• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

AS and the Big Depression coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

PairoDocs

Jan 11, 2008
Southern Idaho USA
✟15,268.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was considering the quote, too. Yes, we should live as if Jesus were coming back tomorrow (in our holiness before God and consistency of our lives in Christ), but should also plan for the future just in case He decides to delay a couple of hundred years more.

As for the original subject of this thread, just look at what the Dow Jones has done since earlier this year. From a high of 13,136.69 to a low just last week at 6469.95, it's clear that an economic implosion is definitely taking place. People put too much faith in the stock market, and those who put too much in are literally paying the price. Even the y2k bug, both caused by and cured by our Aspie brother Bill Gates and Microsoft, was nothing compared to what's happening now. This is different from the 1930s Great Depression in that much of our money is based purely on faith rather than on gold as it was back then.

Why is this depression happening? Here's my opinion. First, there's an ungodly sense of entitlement that people have. They want to live better with less quality work. No protestant work ethic taught in school, no protestant work ethic--well you guessed it--at work. Then capitalism at its golden best (sarcastically spoken here): oil companies raising prices--because they could get away with it. Then people with credit/debit cards buying (still abundant in most places) full tanks of gas for their gas guzzler vehicles, paying $4.00/gallon instead of $1.50/gallon. Fixed budget minus 2-3 times gasoline money minus mortgage payment = negative balance = bounced checks. A few hundred foreclosures banks can handle, a few million... The big bucks banks just couldn't handle it; stockholders sold off, and credit became very tight. Oil companies tried to pull a "Bill Gates" and rescue us from the problems they caused to begin with (in part, of course) by lowering crude oil prices, but too late. Now we have a new president and congress who have managed more deficit spending in 1 1/2 months than our previous president did in the prior four years. With 2 trillion $ more deficit than ever, what sort of economic ruin will our children inherit? Will China or Saudi Arabia own the US, UK, or other western (nominally Christian) nations? Will the antichrist save the day?

Yep, we'd better pray that God helps us be ready for a Depression, perhaps one that will not resolve short of direct divine intervention. We had WW II to help us get out of the prior one. What's the option now? A nuclear war??? It would cure the depression all right--yeah by having no people to be in an economic depression! Remember Jesus' warnings about the last days. Pray, as He instructed us to, so the days are shortened for the sake of the elect (us).

My wife firmly believes that there will be valued places for Aspies (like me) in even a dystopian society, as our special areas of expertise (or at least problem solving skills) will be valuable assets. Consider how our genetic traits survived throughout the centuries. If having an autistic spectrum disorder was all bad, wouldn't it be logical that society would have eliminated our tendencies from the human genome? ASDs seem to be heritable, so we've always had a place in this world both in good times and in bad times. By God's grace, if this time coming up is a bad time, then we'll again make it through. Perhaps, we'd even be much more welcome in a desperate society who needs the creative approach of someone who thinks so far out of the box, he/she doesn't even know where the box is.

Before getting too alarmed about my post, just try to remember that the Lord loves us and wants as many people saved as possible. If it means the consequences of our world's collective stupidity are held back by the merciful hand of God, all the better. It may provide time for more to be saved. However, if He's fed up with the sin in this world, He may just let the world reap what it has been sowing lately--but He'll keep us safe somehow--the Bible promises that.

God bless.

Upvote 0
D

Dojima

The world is running out of oil. All the other alternatives are either inadequate or will come online too many years from now. Our civilization is based upon cheap oil for energy and products. Our civilization is going to catastrophically collapse soon. It will reorganize into something like existed in year 1900, but with no horses or oxen -- and 16 times as many people.

In 1900, half the population was involved in farming. There will be a forced migration of the population into growing food. Slavery and chain-gangs will come back.

Yes.

But remember that end-of-the-world-predictions come up now and then. Don't freak out.

Another note is that the price of oil doesn't really matter, as money can just be printed. What matters is net energy surplus, that is how much energy we have to spend to extract energy.
The problem is not that we are running out off oil, but that once we reached the peak (and still have half left) it will cost more energy to extract energy, the net energy surplus will fall. And that is the problem as we need exponential growth to maintain society.

See this very interesting seres on the topic:
Crash Course Chapter 1: Three Beliefs - change | Crash Course Videos at Chris Martenson - change, Crash Course, future, next 20 years, technology, three beliefs

Upvote 0

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was considering the quote, too. Yes, we should live as if Jesus were coming back tomorrow (in our holiness before God and consistency of our lives in Christ), but should also plan for the future just in case He decides to delay a couple of hundred years more.

As for the original subject of this thread, just look at what the Dow Jones has done since earlier this year. From a high of 13,136.69 to a low just last week at 6469.95, it's clear that an economic implosion is definitely taking place. People put too much faith in the stock market, and those who put too much in are literally paying the price. Even the y2k bug, both caused by and cured by our Aspie brother Bill Gates and Microsoft, was nothing compared to what's happening now. This is different from the 1930s Great Depression in that much of our money is based purely on faith rather than on gold as it was back then.

Why is this depression happening? Here's my opinion. First, there's an ungodly sense of entitlement that people have. They want to live better with less quality work. No protestant work ethic taught in school, no protestant work ethic--well you guessed it--at work. Then capitalism at its golden best (sarcastically spoken here): oil companies raising prices--because they could get away with it. Then people with credit/debit cards buying (still abundant in most places) full tanks of gas for their gas guzzler vehicles, paying $4.00/gallon instead of $1.50/gallon. Fixed budget minus 2-3 times gasoline money minus mortgage payment = negative balance = bounced checks. A few hundred foreclosures banks can handle, a few million... The big bucks banks just couldn't handle it; stockholders sold off, and credit became very tight. Oil companies tried to pull a "Bill Gates" and rescue us from the problems they caused to begin with (in part, of course) by lowering crude oil prices, but too late. Now we have a new president and congress who have managed more deficit spending in 1 1/2 months than our previous president did in the prior four years. With 2 trillion $ more deficit than ever, what sort of economic ruin will our children inherit? Will China or Saudi Arabia own the US, UK, or other western (nominally Christian) nations? Will the antichrist save the day?

Yep, we'd better pray that God helps us be ready for a Depression, perhaps one that will not resolve short of direct divine intervention. We had WW II to help us get out of the prior one. What's the option now? A nuclear war??? It would cure the depression all right--yeah by having no people to be in an economic depression! Remember Jesus' warnings about the last days. Pray, as He instructed us to, so the days are shortened for the sake of the elect (us).

My wife firmly believes that there will be valued places for Aspies (like me) in even a dystopian society, as our special areas of expertise (or at least problem solving skills) will be valuable assets. Consider how our genetic traits survived throughout the centuries. If having an autistic spectrum disorder was all bad, wouldn't it be logical that society would have eliminated our tendencies from the human genome? ASDs seem to be heritable, so we've always had a place in this world both in good times and in bad times. By God's grace, if this time coming up is a bad time, then we'll again make it through. Perhaps, we'd even be much more welcome in a desperate society who needs the creative approach of someone who thinks so far out of the box, he/she doesn't even know where the box is.

Before getting too alarmed about my post, just try to remember that the Lord loves us and wants as many people saved as possible. If it means the consequences of our world's collective stupidity are held back by the merciful hand of God, all the better. It may provide time for more to be saved. However, if He's fed up with the sin in this world, He may just let the world reap what it has been sowing lately--but He'll keep us safe somehow--the Bible promises that.

God bless.

That's quite true.
Infact not long ago on a rare occassion while watching Dr Phil on tv he said that very thing. We are now raising a generation that feels entitled to everything. We as a country are now reaping in some ways what we have sown.

Upvote 0

burck

May 12, 2009
✟7,628.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
i was wondering if any of you struggle with this...i am so discouraged, in terms of my AS. it runs in my family: my brother has AS and my son has autism.

i am a christian and i cannot understand how asperger's glorifies God. i cannot keep a conversation going w/ anybody, and i, too, do not know when i should say something or when i should not. silence in discourse is utterly awkward, and i cannot make eye contact, if my life depended on it.

i love the Lord, and i know He commands peace to rule in our hearts. He also tells us to love others, and to speak only that which is edifying to the listener. i have no friends, so how am i to love others when all i seem to do is make others feel awkward and uncomfortable when talking w/ me. how can asperger's glorify Him? anybody?

how can a christian w/ AS lead others into the kingdom when people don't feel comfortable talking w/ us? how can i be an instrument for God's glory? i feel so alone, too.

Upvote 0

Timuchin

May 4, 2007
Visit site
✟8,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dear Burke,
I am sad for you and your family. Fortunately God will judge us and reward us with regards how we play the hand that has been dealt us. There is no justice here on Earth, but we get absolute net justice when counting Earth and heaven. Your reward will be great.

