorce can be granted only after the bond has already been broken through adultery. So the breaking of the bond itself was illegal (adultery), but after that is done, the innocent party can be legally released from their commitment through divorce.

Even God himself never broke the bond with Israel. Israel broke the bond through adultery. As a result of that God changed the terms of the agreement, broke off the bad branches and grafted in new branches.

But even if the head of the household can sanctify his entire household, I don't believe that salvation is withheld from other members of the household if the head of the household is a non-believer.

In other words, I don't think the wife's salvation depends on the husband (ie she could be saved even if he is not), but it's possible that she could be saved simply through the sanctity of her husband (she could be saved even if she's not a believer but he is).

I don't know. It's really all just a theory, but the fact remains, that although we are sinners and not worthy of salvation, we are sanctified through Jesus, who is the root of our tree. And being branches in that tree makes us members of his kingdom/household. That's what grace is all about. Saving those who don't deserve to be saved.

I just can't help but feel that there is a parallel to our earthly households.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Marriage can not be legally broken. A divorce can be granted only after the bond has already been broken through adultery. So the breaking of the bond itself was illegal (adultery), but after that is done, the innocent party can be legally released from their commitment through divorce.

Even God himself never broke the bond with Israel. Israel broke the bond through adultery. As a result of that God changed the terms of the agreement, broke off the bad branches and grafted in new branches.

But even if the head of the household can sanctify his entire household, I don't believe that salvation is withheld from other members of the household if the head of the household is a non-believer.

In other words, I don't think the wife's salvation depends on the husband (ie she could be saved even if he is not), but it's possible that she could be saved simply through the sanctity of her husband (she could be saved even if she's not a believer but he is).
how so, every passage I find on salvation suggests it's an individual thing, not a group decision, so how then, can a wifes salvation be through her husband (group)....in addition, every scripture I can find suggests that salvation is through the Lord Jesus Christ and Him alone, so how then could a husband, a mere man, bring salvation to his wife....sounds all to contrary to scripture for my liking...also, this leaves another problem, that of why would we assume that one can be a believer living under an ungodly head, but not being an unbeliever living under a godly head? Wouldn't that be a double standard that has no biblical basis? or is there biblical basis for one but not the other? If so, what is that basis. I mean even the idea of an age of accountability has a biblical basis, I'm not sure how strong, but it is there. When I look for biblical basis for the husband to be the salvation of his family, the only way I can get there is to dismiss other passages that suggest that is not possible. Personally, I believe scripture does not nor can it controdict itself, unless of course it is not from God (I believe it is from God) in addition, from a literature standpoint, scripture will not controdict itself. So if scripture clearly teaches that salvation is 1. individual, and 2. only through Christ and none other, than any teaching of salvation would have to fit into those two criteria, which means that either other teachings are wrong or all of scripture is wrong.

As to divorce being part of the law, of course, God would never break the covenant, but men and woman both can and do break the marriage covenant and in breaking that covenant, the law permits divorce, thus, the law permits divorce.
I don't know. It's really all just a theory, but the fact remains, that although we are sinners and not worthy of salvation, we are sanctified through Jesus, who is the root of our tree. And being branches in that tree makes us members of his kingdom/household. That's what grace is all about. Saving those who don't deserve to be saved.

I just can't help but feel that there is a parallel to our earthly households.
So, let's look at the analogy of the vine and the branches...in the theory that a man can be the salvation for his household, wouldn't that mean that the members of that household are twigs and leaves? Where is there any teaching about twigs and leaves? Isn't man always equated with branches? Just some thoughts, I'm really enjoying not being in trouble for asking questions, thanks so much, does my heart good!

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following scriptures support my theory.

Ephesians 5:23
For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

Note that it says "of which he is the Savior". Obviously this is talking about Christ, the savior of the church, but it says so while making the analogy to the husband and the wife. Why would it mention the fact that he is the savior, if it wasn't part of the analogy?

It also says that the church is Christ's body, which is again analogous to the wife being the husband's body. In verses 25 to 27 it again brings the cleansing of the church into the analogy.

Ephesians 5:25-33
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing[a] her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.

Then in the next few verses it again stresses that the church is one with Christ and parallels this to the marriage between a man and a woman, as they too become "one flesh".

29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33

It seems to me that the purpose of this entire passage is to draw the parallel between Christ joining with his wife who become his body, and the man joining with his wife who becomes his body. But all throughout this passage we are reminded that through the marriage of Christ with the church, the church is saved. So why make that part of the analogy if the wife does not inherit salvation from her husband?

1 Corinthians 11:3
But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.

So according to this scripture, the organizational structure has God as the head of Christ, Christ as the head of every man, and the man as the head of his wife.

1 Peter 3:7
Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

This verse says that the wife is an heir with the husband. An heir of the grace of life.

ok...here we go. As I'm typing this post I just found the smoking gun. I will leave my above quotes because they are relevant too, but the following verse spells it out plainly.

1 Corinthians 7:12-14
12 But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not [a]divorce her. 13 And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through [c]her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.

The unbelieving wife, and the children are sanctified through the believing husband. And it even says it goes the other way around. An unbelieving husband is also sanctified through his believing wife. Which answers our question about what happens to a believer in a household if the head of the household is a non-believer.

Interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just some thoughts, I'm really enjoying not being in trouble for asking questions, thanks so much, does my heart good!

And I'm really enjoying getting some honest thoughts from everybody. That is after all, the reason I started this thread.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The following scriptures support my theory.

Ephesians 5:23
For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

Note that it says "of which he is the Savior". Obviously this is talking about Christ, the savior of the church, but it says so while making the analogy to the husband and the wife. Why would it mention the fact that he is the savior, if it wasn't part of the analogy?
first, let me thank you for presenting scripture for us to look at, I'm so enjoying this discussion, thanks....next, let's look at Ephesians 5:23, the word here according to strongs "thayer" for head, means....
1) the head, both of men and often of animals. Since the loss of the head destroys life, this word is used in the phrases relating to capital and extreme punishment.
2) metaph. anything supreme, chief, prominent
a) of persons, master lord: of a husband in relation to his wife
b) of Christ: the Lord of the husband and of the Church
c) of things: the corner stone

it won't let me cut and paste the portion that is specific to Ephesians but basically, it is referring to 2, that of supreme nature, cheif, prominent, not to that of loosing life. In order for us to be able to see this passage as referring to salvation of the wife, it would seem to me that the first referance would have to apply being that it is related to life. Further, we notice that He is singular for the church, not plural for both the husband and Christ.
It also says that the church is Christ's body, which is again analogous to the wife being the husband's body. In verses 25 to 27 it again brings the cleansing of the church into the analogy.
Now this brings up another interesting idea, Look at I Corinthians 7:4...The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. Notice it isn't just the womans body that is no longer her's but the man also "looses rights to his own body" this is talking about sexual purity, and not salvation, as we see when we cross reference the teaching in scripture. I would also take a moment to point out here, something that my husband taught me years ago...in the marriage relationship the real work, the difficult part is all the man's. In fact, I would suggest to you that any man who was able to really love his wife the way Christ loved the church, with the purity and mercy and humble Love that we see in Christ, might have a real chance, grounds to suggest he could be both his and his wife's righteousness. But as we should painfully be aware of, men (mankind) is not capable of that kind of Love. We sin, we fail, we fall, and to claim otherwise is a lie. Christ's Love for the church was without sin...can you or any husband honestly claim to love your wife with the same Love? It's a tall order, one so tall that few men are even willing to talk about it, much less admit that they can't be the wifes righteousness until or unless he is able to Love with the purity of Christ. You see, the complete teaching includes but is not limited to the husband loving the wife the way Christ loved the church. Ephesians 5...it was the purity of that Love that brought salvation...
Ephesians 5:25-33
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing[a] her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.

Then in the next few verses it again stresses that the church is one with Christ and parallels this to the marriage between a man and a woman, as they too become "one flesh".
But, what happened to verse 25-26...can a mere man, Love anything or anyone with the purity that Christ loved the church with? The sacrifice that brought salvation into the world, was that of a perfect lamb, one without spot or blemish. That is the Love Christ had for the church...if a man cannot love his wife with the same purity, how can he bring salvation to anyone...? The sacrifice that brings salvation is pure, blameless, without spot...
29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33

It seems to me that the purpose of this entire passage is to draw the parallel between Christ joining with his wife who become his body, and the man joining with his wife who becomes his body. But all throughout this passage we are reminded that through the marriage of Christ with the church, the church is saved. So why make that part of the analogy if the wife does not inherit salvation from her husband?
How do we become the bride of Christ? Have you ever asked yourself that question? We choose to be part of His body...we choose, the body of Christ is not a body of arranged marriage. If the wife inherited salvation through her husband, then the church would be made up of betrothed partners, those that have no choice. Which leaves the question of how a wife that is married to a God fearing man can be evil enough to divorce, commit adultery, etc., if she is saved through her husband...?
1 Corinthians 11:3
But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.

So according to this scripture, the organizational structure has God as the head of Christ, Christ as the head of every man, and the man as the head of his wife.
yep, but that is where it ends, headship, already talked about that above.
1 Peter 3:7
Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

This verse says that the wife is an heir with the husband. An heir of the grace of life.

ok...here we go. As I'm typing this post I just found the smoking gun. I will leave my above quotes because they are relevant too, but the following verse spells it out plainly.
what happened to 1-6, which talks about how to win a non believing husband over to the Lord? Why would we be told how to win them for the Lord, if our salvation is all it takes for them to be saved?
1 Corinthians 7:12-14
12 But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not [a]divorce her. 13 And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through [c]her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.

The unbelieving wife, and the children are sanctified through the believing husband. And it even says it goes the other way around. An unbelieving husband is also sanctified through his believing wife. Which answers our question about what happens to a believer in a household if the head of the household is a non-believer.

Interesting.
but your still missing part of the equation, otherwise your children will be unclean....what does unclean refer to? My husband and I dealt with this question when our marriage was on the rocks because of inappropriate content addiction. To defile something is to make it unholy (that is no longer set apart) We are to be set apart, different from the world, vessels to be used for God's purpose. As such, a man can defile anything, from one another, to a tool used in the garden....in the OT it is often referred to in relation to sexual sin...Lev. 18 tells us the land can be defiled...Lev. 20 a sanctuary...Lev. 22, a corpse...Num. 18 the holy offerings became defiled...etc. If a man and woman have an unholy union and a child results, the child is defiled, because the union was unholy. It's about being pure before the Lord, not about being saved through one another. Now, not only is this understanding supported through scriptures like I presented, but is consistent with the totality of scriptural teaching on salvation.

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I point out the comparisons between human marriage and the marriage of Christ and the church I don't mean to imply that we as human men are capable of granting salvation the way that God is capable of granting salvation. All salvation comes through Christ.

It's true that no mere mortal man can love his wife with such purity as Christ loves his church. So it is not through anything that a man can do that his wife is saved. It is only through Christ that anyone is saved.

But that doesn't preclude the possibility that a wife can be saved by her husband's righteousness if his righteousness is from Christ. The key to all of this is that through Christ, though being mere sinful beings, we are blameless and spotless and without wrinkle. So even when we sin, as per your example, through Christ we are still spotless. That is an important point that we sometimes forget. We focus so much on what we do that we forget what he has already done. And that is exactly why we sing Amazing Grace, because it is amazing that he can consider us pure and clean regardless of our sin.

So when I say that the righteousness of a husband can sanctify his wife, I am talking about the righteousness the husband has through Christ. And as you know, through Christ all things are possible.

That is why I pointed out the organizational structure of God - Christ - Husband - Wife. The grace of God flows through that chain to the wife. It does not start with the husband, it starts with God.

As for choosing to be the bride of Christ, you are absolutely right. I have thought about that and I actually thought about it as I was typing my previous post. There are similarities between the two marriages but there are also obviously differences. That's why it's an analogy. The two situations are comparable but not identical. But don't forget that the wife also chooses to marry the husband and vice versa. So choosing to submit to this man, she is choosing to accept him wherever he may lead her. And if his path leads to Christ then she too receives Christ.

But regardless of how any of us feels about all of that we can not ignore the words of Paul who said "The unbelieving wife, and the children are sanctified through the believing husband.". It is as plain as day. The only way you can deny what it says there is if you have a different definition of "sanctified" than I do. To me sanctified means saved.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I point out the comparisons between human marriage and the marriage of Christ and the church I don't mean to imply that we as human men are capable of granting salvation the way that God is capable of granting salvation. All salvation comes through Christ.

It's true that no mere mortal man can love his wife with such purity as Christ loves his church. So it is not through anything that a man can do that his wife is saved. It is only through Christ that anyone is saved.
so far, I'm with you, and agree that is what scripture says...
But that doesn't preclude the possibility that a wife can be saved by her husband's righteousness if his righteousness is from Christ.
How so? You just said that Christ alone is our salvation, so if that which is holy (set apart; Christ) flows through an unholy man (in this case the husband) then any "salvation" he could offer his wife would be defiled, impure, incomplete, not salvation at all. I'm not sure if I'm disagreeing with you at this point, or not understanding what you are intending...so let me ask you a question for clarification. What do you think the salvation the husband gives the wife is from? What is she saved from?
The key to all of this is that through Christ, though being mere sinful beings, we are blameless and spotless and without wrinkle.
again, right out of scripture, we have the righteousness of Christ, but that righteousness is ours alone, not something we can give to another. Well, that isn't totally correct either...I've been studying biblical Love for a few years now, when we Love others, we are sharing our salvation with those that we Love, not directly as in they are saved through us, but indirectly as in they see the Christ in us and our lives witness to them of that power and might.
So even when we sin, as per your example, through Christ we are still spotless. That is an important point that we sometimes forget. We focus so much on what we do that we forget what he has already done. And that is exactly why we sing Amazing Grace, because it is amazing that he can consider us pure and clean regardless of our sin.
Got to Love that...but again, only the individual can apply the blood that heals the wounds and brings Christ righteousness as our own.
So when I say that the righteousness of a husband can sanctify his wife, I am talking about the righteousness the husband has through Christ. And as you know, through Christ all things are possible.
so if you are speaking of Christ's righteousness, then it isn't the husbands righteousness at all. The husband is no necessary for the wife to come to Christ as we see time and time and time again...
That is why I pointed out the organizational structure of God - Christ - Husband - Wife. The grace of God flows through that chain to the wife. It does not start with the husband, it starts with God.
If what you are talking about, is that the husband or the wife is a testimony to their spouse of the Love and righteousness of Christ, I'd say, Praise the Lord, amen, Go God...but testimony is the only thing that I can make sense out of here and that is true for every single person we come into contact with, not just spouses. The spouse has however, a unique opportunity to witness and testify of Christ's Love.
As for choosing to be the bride of Christ, you are absolutely right. I have thought about that and I actually thought about it as I was typing my previous post. There are similarities between the two marriages but there are also obviously differences. That's why it's an analogy. The two situations are comparable but not identical. But don't forget that the wife also chooses to marry the husband and vice versa. So choosing to submit to this man, she is choosing to accept him wherever he may lead her. And if his path leads to Christ then she too receives Christ.
Only if she submits...let's go back to strongs (thayers)...This word was a Greek military term meaning "to arrange [troop divisions] in a military fashion under the command of a leader". In non-military use, it was "a voluntary attitude of giving in, cooperating, assuming responsibility, and carrying a burden".

