Ask and you shall... receive?

Matthew 7
7 Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
I find it hard to believe that I could be given anything I ask for. Not that I don't believe it can be done by God, because I believe and have faith that God can do all things. But, I don't believe I could be given what I ask for because maybe I don't deserve it.

But even beyond that, what if I was a very devoted and loving follower of Christ, but what I asked for was not part of God's will for my life, therefore he would not give it to me... isn't that proposing a contradiction to this passage of the scriptures?

I've always been told that God can give us three answers when asked something from him: yes, no, or wait. But doesn't this passage suggest otherwise? It doesn't say "For everyone who asks MIGHT receive, and he who seeks MIGHT find, and to him who knocks it MIGHT be opened," but it says "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If one is "a very devoted and loving follower of Christ", over time he is going to be conformed to the character of Christ. He will not knowingly ask for things outside the will of God. And if it is shown that he is doing so, he will desist voluntarily, because he values his relationship with the Lord above all else.

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear whydoesithavetobethisway. You are right, God gives us 3 answers. Yes, if it is good for us, No, if it is not good for us, and Wait, if there are others to be considered. 1) is it good for you? God will know, because God sees our life before Him, Past-Present-Future. 2) is it Not good for you? Here again, God will know what it does for you. 3) Wait!! We know that God will never force us in any way, and everybody else has the same free will to say No. In that case we have to keep praying and God will keep "softening" for a better word, the other person`s will, or whim, or difference. That takes time, sometimes longer than other times. I know there are people prayed for some lenght of years. God is our Heavenly Father, and like Jesus told us in Matthew, God will only give us "good" things, because He loves us. I say this with love. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

tawnde

Aug 28, 2011
Dallas/Fort Worth
✟15,186.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
We really need to understand the context of this passage. Is Jesus really saying you can ask for anything such as something physical, a want or desire and you will receive it?

I'm not sure but I think this passage is referring to asking for something spiritual or maybe it's even more of an analogy? Perhaps it's saying if you ask for Jesus then you will receive Him?

Is there anyone here with more knowledge of this passage that could give some insight?

Upvote 0