• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Ashamed of hurtful things I’ve said to people

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I was at school I experienced people making fun of me for my appearance and it definitely affected my confidence as I grew up. I used to look in the mirror all the time and hate how I looked. I would look at surgery online to see what I could do to fix myself and even contacted one of them. Not only this but one time even my own dad called me ugly. That hurt me so much.
Having experienced this myself, I know how hurtful words can be and so I also feel a lot of shame and guilt over things I have said myself.

When I started middle school I remember saying something mean about a girl’s appearance and made fun of it a couple of times in front of people. This person also made fun of me back and as I mentioned above people had also been mean to me, but this doesn’t make me feel any better about myself. For the rest of my time at school I think there was definitely some tension between us and no doubt things I said contributed to that.

Because of saying hurtful things I feel ashamed of myself. I have seen this person in public a few times and we just ignored each other. I think they did their best to stay away from me :(

I feel very down that I can’t go back and not have been mean to someone.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was at school I experienced people making fun of me for my appearance and it definitely affected my confidence as I grew up. I used to look in the mirror all the time and hate how I looked. I would look at surgery online to see what I could do to fix myself and even contacted one of them. Not only this but one time even my own dad called me ugly. That hurt me so much.
Having experienced this myself, I know how hurtful words can be and so I also feel a lot of shame and guilt over things I have said myself.

When I started middle school I remember saying something mean about a girl’s appearance and made fun of it a couple of times in front of people. This person also made fun of me back and as I mentioned above people had also been mean to me, but this doesn’t make me feel any better about myself. For the rest of my time at school I think there was definitely some tension between us and no doubt things I said contributed to that.

Because of saying hurtful things I feel ashamed of myself. I have seen this person in public a few times and we just ignored each other. I think they did their best to stay away from me :(

I think we've all said or done things in the past that we regret as we mature. The real sign of maturity is realizing such things and not doing them anymore. I still know people who find pleasure in mocking others based on appearance or the likes, even as adults and tell them frequently to grow up.

But God doesn't want you to feel down about it, repentance maybe, but not legitimate depression. Offer your sorrow to God, ask for grace and strength to do better in the future then take what you know, and use it to make yourself better with the help of the Holy Spirit. Instead of speaking hurt, speak life and mercy. Instead of judging, offer love. Instead of bitterness, offer grace. You got this!

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

It's OK; if we don't come to the realization of how we've hurt people, we keep doing it.
Once we come to that realization, we can go forward being kind. It took me a loooooong
time to realize this but

"we can not harm others without harming ourselves; we can not harm ourselves without harming others"

Keep it with you, it will do you (and others) well

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think we've all said or done things in the past that we regret as we mature. The real sign of maturity is realizing such things and not doing them anymore. I still know people who find pleasure in mocking others based on appearance or the likes, even as adults and tell them frequently to grow up.

But God doesn't want you to feel down about it, repentance maybe, but not legitimate depression. Offer your sorrow to God, ask for grace and strength to do better in the future then take what you know, and use it to make yourself better with the help of the Holy Spirit. Instead of speaking hurt, speak life and mercy. Instead of judging, offer love. Instead of bitterness, offer grace. You got this!
Thank you for your words. I find it hard knowing that someone would try to avoid me if they saw me because of something I said. I guess I have to move on.

• Friendly
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's OK; if we don't come to the realization of how we've hurt people, we keep doing it.
Once we come to that realization, we can go forward being kind. It took me a loooooong
time to realize this but

"we can not harm others without harming ourselves; we can not harm ourselves without harming others"

Keep it with you, it will do you (and others) well
Do I try put it behind me or should I do something about it?

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do I try put it behind me or should I do something about it?

Was it a long time ago? They nearby? Maybe see if you can find their address and send them an honest letter of apology or knock on their door and give it in person. They might appreciate either, and you can feel better either way hopefully.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Was it a long time ago? They nearby? Maybe see if you can find their address and send them an honest letter of apology or knock on their door and give it in person. They might appreciate either, and you can feel better either way hopefully.
10 years ago

Upvote 0

axydavid

Weird
Aug 6, 2012
City 17
✟9,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
10 years ago
There is a saying that goes like this:
Hurt people hurt people.

It is as funny as it is true.
It is time to love yourself. It is time to look yourself in the mirror and accept who you are and love yourself. The bible says: love your neighbor as yourself. You can never love somebody if you hate yourself. Move on from the useless past and love yourself.

If God loves you who are you to disagree? If Jesus died for you who are you to argue with his decision? Accept that you were hurt, and move on. Heal yourself by loving yourself.

When did shame do anything good for you? Will it save you from the hellfire? Did it give you an opportunity to become somebody in life?

Is your insecurity going to repair the mistakes that you did? So start by loving yourself, everything else will flow naturally, including you apologizing to that person for hurting her.

Here's a video that I think will help:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums