• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

At last, agreement on hydration.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: ChicanaRose

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I drink six ounces of cold brewed coffee. But I consume lots of water. I appreciate its benefits for my body and skin. Good diet is reflected in our appearance and often enhances the face and décolletage. It is possible to drink too much water but I see noticeable differences in my skin when I’m lacking. The brightness and dew are muted.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
While drinking over as gallon of water a day may not be necessary, even harmful, does not mean that getting your liquids from just the food you eat and a little bit of other fluids is what is best for your health. It is going to cause you problems on down the line. The kidneys quite simply need fluids to work efficiently. I was a dialysis tech for 20 years. They end up fixated on fluids for they are not allowed to drink more than 1 liter of fluids a day--including water that is in their food for cooking--such as in oatmeal, rice and everything. That's because their kidneys are not working and they will retain the water which can move from the tissues into their lungs and heart. Normal kidneys will not work efficiently on low water---you'll live, get by, but sooner or later---you will have problems. It takes a lot of water not just for the kidneys to work, but for the skin and other organs to function, even your eyes. Dialysis patients suffer from dry, at times very itchy skin because of the low fluids. The eyes will dry with not enough water causing vision problems on down the road--cataracts worsen and macular degeneration. Good luck---you will need it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While drinking over as gallon of water a day may not be necessary, even harmful, does not mean that getting your liquids from just the food you eat and a little bit of other fluids is what is best for your health. It is going to cause you problems on down the line. The kidneys quite simply need fluids to work efficiently. I was a dialysis tech for 20 years. They end up fixated on fluids for they are not allowed to drink more than 1 liter of fluids a day--including water that is in their food for cooking--such as in oatmeal, rice and everything. That's because their kidneys are not working and they will retain the water which can move from the tissues into their lungs and heart. Normal kidneys will not work efficiently on low water---you'll live, get by, but sooner or later---you will have problems. It takes a lot of water not just for the kidneys to work, but for the skin and other organs to function, even your eyes. Dialysis patients suffer from dry, at times very itchy skin because of the low fluids. The eyes will dry with not enough water causing vision problems on down the road--cataracts worsen and macular degeneration. Good luck---you will need it.

The more unhealthy you are the more water you need and vice versa. A healthy body is an excellent manager of hydration. An unhealthy body needs more water. If you are in the medical field you are dealing with unhealthy bodies.

I'm 79 and in very good general health, although I have had my bumps, and I have a developing cataract (runs in my family but mine has come much later than others). Also my skin has always itched, even when I was guzzling a gallon of water per day. I blame it on the long hot showers I take.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I drink six ounces of cold brewed coffee. But I consume lots of water. I appreciate its benefits for my body and skin. Good diet is reflected in our appearance and often enhances the face and décolletage. It is possible to drink too much water but I see noticeable differences in my skin when I’m lacking. The brightness and dew are muted.

Interestingly, I had onbce begun to suffer from what I thought was psorisasis on my back. It had gotten rough, scaly, and intensely itchy.

For other reasons, I dramatically increased my water intake, drinking a thirty-ounce container four times a day (including through the night).

The surprising result was that my back cleared up.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also my skin has always itched, even when I was guzzling a gallon of water per day. I blame it on the long hot showers I take.

The skin is drier with age. You can address the issue at home by sloughing with a brush and salt scrub. You’d follow with a cool rinse and body cream with shea butter or coconut oil. You need something rich that will hydrate the skin. You can get similar treatments at a spa. Sometimes they’re included in a body wrap.

If you opt for the home route make you alter between a salt and sugar scrub. The latter is for polishing. It amplifies the skin’s natural glow. I make my own scrubs and butters. But I’d recommend organic options or vegan options if you’re purchasing them.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The skin is drier with age. You can address the issue at home by sloughing with a brush and salt scrub. You’d follow with a cool rinse and body cream with shea butter or coconut oil. You need something rich that will hydrate the skin. You can get similar treatments at a spa. Sometimes they’re included in a body wrap.