Your son's autism can be dealt with by:
1. praying to neutralize the poisons in your son's cells.
2. pray about doing chelation to get rid of poisons.

As for generational AS, the name for that is Aspergers. That's the way we are. The majority of the population look down on us as misfits, lazy, boring, sarcastic, paranoid, etc. They assume everyone thinks like them or they are subnormal. "Shape up!"

Take a look at: Relations Index down near the bottom. The main thing you need to learn is body language, the unwritten rules of social relationships and the five love languages. You also need evidence you are Aspergers like Bill Gates and Steven Spielberg and myself.

To find friends like yourself, you first have to decide if your interests are:
1. "visual" such as paintings, lists, calligraphy, movies, etc.
2. "conceptual" such as science, math, music, engineering, etc.
3. "verbal" such as writing, translating, advertising, poetry, etc.
We Aspergers rally around topics and talk about things, not people. Find an interest group in your topic of interest and you will be at home. They will all be "misfits" like yourself.

In the meantime you-all need to train up in third world technology in your area of interest. We will get by on our technical know-how, not our inability to shmooze.

Upvote 0

burck

May 12, 2009
✟7,628.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
thank you for taking the time to respond. i am not looking to "cure" my son. i believe God has a purpose in his autism as all things are in Him, through Him, and for His glory, as the apostle Paul stated. that includes his autism. he has been such a blessing to so many people, as he has taught us a lot about ourselves; his autism "stretches" me, and i have learned much and grown into a better person for it.

i believe my problem has been due, in part, to my myopic outlook; i tend to focus on what is wrong, rather than seeing the good. God said He would never leave me nor forsake me, and that He is working in me that which is well-pleasing to Him. therefore, i know He can use me, and does use me as a vessel for His kingdom.

we really need to take the focus off of ourselves and realize that our lives are to reflect His glory. it is all about Jesus; not about me. all creation glorifies Him, as should my life. it is His story, and we are all a part of it, but like the moon, we are to reflect the light of God to all the world; the moon has no light of its own as it reflects the sun's light.

i will trust in Him, and trust this AS has a purpose...then will i be at peace. isaiah 26:3? states that: You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed upon you. i will pray that God will help me keep my mind stayed upon Him, and not allow things (like the awkward feeling i get when talking w/ others)to distract me or rob me of my peace.

again, thank you...i hope you have a wonderful day and that you will look to Him for all of your needs~

Reactions: gracechick
Upvote 0

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i was wondering if any of you struggle with this...i am so discouraged, in terms of my AS. it runs in my family: my brother has AS and my son has autism.

i am a christian and i cannot understand how asperger's glorifies God. i cannot keep a conversation going w/ anybody, and i, too, do not know when i should say something or when i should not. silence in discourse is utterly awkward, and i cannot make eye contact, if my life depended on it.

i love the Lord, and i know He commands peace to rule in our hearts. He also tells us to love others, and to speak only that which is edifying to the listener. i have no friends, so how am i to love others when all i seem to do is make others feel awkward and uncomfortable when talking w/ me. how can asperger's glorify Him? anybody?

how can a christian w/ AS lead others into the kingdom when people don't feel comfortable talking w/ us? how can i be an instrument for God's glory? i feel so alone, too.

I know in some ways how you feel as I've struggled with the same questions. There has been good coming from AS like being closer to God through this struggle, spending time praying for others instead witnessing verbally, compassion and doing small things as I know the Lord sees all and knows our hearts.

I believe our toddler may at least have ADD, but I see her doing the same small behaviors I remember doing at her age. I pray constantly that she will not know the difficulty of AS and how it strikes at the heart of being human. The many relationships in our lives.

Upvote 0

Timuchin

May 4, 2007
Visit site
✟8,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
thank you for taking the time to respond. i am not looking to "cure" my son. i believe God has a purpose in his autism as all things are in Him, through Him, and for His glory, as the apostle Paul stated. that includes his autism. he has been such a blessing to so many people, as he has taught us a lot about ourselves; his autism "stretches" me, and i have learned much and grown into a better person for it.
There's fellow in Jacksonville Florida where I live that grew up "retarded". After much prayer Ricky Roberts suddenly became "smart." He went to college, got a doctorate, became a pastor and pastors a church here. It's called True Light Ministries (Truelight Ministries). Fortunately his mother didn't just praise God for him just the way he was.

Reactions: gracechick
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.