Ask a Christian philosopher a question

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know many here have asked me questions and for whatever reason I either was unable to respond, chose not to respond, or did not see the question and thus have left the questioner feeling overlooked.

Therefore I propose that in this thread, if anyone wants to ask me a question post it and I will address it. Since there are numerous questioners and I am but one, I ask that you only present one question to me. Not two or three or ten, no statements or claims, but just one question. No memes, gifs, sarcasm or cynicism. No jokes, and nothing that would cause this thread to be closed.

No questions about why I haven't answered this question or that.

So if anyone has a question that fits that criteria the ask and I shall attempt a worthy response. If there passes an interval of time between the last question I answer, then the first person to have asked a question can ask another one and so in turn following that order.

Think carefully about what you will ask and make the question succinct as possible.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: fat wee robin

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I attend Elevation Church out of Charlotte, NC and it is a non-denominational church.
Thank you.

I don't know why people who do belong to some Christian denomination choose to identify themselves here only as "Christian," which leaves everyone else to wonder if they're one of those who refuses to have anything to do with other Christians, if they have some very strange definition of "Christian," or or else are just calling themselves by this term in order to have access to many of the Christians Only forums.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is it possible to derive morality sans an external moral agent?

Good question.

I think it not only possible, but that men in fact do come up with certain moral judgments without appealing to an external agent.

I am not sure if that was what you are asking or not.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do you think it is acceptable to lie if doing so furthers Christianity in some way?

Since the term "Christianity" is so broad and encompasses so many things , I would have to say no to this question.

However, I do believe there are times when it is morally obligatory and good to tell a lie, if that is what you wanted to know.

Reactions: PapaZoom
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Since the term "Christianity" is so broad and encompasses so many things , I would have to say no to this question.

However, I do believe there are times when it is morally obligatory and good to tell a lie, if that is what you wanted to know.
Okay, then let's narrow it down: do you consider it acceptable to deceive others if doing other furthers your own theological commitments in some way?

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you.

I don't know why people who do belong to some Christian denomination choose to identify themselves here only as "Christian," which leaves everyone else to wonder if they're one of those who refuses to have anything to do with other Christians, if they have some very strange definition of "Christian," or or else are just calling themselves by this term in order to have access to many of the Christians Only forums.
Since all questions asked at present have been answered, I will answer this. It seems to me you are asking me why do some here who are in fact, a member of a specific denomination, choose not to identify as such?

My answer would be that there may be any number of reasons these people have chosen not to identify themselves as members of the denomination of which they belong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Okay, then let's narrow it down: do you consider it acceptable to deceive others if doing other furthers your own theological commitments in some way?
Yes.

I can give you a scenario where I would do this if you would like.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since all questions asked at present have been answered, I will answer this. It seems to me you are asking me why do some here who are in fact, a member of a specific denomination, choose not to identify as such?

My answer would be that there may be any number of reasons these people have.
I always wonder what the reason would be for not identifying one's denomination (or 'non-denominational' as the case may be) when filling out the personal data form, especially when one's actual association is one of the choices offered.

But I was only asking you which church you belong to, so to better understand where you're coming from. You did answer my question, so that's settled.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I always wonder what the reason would be for not identifying one's denomination (or 'non-denominational' as the case may be) when filling out the personal data form, especially when one's actual association is one of the choices offered.

But I was only asking you which church you belong to, so to better understand where you're coming from. You did answer my question, so that's settled.

Thanks Albion! Happy to be help. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I attend Elevation Church headquartered in Charlotte NC.

Pastor Furtick last week preached on "I am better under Pressure".

If you can, go to their website and watch his sermon and any other ones you see that you might be interested in. He is a relatively young man and the church is being blessed by God for I have witnessed this first hand.

You will be encouraged! :thumbsup:

Elevation Church
I attend Elevation Church out of Charlotte, NC and it is a non-denominational church.
An interesting concordance (1, 2). I'm sure it's just another coincidence though. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you.

Albion,

....some of us don't feel comfortable with a firm identification to any specific denomination, and if others are like me, they may also want to leave open the door to affiliate with various other Christians on an ecumenical level, without sparring over the secondary issues.

I classify myself as a "Historic Christian," meaning that I attempt to draw from all sources of Christian faith available to us from the last 2,000 years, with the Scriptures holding the Primary, or preeminent, place in my faith (i.e. Jesus and the Apostles).

Last edited:
Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Albion,

....some of us don't feel comfortable with a firm identification to any specific denomination, and if others are like me, they may also want to leave open the door to affiliate with various other Christians on an ecumenical level, without sparring over the secondary issues.

I classify myself as a "Historic Christian," meaning that I attempt to draw from all sources of Christian faith available to us from the last 2,000 years, with the Scriptures holding the Primary, or preeminent, place in my faith (i.e. Jesus and the Apostles).

Very well, but that does more or less fit one of the "categories" I referred to, doesn't it?--not a member of any denomination or non-denominational congregation and also not partial to any particular set of ideas identified with one of the leading denominations. I'm assuming that not being a regular attendee at any particular church goes with it.

The only "problem" there (for the rest of us, that is) is that we don't know--until we get the explanation you volunteered here--which reason for choosing the generic "Christian" category is the one that applies to you (or anyone else in the same situation).

By the way, there seems to be only a slight benefit in taking "Christian," since most of the religious forums are open to any Christian; it's only the denominational safe houses that aren't, and they would demand their own denominational tag. Anyway, it was just a small consideration that I perhaps shouldn't have brought up.

Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0