If you opt for the home route make you alter between a salt and sugar scrub. The latter is for polishing. It amplifies the skin’s natural glow. I make my own scrubs and butters. But I’d recommend organic options or vegan options if you’re purchasing them.

I use the old fashion solution. I rake my back with a bamboo back scratcher until it turns red with tiny broken blood vessels, which hydrates my skin and relieves the itch. Works great (but if I had someone to rub some of that stuff on my back I wouldn't complain). ;)

• Haha
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The more unhealthy you are the more water you need and vice versa. A healthy body is an excellent manager of hydration. An unhealthy body needs more water. If you are in the medical field you are dealing with unhealthy bodies.

I'm 79 and in very good general health, although I have had my bumps, and I have a developing cataract (runs in my family but mine has come much later than others). Also my skin has always itched, even when I was guzzling a gallon of water per day. I blame it on the long hot showers I take.

Yes--like I said, some people can get away with it, however, very few do not end up with problems from it. Esp. when dealing with elimination. And yes, I was dealing with unhealthy bodies. You might not have had those "bumps" along the way with more fluids--you did drink more fluids for a while at least. Hope you stay healthy.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes--like I said, some people can get away with it, however, very few do not end up with problems from it. Esp. when dealing with elimination. And yes, I was dealing with unhealthy bodies. You might not have had those "bumps" along the way with more fluids--you did drink more fluids for a while at least. Hope you stay healthy.

Elimination is a good indicator of proper hydration, and I have great elimination. My bumps aren't associated with dehydration but a rather poor diet over a long period of time, some carelessness, and exposure to someone else's disease.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I use the old fashion solution. I rake my back with a bamboo back scratcher until it turns red with tiny broken blood vessels, which hydrates my skin and relieves the itch. Works great (but if I had someone to rub some of that stuff on my back I wouldn't complain). ;)

I’m much too delicate for your method! ~lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
... (showers/ unfiltered) .... OFTEN causes itching because of the poisons in the tap water, admitted across the country.....

ALSO, the way you describe it, it is LIKELY you are dehydrated, and dehydration can cause itching also....

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Me too, esp. after my colon cancer surgery---I can easily become dehydrated. And that can shut down the kidneys.
Be aware that caffeine (in coffee, chocolate, et al) may cause (frequently) symptoms (and problems) of dehydration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
... (showers/ unfiltered) .... OFTEN causes itching because of the poisons in the tap water, admitted across the country.....

ALSO, the way you describe it, it is LIKELY you are dehydrated, and dehydration can cause itching also....

I have a shower filter (installing a new cartridge this month in fact). It's only my back that itches, which I blame on my long hot showers, and my aging skin. I get enough fluids. My back only itches in the evening after my shower. And it's not a serious problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Be aware that caffeine (in coffee, chocolate, et al) may cause (frequently) symptoms (and problems) of dehydration.

leave my chocolate alone.. thank you..

hahaha

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
leave my chocolate alone.. thank you..

hahaha
I do , I do leave it alone - (usually) - ,, one chocolate bar was enough to precipitate an asthma attack long before I knew it was because of dehydration. .....

i.e. drink enough distilled water so the chocolate/ caffeine doesn't cause troubles....

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do , I do leave it alone - (usually) - ,, one chocolate bar was enough to precipitate an asthma attack long before I knew it was because of dehydration. .....

i.e. drink enough distilled water so the chocolate/ caffeine doesn't cause troubles....

oh a chocolate allergy! I feel sorry for you.. for real.

I like chocolate, I often have a chocolate bar on my bedside table and will have a square at bedtime.. It's yummy.

I stay well hydrated, I believe it's important. I drink bottled spring water, not sure how good that is but it doesn't cause me any issues and my kidneys are functioning at a high level (recently checked that).. and I look younger than I am so yea!

lol..

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Yep--so does alcohol. I stay away from all caffeine--I also react to it very strongly anyway---1/4 of coffee will get my heart rate up too high within 15-20 min. And no matter how early I drink it, it would keep me up all night. I am an avid label reader!

Upvote 0