So many people try to make it about obedience, rather it is about working toward the same goal. So, if the couple marries, with a common goal of honoring God, then salvation would be for both, not because of anything either did to or for each other, but because they are both seeking God with all their hearts, soul, minds, and exceedingly as in accordance with the common goal. But what about when the two marry without this common goal, what about one coming to Christ after marriage. In that case, the believing wife cannot present her body to sin, simply because the husband is the head of the house, this would be in violation of her covenant with God and would make her having an affair on her marriage covenant with God.
But regardless of how any of us feels about all of that we can not ignore the words of Paul who said "The unbelieving wife, and the children are sanctified through the believing husband.". It is as plain as day. The only way you can deny what it says there is if you have a different definition of "sanctified" than I do. To me sanctified means saved.
Nor can we ignore Peter's words when he tells us how a believing wife might win her husband to Christ...it is far from an instant thing, and far from a promise, rather it is a hope through living a righteous life in front of the spouse.

but back to Pauls words...strongs again (thayer)...sanctified... to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow2) to separate from profane things and dedicate to God
a) consecrate things to God
b) dedicate people to God
3) to purify
a) to cleanse externally
b) to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin
c) to purify internally by renewing of the soul

the part I can't cut and paste declares this passage to be referencing the wholesome life that comes with the married spouse that believes and in that explosure to the things of God, will hopefully come to a saving knowledge of Christ...would tend to fit, 2 above...iow's it isn't referring to their salvation, but rather their exposure to Christ so much so that they eventually come to Christ themselves. This also is consistant with I Peter when it talks about a wife and an unbelieving husband...

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You just said that Christ alone is our salvation, so if that which is holy (set apart; Christ) flows through an unholy man (in this case the husband) then any "salvation" he could offer his wife would be defiled, impure, incomplete, not salvation at all. I'm not sure if I'm disagreeing with you at this point, or not understanding what you are intending...so let me ask you a question for clarification. What do you think the salvation the husband gives the wife is from?
I think you're not understanding me. I'm not saying the husband gives her salvation, I'm saying she inherits the salvation that her husband has received from Christ. So she receives it from Christ, through her husband.

Got to Love that...but again, only the individual can apply the blood that heals the wounds and brings Christ righteousness as our own. so if you are speaking of Christ's righteousness, then it isn't the husbands righteousness at all. The husband is no necessary for the wife to come to Christ as we see time and time and time again...

You're right, of course. The husband is not necessary for the wife to come to Christ. Nor is the wife necessary for the husband to come to Christ, but according to Paul, either one of them is sanctified if the other comes to Christ.

If what you are talking about, is that the husband or the wife is a testimony to their spouse of the Love and righteousness of Christ, I'd say, Praise the Lord, amen, Go God...but testimony is the only thing that I can make sense out of here and that is true for every single person we come into contact with, not just spouses.
Nor can we ignore Peter's words when he tells us how a believing wife might win her husband to Christ...it is far from an instant thing, and far from a promise, rather it is a hope through living a righteous life in front of the spouse.
the part I can't cut and paste declares this passage to be referencing the wholesome life that comes with the married spouse that believes and in that exposure to the things of God, will hopefully come to a saving knowledge of Christ...would tend to fit, 2 above...iow's it isn't referring to their salvation, but rather their exposure to Christ so much so that they eventually come to Christ themselves. This also is consistant with I Peter when it talks about a wife and an unbelieving husband...

It's possible that when Paul says "sanctified" he means in the sense that through the example of the believing spouse they will eventually also be led to Christ, but that seems extremely unlikely to me because of the myriad other words he could've chosen to use.

1 Peter
In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, 2 as they observe your chaste and [a]respectful behavior.

Here Peter instructs the wife to behave in a way so as to win the husband over to the Lord, as you've pointed out. I don't disagree with that, but if I am correct when I say that salvation can be had by an unbelieving spouse then that proves that "salvation" and "being a believer" are two separate things.

And even though the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his believing wife, she will still want him to become a believer for many other reasons such that he may change his ways and live his life for the Lord and presumably through his own life win other souls for the Lord as well.

In other words, the fact that Peter instructs the unbelieving wife to win her husband over to the Lord does not prove that he doesn't obtain salvation through her. It only proves that we should continue to lead by example because it may lead those around us to believe. The way I read it, Peter's words do not contradict Paul's words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you're not understanding me. I'm not saying the husband gives her salvation, I'm saying she inherits the salvation that her husband has received from Christ. So she receives it from Christ, through her husband.
how is that possible without her choosing to receive it? From John 3:16 on, we see that we are responsible for choosing...so how then can it just be an inheritance, in fact, recently my studies took me into inheritance and I see no such teaching in scripture about a wife inheriting her husbands salvation...
You're right, of course. The husband is not necessary for the wife to come to Christ. Nor is the wife necessary for the husband to come to Christ, but according to Paul, either one of them is sanctified if the other comes to Christ.
we looked at sanctified and according to the word study, sanctified here does NOT mean salvation...here's that part again...but back to Pauls words...strongs again (thayer)...sanctified... to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow2) to separate from profane things and dedicate to God
a) consecrate things to God
b) dedicate people to God
3) to purify
a) to cleanse externally
b) to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin
c) to purify internally by renewing of the soul

