If you are a Christian, (this is a question for Christians only), do you think evolution occurs?

• Yes, evolution occurs.

• No, evolution does not occur.

• I'm not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
A robotic arm is very sophisticated, not simple at all.

but this is my point. any motion system that can move a creature is complex.

Why would something have to be "added" rather than simply modified for the Venus fly trap to shut its trap?

can you show me how you as intelligent designer make such a system by small steps? say that you need to build a system that can mimmic the flytrap. how you will do that stepwise?

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
can you show me how you as intelligent designer make such a system by small steps? say that you need to build a system that can mimmic the flytrap. how you will do that stepwise?

The Wikipedia page on Venus fly traps offers a nice sequence, under "Proposed evolutionary history":

Venus flytrap - Wikipedia

• Larger insects usually walk over the plant, instead of flying to it,[33] and are more likely to break free from sticky glands alone. Therefore, a plant with wider leaves, like Drosera falconeri,[28] must have adapted to move the trap and its stalks in directions that maximized its chance of capturing and retaining such prey—in this particular case, longitudinally. Once adequately "wrapped", escape would be more difficult.[33]
  • Evolutionary pressure then selected for plants with shorter response time, in a manner similar to Drosera burmannii or Drosera glanduligera. The faster the closing, the less reliant on the flypaper model the plant would be.
  • As the trap became more and more active, the energy required to "wrap" the prey increased. Plants that could somehow differentiate between actual insects and random detritus/rain droplets would have an advantage, thus explaining the specialization of inner tentacles into trigger hairs.
  • Ultimately, as the plant relied more on closing around the insect rather than gluing them to the leaf surface, the tentacles so evident in Drosera would lose their original function altogether, becoming the "teeth" and trigger hairs—an example of natural selection utilizing pre-existing structures for new functions.
  • Completing the transition, the plant eventually developed the depressed digestive glands found inside the trap, rather than using the dews in the stalks, further differentiating it from genus Drosera.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
but this is my point. any motion system that can move a creature is complex.
Is a plant a creature? Is a rubber-band, an axis and a pair of wheels "complex"?
can you show me how you as intelligent designer make such a system by small steps?
No, but perhaps by trial and error...

say that you need to build a system that can mimmic the flytrap. how you will do that stepwise?
How would I know? See, you're starting with the end-result and trying to design something to get there, while nature evolves without a goal.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
The Wikipedia page on Venus fly traps offers a nice sequence, under "Proposed evolutionary history":
Therefore, a plant with wider leaves, like Drosera falconeri,[28] must have adapted to move the trap

but this is the point i talked about. how you can add this moving part by small steps? any moving part is too complex to evolve.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
See, you're starting with the end-result and trying to design something to get there, while nature evolves without a goal.

if we as intelligent designers cant do that what make us to think that a natural process can? its just a belief.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
but this is the point i talked about. how you can add this moving part by small steps? any moving part is too complex to evolve.
Says one who does not understand how evolution works.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
if we as intelligent designers cant do that what make us to think that a natural process can? its just a belief.
First, I'm not a designer of biologic systems - I wouldn't know how to design an amoeba, but that is not evidence that amoebas are designed. Second, you don't seem to have grasped the idea that nature doesn't have a goal in mind with evolution - you get what you get. It's the opposite of design, where you start with the end product and work towards it.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single

It's already made up of a huge number of moving parts called "cells". It's just a matter of getting the cells to get organized, get specialized, and perform certain functions.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
It's already made up of a huge number of moving parts called "cells". It's just a matter of getting the cells to get organized, get specialized, and perform certain functions.
its not a simple thing to do. even a single organ can be coded by many genes. so its no that simple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums