Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Recently, I was asked why God makes homosexuals the way they are. That, after sharing concerns about people—even Christians, mind you—who prayed for deliverance to no effect. I responded by recounting a feature story (ten-columns long!) that my local newspaper ran some years ago about a clergyman who asked the same thing.

As a Southern Baptist minister, Matt Nevels knew all the biblical injunctions against homosexuality. He believed that same-sex orientation was a choice and that homosexual practice was a sin. Until, that is, his 30-year-old son, Stephen, came down with AIDS.

Continued below.
Asking the Wrong Questions About Homosexuality

• Winner
Reactions: Wolseley

Larry H.

Oct 2, 2022
Whiteville
✟9,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Recently, I was asked why God makes homosexuals the way they are. That, after sharing concerns about people—even Christians, mind you—who prayed for deliverance to no effect. I responded by recounting a feature story (ten-columns long!) that my local newspaper ran some years ago about a clergyman who asked the same thing.

As a Southern Baptist minister, Matt Nevels knew all the biblical injunctions against homosexuality. He believed that same-sex orientation was a choice and that homosexual practice was a sin. Until, that is, his 30-year-old son, Stephen, came down with AIDS.

Continued below.
Asking the Wrong Questions About Homosexuality

Very well explained. A radical call to repentance and a commitment to transformation is a great start.
I encountered a similar conversation years ago. I was carrying on a conversation with a guy that had went from Christian to non-believer. He said he did not identify himself as an atheist but said he just doesn't follow Christianity anymore. Though we talked about several different things, one of the topics I remember was a discussion on the "once saved always saved" belief. He said he went to church with his mother who was a devoted Christian. During that time he said that she was a firm believer that the once saved always saved doctrinal belief that, "once you accept Christ no matter what you do you always belong to Christ and will spent eternity with Him", was a False Doctrine. However he said when he turned from Christianity his mother also changed her beliefs to include that everyone saved are always saved. He said that he's sure she changed her beliefs because she didn't want to think of her son ending up in hell. I believe that this happens a lot, not just in Christianity. Rather than face the reality of a loved one's decision, we just compromise what we believe. I guess you could relate it to a man that believes in the death penalty, until his son commits murder.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Excellent article. The juxtaposition of homosexuality, which is a psychosexual disorder, with various physical disorders, such as cleft palate, club foot, asthma, etc., is particularly apropos.

Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Excellent article. The juxtaposition of homosexuality, which is a psychosexual disorder, with various physical disorders, such as cleft palate, club foot, asthma, etc., is particularly apropos.

Homosexuality is not a disorder, psycho-sexual or otherwise. It is simply how our genes express themselves, in about 10% of the global population. We have enough evidence from twin studies to be sure that our sexualities are heavily influenced by our DNA.

Best wishes, Strivax.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Homosexuality is not a disorder, psycho-sexual or otherwise. It is simply how our genes express themselves, in about 10% of the global population. We have enough evidence from twin studies to be sure that our sexualities are heavily influenced by our DNA.

Best wishes, Strivax.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm sure you will be neither surprised nor upset that I don't happen to agree with your conclusions. Have a Merry Christmas! :)

Upvote 0