the part I can't cut and paste declares this passage to be referencing the wholesome life that comes with the married spouse that believes and in that exposure to the things of God, will hopefully come to a saving knowledge of Christ...would tend to fit, 2 above...iow's it isn't referring to their salvation, but rather their exposure to Christ so much so that they eventually come to Christ themselves. This also is consistant with I Peter when it talks about a wife and an unbelieving husband...
It's possible that when Paul says "sanctified" he means in the sense that through the example of the believing spouse they will eventually also be led to Christ, but that seems extremely unlikely to me because of the myriad other words he could've chosen to use.

1 Peter
In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, 2 as they observe your chaste and [a]respectful behavior.

Here Peter instructs the wife to behave in a way so as to win the husband over to the Lord, as you've pointed out. I don't disagree with that, but if I am correct when I say that salvation can be had by an unbelieving spouse then that proves that "salvation" and "being a believer" are two separate things.
salvation is the result of belief...:confused:...of course they are two separate things, however, one cannot have salvation without belief, again from John 3:16 on we see that belief brings us salvation. How then can a non believing wife inherit her husbands belief? I can't make sense of that any way I try to look at it. I don't inherit my parents beliefs and I'm so thankful I don't, coming from an abusive home, I would be in sad shape if I claimed belief in Christ then lived in the inheritance of evil.
And even though the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his believing wife, she will still want him to become a believer for many other reasons such that he may change his ways and live his life for the Lord and presumably through his own life win other souls for the Lord as well.
this would be her desire, but her desire alone does not equal his belief, but rather another avenue for him to hear truth.
In other words, the fact that Peter instructs the unbelieving wife to win her husband over to the Lord does not prove that he doesn't obtain salvation through her. It only proves that we should continue to lead by example because it may lead those around us to believe. The way I read it, Peter's words do not contradict Paul's words.
I'm confused...if our behavior might key word might lead an unbelieving spouse to Christ, how is that NOT contridicting the idea that an unbeliever inherits salvation?

Consider this, I stand to inherit, probably within the next couple to few years, and so we think about what to do with the inheritance being that it will be a substantial amount of money. Now, my parents showing me how they use their money, doesn't mean I will inherit their same values and lifestyle, in fact, I would rather have no inheritance than to live the way they do. But I will inherit the money, to do with what I wish. Likewise, if we allow Peter to interpret Paul, the unbelieving spouse inherits the knowledge and wisdom that their believing spouse received upon belief, but not the actual salvation that was theirs alone. Let's rephrase that, the (in this case the wife is an unbeliever, the husband a believer) husband upon his death, leaves his wife the inheritance of the knowledge and wisdom of Loving God and seeking God with all his being, just as I will inherit the money from my parents. However, the salvation that the husband has, is his alone, just as my parents value system is theirs alone. I am free to adopt their value system, just as the wife is free to adopt her husbands zeal for God, but it cannot be inherited, only accepted or rejected by the one remaining.

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
how is that possible without her choosing to receive it?

With God all things are possible. And I don't mean that to sound like an easy "catch all" answer. The fact is God is a graceful God. He is a loving God. Have you ever heard that song sung in church "You can't be our daddy anymore"? Super sad. It's about a family that's killed in a car crash but the father was an unbeliever. So at the gates of heaven the mom and children are let in but the father is turned away, and the children say "You can't be our daddy anymore". That song made me cry in church that day, but now it makes me cry because it is a lie. That song does not represent the God that I know.

So when you ask "how is that possible without her choosing to receive it?" It's like asking "how is it possible that God would be so gracious?". Of course people have to choose God over the world, but according to 1 Corinthians chapter 7 there are some exceptions. And that shouldn't come as a surprise because as we have already established young children are also accepted into heaven without having made the choice. If God can make an exception for young children out of the goodness of his heart, then why is it so hard to believe that he can make an exception for full grown loved ones as well?

so how then can it just be an inheritance, in fact, recently my studies took me into inheritance and I see no such teaching in scripture about a wife inheriting her husbands salvation...

On the contrary. We have been discussing such verses all along.
1 Corinthians 7:14
14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through [a]her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.

And don't forget that we as the bride of Christ all inherit a clean slate from our husband, even though we don't deserve it. Yes, we've chosen to accept it but we do that by becoming the bride. It is the joining in a union that gives us salvation. That is not so different from an unbelieving spouse choosing to join in a union and inheriting salvation as a result of that union. She may not have chosen her salvation but she has chosen her groom. Just as we have. "

And according to scripture, when the two join they become one. Any part of that union can not be unholy or the entire union is unholy. If the root is holy, all the branches are holy." Not, all the branches will hopefully eventually mostly become holy. No, they are holy. It's automatic.

And it only makes sense, if you think about it. We like to call marriage "holy matrimony", but can the union be holy at all if only one half of the couple is saved? Would God even consider that a valid union? Isn't that like trying to join two negatively charged magnets together? That's not a union. To make a union is to make two separate parts into one single part. And if the union is sanctified by God then there are no longer two separate parts but one part and it is that one single part that is sanctified by God. Husband and wife together.

we looked at sanctified and according to the word study, sanctified here does NOT mean salvation..

My mistake. I thought you and I were on the same page regarding the word "sanctified". According to your definition to be sanctified is to be purified and washed clean. Is that not the way scripture describes those who are saved?

Here is Strong's definition of the word used for "sanctifiy" as per concordances.org. The word is hagiazó.

hagiazó: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify
Original Word: ἁγιάζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: hagiazó
Phonetic Spelling: (hag-ee-ad'-zo)
Short Definition: I make holy, sanctify
Definition: I make holy, treat as holy, set apart as holy, sanctify, hallow, purify.

Cognate: 37 hagiázō (from 40 /hágios, "holy") – to regard as special (sacred), i.e. holy ("set apart"), sanctify. See 40 (hagios).

[37 (hagiázō) means "to make holy, consecrate, sanctify; to dedicate, separate" (Abbott-Smith).]

If "to make holy" can not be equated with salvation then I don't know what can.

it isn't referring to their salvation, but rather their exposure to Christ so much so that they eventually come to Christ themselves.

A person's exposure to Christ certainly has the potential to lead one to Christ, but it is far from a guarantee. You and I both know that.

And with all due respect the text does not say "the unbelieving wife will be influenced by her believing husband so that she may potentially some day turn to Christ". It clearly says "the unbelieving wife is sanctified through [a]her believing husband". Not maybe, or perhaps, or someday hopefully. No, it says she is sanctified. It's automatic.

This also is consistant with I Peter when it talks about a wife and an unbelieving husband... salvation is the result of belief...:confused:...of course they are two separate things, however, one cannot have salvation without belief, again from John 3:16 on we see that belief brings us salvation.

Belief brings us salvation, yes. But according to 1 Corinthians chapter 7, being married to a saved husband or wife also brings salvation. That's just what it says.

How then can a non believing wife inherit her husbands belief?

She does not inherit her husbands belief. She inherits her husbands salvation. Subtle yet significant difference.

I'm confused...if our behavior might key word might lead an unbelieving spouse to Christ, how is that NOT contradicting the idea that an unbeliever inherits salvation?

It doesn't contradict it because having sanctified your husband through your own faith, does not mean you don't also want him to accept Jesus. Faith in Jesus is more than just about what happens when you die. That's the salvation part. But it is also about how we live while we are alive. That's the faith part. So regardless of whether or not your spouse is sanctified through you, you will still want him to come to the faith so that you can share it with him and he can share it with others.

I am free to adopt their value system, just as the wife is free to adopt her husbands zeal for God, but it cannot be inherited, only accepted or rejected by the one remaining.

Naturally. But I am not talking about inheriting a belief system. Nobody can tell you what to believe. In order to understand what I'm saying you have to be able to separate salvation from faith. If you insist that they go together then this will never make sense.

I realize it's a different way of looking at things, but if you let the scriptures lead you it's really not that hard to believe. God is a gracious God. When Jesus said "What God has brought together, let man not separate" do you think he forget to tell us that God himself would separate the couple at the gates of heaven? Did he forget to mention that, or did he not mention it because it would never happen?

What God has brought together... God will not separate. Even after death.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Paul's conversion, the eunuch, the calling of the disciples, the woman at the well, etc. etc. etc. they all had a moment in which the "switch suddenly turned on" didn't they? I'm not suggesting that their age of accountability (church words for what we are talking about) was at their conversion, but rather that we each have a moment in our lives when we are awakened to a world outside our physical senses, and it is in those moments of awakening to something more, that we come to Christ....wouldn't that be the age of accountability, the moment or moments in which we realize that there is more to our world than what our 5 senses take in? And wouldn't that awakening to something more, be a maturing, a growing, a process that doesn't just happen at a specific age, but because of the way we are wired, happens at about X age? To me, this just seems painfully logical, I don't know...

Oh, there can definitely be an "aha!" moment, whether at conversion or along the way, but such a moment should not be taken as necessary or even normative. For most Christians in history faith began in infancy and has grown, matured and developed and our understanding and appreciation of the Gospel also matures over the course of our lives.

I've definitely had several profound "aha!" moments in my life. But these did not suddenly make me responsible for my actions, nor were they salvific. Salvation is not an experience, but a work and gift from God. The guarantee is God's promises. Our ability to understand or comprehend the vast mysteries of the Faith are not determinative of our standing before God, but rather God's gracious calling and promise on our lives in Christ.

From cradle to grave, and grave to Age to Come, the work of God is continuous and faithful. And in this life we will never but see in a glass dimly, and only then--on the Last Day--face to face.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With God all things are possible.
except for the things God sets in stone, like we must believe to be saved....
And I don't mean that to sound like an easy "catch all" answer. snip for space
haven't heard the song...as to who God is...He tells us in His word that belief brings salvation, nothing else. It appears like you are allowing your compassion to cloud your understanding of Love. Love being the very nature of God. You see, Love is compassionate, but compassion isn't Love. Compassion can sometimes lead us away from truth, make us unjust, etc. But, Love always rejoices in truth, Love is always just, both things that God always is. A lot of times, we get ourselves messed up because we try to see God through man's eyes, rather than seeing God through the eyes of Love. I don't know, that is how I see your comments after studying biblical Love for years now. God is the God of Love, but man's sense of compassion isn't necessarily Love. We can talk more about that if you like, even what heaven will be like, does not suggest that your understanding from the song is accurate, in fact, scripture says that we won't even remember this earth, it also says that in heaven there will be no marriage or giving in marriage...a very different set of rules and "compassionate" responses than what we know here on earth. And, our compassionate response doesn't change who God is...
So when you ask "how is that possible without her choosing to receive it?" It's like asking "how is it possible that God would be so gracious?".snip for space
well, first we haven't shown without doubt that I Corinthians 7 tells us that some can come without that conscience effort, which leaves a huge problem. In fact, what I can find suggests otherwise, but we are still discussing that, so we will see how the discussion ends. Secondly, the difference between children and adults is their ability to choose whom they will follow. It is about when they are mature enough to understand. Your children for example (kiddy Psych 101) can't distinguish truth from fantasy. In fact some suggest they aren't able to really know the difference before 8 to10 years of age. This would suggest that they are incapable of knowing what to believe about God before the age of 8 to 10, in this one area of development, and that is only one area of development. By contrast, an adult has already gone through that developmental process and is able to distinguish between what is true and what is fantasy, as such, there is no reason for God to make them an exception when the law says death. It really all goes back to the bible and what the bible tells us, but modern day understanding helps us understand. Scripture says, we must believe, no exceptions, so why then would we try to fit I Cor. 7 into a different truth?
On the contrary. We have been discussing such verses all along.
1 Corinthians 7:14
14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through [a]her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.

And don't forget that we as the bride of Christ all inherit a clean slate from our husband, even though we don't deserve it. snip for space
well, as to the sanctified part, I showed you from word study that it's intended meaning was that of undefiled, not salvation, so I'm not sure why we can't talk about that a bit, and deal with that portion of the argument, but as to the second part, the difference is a spotless, blameless, perfect husband, verses an unholy, sinful, husband. Unless you are trying to claim that a human husband is loving his wife like Christ Loved the church, there is absolutely no comparison in what they can do and give one another. If your claim is that he is loving her like Christ loved the church, I will show you in scripture where God calls you a liar. salvation is through Christ and Christ alone, there are so many scriptures that tell us that I don't even know where to begin.
And according to scripture, when the two join they become one. Any part of that union can not be unholy or the entire union is unholy. If the root is holy, all the branches are holy." Not, all the branches will hopefully eventually mostly become holy. No, they are holy. It's automatic.
And? If I am married to an unbeliever, my union is unholy...no big surprise there. But there is nothing in scripture that suggests that I can force that union to be holy...notice even in that passage, there are two possibles, that of a holy union and that of an unholy one. Two possibles...
And it only makes sense, if you think about it. We like to call marriage "holy matrimony", but can the union be holy at all if only one half of the couple is saved?
we call it holy matrimony, where does God call it such? The marriage union is only holy when both partners are believers, striving for the same goal, that of setting their marriage apart for the glory of God. If one of the partners is an unbeliever, the goals are not the same, therefore, the union is not holy. My salvation doesn't change my spouses purpose for marriage, therefore, my salvation cannot make the union holy.
Would God even consider that a valid union?
scripture says He does, but valid and holy are not necessarily the same thing. In fact, in a marriage where one spouse is a believer and the other an non believer, the believers goal is to win the nonbeliever to Christ, thus creating a holy union. IN fact, if salvation was inherited, there would be no purpose for trying to win the non believer for Christ (church wording), because they would automatically inherit it anyway...which brings up another question for your theory...what happens if the non believer dies before the believer, who then inherits the salvation?
Isn't that like trying to join two negatively charged magnets together?
yep...
That's not a union. To make a union is to make two separate parts into one single part. And if the union is sanctified by God then there are no longer two separate parts but one part and it is that one single part that is sanctified by God. Husband and wife together.
If holy is that which is set apart, which we talked about, then one can have a union that is not holy. In fact, we see this in everything from casual sex, prostitution, civil unions, homosexuality, etc. Unions that are unholy...
My mistake. I thought you and I were on the same page regarding the word "sanctified". According to your definition to be sanctified is to be purified and washed clean. Is that not the way scripture describes those who are saved?

snip for space

If "to make holy" can not be equated with salvation then I don't know what can.
salvation is an act of holiness, but holiness is not salvation. Equally, to be washed is what happens when we are saved, but salvation isn't solely to be washed clean. Look at the foot washing...what did Jesus say? John 13:10... Jesus answered, “Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.”

Obviously, it is possible to be partially washed, but not completely washed.
A person's exposure to Christ certainly has the potential to lead one to Christ, but it is far from a guarantee. You and I both know that.

And with all due respect the text does not say "the unbelieving wife will be influenced by her believing husband so that she may potentially some day turn to Christ". It clearly says "the unbelieving wife is sanctified through [a]her believing husband". Not maybe, or perhaps, or someday hopefully. No, it says she is sanctified. It's automatic.
I'm not questioning that portion, sorry for the misunderstanding...what I am saying is that when we put the I Peter passage up next to this one, we see that sanctified fits if we understand that we can be partially clean but not totally clean. How I see our difference at this point, is that you see things as all or none, that is we are perfect and clean, or we are vial and defiled. Yet scripture shows us that we can be clean and defiled, sanctified (that is clean) and at the same time dirtied with sin. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting we can be partially saved, that is crazy, what I am suggesting...let's go back to an example. When my husband was into inappropriate content and our marriage was falling apart, we were both believers, but sin had defiled us. He was the one who sinned, but his sin because of our marriage union, also defiled me. The purity of our lives was tarnished, we needed our feet washed. Likewise, salvation doesn't come outside of belief and belief is not something you can inherit. The unbelieving wife must come to her own belief, she might live in an union set apart for God, but she isn't submitting to that union unless or until she decides to follow God.
Belief brings us salvation, yes. But according to 1 Corinthians chapter 7, being married to a saved husband or wife also brings salvation. That's just what it says.
no, it says sanctified, not salvation...it is important to see what it says, not read into it what is not there. Previously you spoke of word choice...so let me throw this out there, if Paul had intended that to read salvation, why would he choose the word sanctified, rather than salvation?
She does not inherit her husbands belief. She inherits her husbands salvation. Subtle yet significant difference.
How so if salvation is only through belief? That makes no sense, I'm really anxious to see your thought process on that. If salvation only comes through belief, as scripture says time and time again, and that belief in the Lord Jesus Christ, how then is it possible for a non believing spouse to inherit salvation without also inheriting belief and Christ? I can't make any sense out of that at all.
It doesn't contradict it because having sanctified your husband through your own faith, does not mean you don't also want him to accept Jesus. snip for space
I think I am beginning to see the difference between what you and I are saying and believing...which is why I previously asked you what the wife would be saved from....Salvation is that word that expresses our ransom, our payment for the death that we earned. In that ransom, we no longer need to die, the penalty is paid, the difference however, is that from my study of scripture, that life begins the moment I come to Christ. A missionary friend says it this way, if God only wanted to save you from hell, then at the moment of conversion you would be instantly transported to heaven. Salvation isn't about avoiding hell, it's about life.

In fact, we are currently teaching biblical Love in SS, recently we talked about how God lavishes us with Love. To see that, we went to Rev. 21 and talked about heaven. But, there is also a list and if you like, I can post a copy of that list, of some of the lavishness we are given here in the here and now. You are separating the two, our life from our salvation. What I am suggesting is that our life is part of our salvation. Salvation isn't something we get when we die, it's something we get this very moment and for the rest of eternity. Life begins today, not at death....a fundamental difference that might be the root of our disagreement and how we see these passages...
Naturally. But I am not talking about inheriting a belief system. Nobody can tell you what to believe. In order to understand what I'm saying you have to be able to separate salvation from faith. If you insist that they go together then this will never make sense.
all I know is what scripture says and Ephesians 2:8...For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--...seems pretty clear to me....
I realize it's a different way of looking at things, but if you let the scriptures lead you it's really not that hard to believe. God is a gracious God. When Jesus said "What God has brought together, let man not separate" do you think he forget to tell us that God himself would separate the couple at the gates of heaven? Did he forget to mention that, or did he not mention it because it would never happen?
He didn't say He wouldn't separate, He said MAN should not separate. I find this over zealous need for compassion to be a huge problem for many...so let's look at it for a moment. In our Masters program, we are currently studying Job, how do you see Job in relation to this compassionate God you speak of? How could a God so compassionate that He would not separate a husband and wife at the gates of heaven, inflict/allow Job to be inflicted with such great pain as he knew?

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh, there can definitely be an "aha!" moment, whether at conversion or along the way, but such a moment should not be taken as necessary or even normative. For most Christians in history faith began in infancy and has grown, matured and developed and our understanding and appreciation of the Gospel also matures over the course of our lives.
can you show some evidence of this...of the people I know, only a very small handful of people who made a decision for Christ as young children, did NOT (that is to say, most walked away, only a few did not) walk away from their faith as teens and/or young adults. Some returned, some didn't. In fact, statistically, the PK's leave the church faster than anyone else. In addition statistically our churches have been declining in young people for years. There are some interesting statistics here Church attendance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and here Church Society - Issues - Statistics - Attendance there are a host of others...
I've definitely had several profound "aha!" moments in my life. But these did not suddenly make me responsible for my actions, nor were they salvific. Salvation is not an experience, but a work and gift from God. The guarantee is God's promises. Our ability to understand or comprehend the vast mysteries of the Faith are not determinative of our standing before God, but rather God's gracious calling and promise on our lives in Christ.
agreed, but I was referring to the developmental nature of human beings, not the inner working of the HS. They are two very vastly different things.
From cradle to grave, and grave to Age to Come, the work of God is continuous and faithful. And in this life we will never but see in a glass dimly, and only then--on the Last Day--face to face.

-CryptoLutheran
amen to that...

Upvote 0