At what point does associating with sinners become wrong?

Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some Christian pastors say, not just with regards to marriage, but also with friendships and the kind of people you associate with, to not hang out with sinners-and to be yoked with Christians.

Two questions I have.

Jesus didnt avoid even sinners caught up in sinful lifestyles. I dont think Christians should shun people, but at what point does associating yourself with a person who practices sin become unequally yoked"?

At what point does having a non christian friend cross the line into being unequally yoked?

I'd just like to point out two things to consider:

1. Jesus was filled with God's Holy Spirit while here on earth in human form, therefore, making it nearly impossible to be beguiled into sinning.

2. We are not playing on a level playing field. A rotten apple will corrupt an entire bushel of apples, one by one. But a nice ripe, juicy apple will never make a bushel full of rotten apples ready to eat. :scratch:

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd just like to point out two things to consider:

1. Jesus was filled with God's Holy Spirit while here on earth in human form, therefore, making it nearly impossible to be beguiled into sinning.

2. We are not playing on a level playing field. A rotten apple will corrupt an entire bushel of apples, one by one. But a nice ripe, juicy apple will never make a bushel full of rotten apples ready to eat. :scratch:

Wrong! If you look at Jesus' actions on Earth, he made "a bushel full of rotten apples ready to eat". It is our role as Christians to show, by word and deed, a better way to live to those who are trapped by sin. We too are "filled with God's Holy Spirit while here on earth in human form".

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wrong! If you look at Jesus' actions on Earth, he made "a bushel full of rotten apples ready to eat". It is our role as Christians to show, by word and deed, a better way to live to those who are trapped by sin. We too are "filled with God's Holy Spirit while here on earth in human form"

Speaking for myself, I would never claim to have as much of the Holy Spirit within me as Jesus had/has.

I have never known or seen a perfectly ripe, ready to eat fruit of any kind, convert a rotten fruit into edible form.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Speaking for myself, I would never claim to have as much of the Holy Spirit within me as Jesus had/has.

I have never known or seen a perfectly ripe, ready to eat fruit of any kind, convert a rotten fruit into edible form.

So you think that the Holy Spirit is given to people in part? Really?

Because we have been given the Holy Spirit, we are in Christ and are God's adopted children.

1 Corinthians 3:16, "Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?

... partially? I don't think so.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well....I suppose we can agree to disagree?
there are many scriptural passages alluding to my point of view being accurate. If one can be filled with the Spirit, than one can also have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, not necessarily being full of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the simplest terms when you are becoming them and they are not becoming like Christ it is time to flee. Our association is to be a light and salt to the world, aka sinners by telling them the good news of Christ. When we are no longer representing Christ we have overstayed and no longer light and salt.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some Christian pastors say, not just with regards to marriage, but also with friendships and the kind of people you associate with, to not hang out with sinners-and to be yoked with Christians.

Two questions I have.

Jesus didnt avoid even sinners caught up in sinful lifestyles. I dont think Christians should shun people, but at what point does associating yourself with a person who practices sin become unequally yoked"?

At what point does having a non christian friend cross the line into being unequally yoked?

as soon as it leads you into sinning.

• Agree
Reactions: CaspianSails
Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In I Cor 5:10ff (for example), Paul wasn't concerned with our associating with non-Christians (per se), since that would require us to "go out of the world" (a practical impossibility) - his issue was with us associating with Christians who lead obviously unruly lives, lives inconsistent with the behavior Jesus calls us to lead.

Basically, if our association with non-Christians (or unruly Christians) leads us to behave as non-Christians then, well then we're sinning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OceanPoet87

Husband 'N Wifi
Feb 7, 2012
Near Lewiston, ID
✟13,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the simplest terms when you are becoming them and they are not becoming like Christ it is time to flee. Our association is to be a light and salt to the world, aka sinners by telling them the good news of Christ. When we are no longer representing Christ we have overstayed and no longer light and salt.

This. We are supposed to go out into the world, making disciples and reaching those who don't know Jesus. If we are being led astray by non believers who repeatedly lead us into things that go against God's call for our life then we must kindly separate from them. This would be like a Christian starting to do meth to reach meth addicts or a high schooler hanging with a bad crowd of friends who encourage them to sneak out late to drink and lie to their parents. The converse would be a Christian recovering from drug abuse not neglecting their friends in order to lead them to Christ (if that is their calling). The other addicts aren't being discarded, but offered the chance to know Jesus. In the example of the student, he/she's bad friends can see the change in their life and have someone they can ask questions about Christ. Now if the friends refuse to repent and force the member to choose, they would reluctantly have to take a break from the friendship while still praying for them of course.

Upvote 0

Astroqualia

Born-again Truthseeker
Feb 5, 2019
FL
✟11,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Two questions I have.

Jesus was also perfect, and we are not.

Upvote 0

TedT

Member since Job 38:7
Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
t what point does having a non christian friend cross the line into being unequally yoked?
At the point of idolatry, willing to stand against GOD's judgement of them so as to postpone that judgement as long as possible as per the parable of the weeds in Matt 13.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I certainly understand your point, but we aren't talking about fruit, people are much more complex that apples.
My attitude is if I can't be a positive influence then I won't associate. Sometimes we may be led to someone that needs us to lift them up, and hopefully draw them to Christ, that is our purpose.

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Two questions I have.

...I suppose, when you start behaving like your non-Christian friends and not as Christ commanded.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican

Two questions I have.

Just based on the title the point it becomes wrong is when you partake in the sin or surround yourself with sinners who are sinning when you hang out with them.

Upvote 0