Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
A laughable observation in light of the constant redefinitions & self contradictions,

...which clearly means that instead of asking for clarification, you should simply assume you know their beliefs better then they do.

rather than the usual haughty put down you were hoping for.

Considering it is the Protestant posters repeating the "haughty put down", as you put it, even though the Catholics are denying it, repeatedly, I kind of doubt it.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
just so you know we're not crazy

What you quoted was in response to an anecdote of a woman who was Roman Catholic, but is no longer. The situation is different for her then it is for those of us who were never Roman Catholics.

(RCs: If I'm wrong, correct me)

Upvote 0

chestertonrules

Dec 17, 2007
Texas
✟11,733.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What you quoted was in response to an anecdote of a woman who was Roman Catholic, but is no longer. The situation is different for her then it is for those of us who were never Roman Catholics.

You are not wrong.

However, even for former Roman Catholics knowledge and understanding are a factor.

It is the willful rejection of an acknowledged truth that leads to separation from God.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Glad to see the difference made.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally Posted by OpenDoor
ok...
so when Trent used the word anathema, did they mean cut off from Christ or excomunicated from the Roman Catholic Church?
I honestly don't know. I don't think it means cut off from the body of christ.
I asked at ewtn to get an answer from one of their experts.

So it may take a few days.

I did find this in their archive of previously asked questions.

Document Title

Anathemas
Question from on 01-01-2008: I understand that anathemas no longer exist, since the 1982 revision of canon law. What happened to people who were under anathema when it was deleted from canon law?Thanks and Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!
Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 01-08-2008: Anathemas (condemnations) were used in the canons issued by the early ecumenical councils of the Church. The council would issue decrees, and then at the end would issue anathemas to those who do the opposite of what they said was to be done.This format for canons did not exist in the 1917 Code of Canon Law or in the current 1983 Code of Canon Law, so it is not an issue.
Sounds like it left them vulnerable to vigilanties & boycotts, otherwise, where's the teeth in it?

Upvote 0

OpenDoor

Faith + Hope + Love
Apr 17, 2007
✟10,786.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

and several posters in the thread (myself included) fall into this category

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This is exactly like the Jehovh Witness treat those leaving their cult, isn't that kind of a telling thing?

Upvote 0
Vladimir Moss describes conciliar anathemas as the time when the Church publicly discerns when heresy has arisen and cut off certain members of the Church. Note that usually the heresy has already been in effect for some time before such official proclamations.

Basically the church declares that you have freely chosen to cut yourself off from the church (meaning you have chosen heresy over the apostolic teachings).

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is exactly like the Jehovh Witness treat those leaving their cult, isn't that kind of a telling thing?
:)
I went to the UT board to check out the JW board and noticed they combined the seperate boards of the JWs and LDSs into one.....:sorry:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7467647/
UT Special Announcement-Restructure coming to UT...

*snip*

The combining of these sub forums into one is also intended to not give favoritism to some unorthodox groups over the others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Powerful motivator--ya can't be saved unless ya join my group 'cause grace flows not direct from God, but through us and He set us up and even though it can't be proven and contradicts what God says, we find mere traces there, but extra biblical stuff more authoritative and now we recognize these things, blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

GigageiTsula

Legend
Oct 8, 2007
✟80,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Powerful motivator--ya can't be saved unless ya join my group 'cause grace flows not direct from God, but through us and He set us up and even though it can't be proven and contradicts what God says, we find mere traces there, but extra biblical stuff more authoritative and now we recognize these things, blah, blah, blah.

That about sums it up.

Upvote 0

chestertonrules

Dec 17, 2007
Texas
✟11,733.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
and several posters in the thread (myself included) fall into this category

You may be the victim of poor catechesis or you may have chosen a path that allows you to ignore the moral teachings of the Church.

There is a big difference. If you are sincerely seeking Jesus then I don't think your salvation is in jeopardy. However, this is not always the case.

For example, many Catholics leave the Church because they want to divorce and remarry. If that is the case, then I think a person is in a dangerous and rebellious position with respect to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.