United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What part do you play in this:

One of the tasks of Christians is to stay ahead of the bioethics current; to think now, not later, about the sort of society we want. We need to try and anticipate with the scientists what various novel experiments will mean and suggest ethical ways to pursue our common interest in serving humanity. The introduction of a new technology often follows a common path - first its development behind closed doors, then the winning over of the public with predictions of life-saving advances, then finally, a regulatory regime to fit the already completed package. Clearly it is much better to have regulatory regimes set up earlier in the process. Denis Alexander, talking about new technologies, calls on Christians to 'undertake the hard slog necessary to assess their possible benefits. We worship God by our actions and are condemned for our failure to act (James 4:17).'

SOURCE

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What part do you play in this:

Thank you for bringing this up AV. As I read it, it is actually a major (probably the largest, my subconscious reasons might be other than my conscious ones. If not then it IS my largest) reason I am studying nanotechnology. I got into this field because I want to help make this world a better place. To use my God-given gifts for everyone's benefit. Not personal profit.

I believe very strongly that if we have a particular skill set we should always use this for the common good. For me, that is part of the very core of what my Christian belief and faith is all about. Servitude to all.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for bringing this up AV. As I read it, it is actually a major (probably the largest, my subconscious reasons might be other than my conscious ones. If not then it IS my largest) reason I am studying nanotechnology. I got into this field because I want to help make this world a better place. To use my God-given gifts for everyone's benefit. Not personal profit.

I believe very strongly that if we have a particular skill set we should always use this for the common good. For me, that is part of the very core of what my Christian belief and faith is all about. Servitude to all.
This is why I think scientists are God-gifted.

In my opinion, people like you are what lend dignity to the field.

Would to God we had more like you -- :thumbsup:

Reactions: TheReasoner
Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is why I think scientists are God-gifted.

In my opinion, people like you are what lend dignity to the field.

Would to God we had more like you -- :thumbsup:
:blush:
From the bottom of my heart: Thank you AV1611. That is a most humbling praise! Especially when it comes from someone with whom I disagree on so many other issues. :p

Please do join me in prayer for the scientific community that those of us who think that way will both have good academic success and that our numbers will grow. All too many think primarily of personal gain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:blush:
From the bottom of my heart: Thank you AV1611. That is a most humbling praise!

Please do join me in prayer for the scientific community that those of us who think that way will both have good academic success and that our numbers will grow. All too many think primarily of personal gain.
Hmmm ... I never thought of that.

I will certainly do so! :thumbsup:

For all my rantings against scientists, I don't think I ever once prayed for them as a whole! :(

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm ... I never thought of that.

I will certainly do so! :thumbsup:

For all my rantings against scientists, I don't think I ever once prayed for them as a whole! :(

:)
It's never too late to start.

I suggest, humbly, that you and I despite our differences of opinion and belief nuances agree to pray for the community as a whole. Not for any case such as against or for evolution, but for the scientific community's focus to shift towards being in service to all of mankind, and that God will help those with a focus of this nature to gain momentum.

What do you say?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:)
It's never too late to start.

I suggest, humbly, that you and I despite our differences of opinion and belief nuances agree to pray for the community as a whole. Not for any case such as against or for evolution, but for the scientific community's focus to shift towards being in service to all of mankind, and that God will help those with a focus of this nature to gain momentum.

What do you say?
Sounds good to me, but I still plan to combat evolution as error doctrine.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sounds good to me, but I still plan to combat evolution as error doctrine.

And you'll run a risk of being wrong in your assertions in that regard. thereby in your attempt at combating error doctrine you may in fact be spreading it.

Upvote 0