US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2011
✟9,171.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I ask this question, really in reference to what Dark Lite said in another thread. I am a Protestant (Calvinist), and was told that the Catholic Church sees me as saved, as per the Catholic Catechism:

818 "However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers .... All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church."

819 "Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth" are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements." Christ's Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him, and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."

Now this led me to believe that the Catholic Church sees me as a brother in Christ, although not directly a part of them, and actually, setting myself against them.

I was wondering how these fit in to that idea though.

Council of Trent-
Canons on Justification.

CANON V.-If any one saith, that, since Adam's sin, the free will of man is lost and extinguished; or, that it is a thing with only a name, yea a name without a reality, a figment, in fine, introduced into the Church by Satan; let him be anathema.

CANON IX.-If any one saith, that by faith alone the impious is justified; in such wise as to mean, that nothing else is required to co-operate in order to the obtaining the grace of Justification, and that it is not in any way necessary, that he be prepared and disposed by the movement of his own will; let him be anathema.

CANON XV.-If any one saith, that a man, who is born again and justified, is bound of faith to believe that he is assuredly in the number of the predestinate; let him be anathema.

CANON XVI.-If any one saith, that he will for certain, of an absolute and infallible certainty, have that great gift of perseverance unto the end,-unless he have learned this by special revelation; let him be anathema.

CANON XVII.-If any one saith, that the grace of Justification is only attained to by those who are predestined unto life; but that all others who are called, are called indeed, but receive not grace, as being, by the divine power, predestined unto evil; let him be anathema.

Canon on Sacraments.

CANON I.-If any one saith, that the sacraments of the New Law were not all instituted by Jesus Christ, our Lord; or, that they are more, or less, than seven, to wit, Baptism, Confirmation, the Eucharist, Penance, Extreme Unction, Order, and Matrimony; or even that any one of these seven is not truly and properly a sacrament; let him be anathema.

CANON IV.-If any one saith, that the sacraments of the New Law are not necessary unto salvation, but superfluous; and that, without them, or without the desire thereof, men obtain of God, through faith alone, the grace of justification;-though all (the sacraments) are not indeed necessary for every individual; let him be anathema.

CANON V.-If any one saith, that these sacraments were instituted for the sake of nourishing faith alone; let him be anathema.

CANON VI.-If any one saith, that the sacraments of the New Law do not contain the grace which they signify; or, that they do not confer that grace on those who do not place an obstacle thereunto; as though they were merely outward signs of grace or justice received through faith, and certain marks of the Christian profession, whereby believers are distinguished amongst men from unbelievers; let him be anathema.

CANON VII.-If any one saith, that grace, as far as God's part is concerned, is not given through the said sacraments, always, and to all men, even though they receive them rightly, but (only) sometimes, and to some persons; let him be anathema.

CANON VIII.-If any one saith, that by the said sacraments of the New Law grace is not conferred through the act performed, but that faith alone in the divine promise suffices for the obtaining of grace; let him be anathema.

These are only a few. I didn't want to quote too much. But according to these canons, I, along with basically all other Protestants, are accursed, banned, excommunicated, etc. by the Catholic Church. I am finding it seemingly hard to unite with Catholics as "brothers in Christ" when they have pronounced me as anathema. It seems to me that anyone on this board who is Catholic that tries to befriend a non-Catholic or anyone opposed to Catholic doctrine is in effect acting in hypocrisy, as even their recent Popes have affirmed the Council of Trent, such as Pope John XXIII at Vatican II and Pope Paul VI.

What shall we say then? Am I as a Protestant against the Catholic Church, damned to hell, because of my denial of their teachings? It would certainly seem so.
well you're anathema and we're an Iraqi harlot if Protestant theological history serves me correctly.

also see CCC 838.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
well you're anathema and we're an Iraqi harlot if Protestant theological history serves me correctly.

also see CCC 838.

Being included in an anathema isn't so easy for a Protestant today, especially when the anathema was written 500 years ago.

The trouble with folk quoting from the council of Trent is that they rarely bother to check the historical context and almost never check the current magisterium on the matters that they quote.

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Being included in an anathema isn't so easy for a Protestant today, especially when the anathema was written 500 years ago.

The trouble with folk quoting from the council of Trent is that they rarely bother to check the historical context and almost never check the current magisterium on the matters that they quote.
I thought one first had to belong before they could be booted. If the local Church of prosperity and Cadillac owners club said I wasn't a part of them, why would that concern me. Could it be that you think more of catholicism than some are admitting to?
One minute folks are saying the Romans and Eastern's are in league with satan and the next their asking why it's said they are setting outside. Even baiting them to say their damned. And yet not one Orthodox or Roman has said that nor will they.
Sorry, I'll not bite. You'll have to damn yourself. If I won't damn a Muslim, why do you think I'd do it to one professing my Lord and savior? You know in your heart if you are His.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I thought one first had to belong before they could be booted. If the local Church of prosperity and Cadillac owners club said I wasn't a part of them, why would that concern me. Could it be that you think more of Catholicism than some are admitting to?

One minute folks are saying the Romans and Eastern's are in league with Satan and the next their asking why it's said they are setting outside. Even baiting them to say their damned. And yet not one Orthodox or Roman has said that nor will they.

Sorry, I'll not bite. You'll have to damn yourself. If I won't damn a Muslim, why do you think I'd do it to one professing my Lord and savior? You know in your heart if you are His.

I suppose that ex-catholic-protestants who deliberately left the Catholic church knowing the gravity of their action and doing so without any coercion might be under a self-created anathema. But like I said, it isn't easy for a Protestant today to fall under an anathema written 500 years ago.

It is amusing how hard some Protestants try to get themselves included in the Trent anathemas ... quite amusing.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I suppose that ex-catholic-protestants who deliberately left the Catholic church knowing the gravity of their action and doing so without any coercion might be under a self-created anathema. But like I said, it isn't easy for a Protestant today to fall under an anathema written 500 years ago.

It is amusing how hard some Protestants try to get themselves included in the Trent anathemas ... quite amusing.
Almost like they want to be included.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by MoreCoffee It is amusing how hard some Protestants try to get themselves included in the Trent anathemas ... quite amusing.
Almost like they want to be included.
Show me the way :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Jesusfreak5000 I ask this question, really in reference to what Dark Lite said in another thread. I am a Protestant (Calvinist), and was told that the Catholic Church sees me as saved, as per the Catholic Catechism:

also see CCC 838.
:D

CCC 838
"The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."
Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."
With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The passage in James' letter says if you judge with mercy you will be judged with mercy . and if you judge others without mercy you will be judged without mercy. remember the parable of the unmerciful debtor . that seems to key in the most with the original question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The passage in James' letter says if you judge with mercy you will be judged with mercy . and if you judge others without mercy you will be judged without mercy. remember the parable of the unmerciful debtor . that seems to key in the most with the original question.
Good post!

Btw, love this line in yer siggy :D

The ignore list is a good feature when people cease being civil . but telling people they're on ignore counts as flaming so what to do?

Reactions: Eseven
Upvote 0