• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

As a Christian, how many of you believe in evolution?

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by DecstarG, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Yes, evolution occurs.

2. No, evolution does not occur.

3. I'm not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DecstarG

DecstarG We know that we know nothing.

+17
    Australia
    Atheist
    Private
    I am curious if any Christians believe that evolution occurs (take careful note of the phrase, "evolution occurs" it means if it has happened or will happen, regardless of whether or not humans evolved from other primates). Please take the time to answer, thanks for any responses.

(For full disclosure I am atheist)

** Convenient definition of evolution for those unsure: Evolution is changes in a life form due to mutations in their genetic code, leading to the success or failure (or neither) of the mutation, leading to the mutated creature having more success mating, therefore passing on the improved gene or no success, leading to the gene not being passed on. Or to put it simply, changes in a life form over time. **

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,179
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    If we define evolution as changes in life forms over time, yes, I believe in evolution.

3. ml5363

ml5363 Active Member

+206
    Christian
    Married
    I do think things can change and modify over time...however I do no believe we evolve from a little amoba creature...

Things can evolve such as people are taller or shorter these days...or like fish in a cave nearby have evolved and are blind because they are in darkness now...etc

4. morse86

morse86 Junior Member

+564
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    Any one that objectively examines the evidence and the history, can tell evolution is garbage.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  5. DecstarG

+17
    Australia
    Atheist
    Private
    I would define evolution as changes in a life form due to mutations in their genetic code, leading to the success or failure (or neither) of the mutation, leading to the mutated creature having more success mating, therefore passing on the improved gene or no success, leading to the gene not being passed on. Or to put it simply, yes, changes in a life form over time.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 In a Kingdom by the Sea. Staff Member Administrator Supporter CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team

+5,908
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    I do believe evolution occurs and has occurred in different life forms. I'm still not convinced humans came from apes, but animals and other matter clearly have evolved over time, usually to adapt to change so they can survive.

7. DecstarG

+17
    Australia
    Atheist
    Private
    Oh, I forgot to mention in my previous post, evolution and creation are not mutually exclusive, but only if you are willing to change the ~5000 years ago creation date to a couple billion years. (Just to clarify).

8. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Pilgrim

+3,005
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    Yeah, evolution can mean many things, actually.

I do believe in adaptation, the change that can occur in a species of an animal due to their long residence in a certain environment or climate. This answers the question how all the animals could fit in the Ark, it was before adaptation took place when there may have been just one kind of species of each animal. The same goes for the way different people look different in different regions on earth.

I don't believe in Human Evolution, that all of life on earth came from an single cell that developed over millions of years, and that we share a common ancestor with all animals, especially with the modern ape.

9. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+619
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Many christians are revolted by my stand on this. But if God is indeed the one and only Self-existent, Omnipotent, Creator of everything else, he can do whatever he wants and make it look however he wants and take as long as he wants and make it happen within 6000 years, and not be lying. It maybe took 14 billion --what do I know?

Our own resident Geniuses --Einstein, Hawking and so on-- say time is relative, as also, therefore, is space. If it was expanding rapidly, say, from our point of view now, beginning 14 billion years ago, why would it look any different if from this place we have been the last 6000 years or so, it only took a day?

We do our computations, and then someone says, but......

As my dad was known to say, "How old was Adam when God made him"?

If God is God, he can do anything he wants, and doesn't owe us an explanation. That doesn't mean he doesn't delight in watching us figure things out, and maybe even give a nudge now and then in the right direction, or a hand on the head to make us realize maybe he did do it after all.

10. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+3,137
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The question as you have framed it is too vague, and different people will give different responses depending on how they interpret it. I made a poll a while ago that gave more detailed options, but I can't find it now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. DecstarG

+17
    Australia
    Atheist
    Private
    I clarified the appropriate definition of evolution to use in your answer in another post. Here is the quote:
    To clarify for you, do you think that evolution occurs, or does it not. I don't see how it is too vague. I clarified the OP for any others though.

12. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,344
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I've never heard of evolution, micro or macro, being defined by more success in mating. Please give an example.

13. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+2,239
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    I assume that by "changes in a life form", you mean changes in a population through successive generations, not changes in a single individual. Yes?

14. DreamerOfTheHeart

DreamerOfTheHeart I Am What I Am

+387
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Read 'origin of the species' when I was 13. Read all of Dawkins books, to get their view on matters, a few years ago.

Ultimately, what you are talking about is the ancient Babylonian create myth: humans were created by the primordial forces of chaos.

People often treat "science" as if it is inerrant. They believe there is no flaw in the scientific method, nor in the concept of a 'consensus of experts'.

These beliefs, are demonstrably flawed.

As for the scientific method, unfortunately, it relies on a concept of objective observation. Objective observation can be... not so objective.

And it does not have a way of handling subjectivity as influencing results, as as seen on the quantum level, or seen in cognitive behavioral sciences.

Not even mentioning the fact, that creation its' self might present false evidence to people, because they are unwilling to believe God.

That is, 'reality' is not what people think it is.

We are told, in the end, God will send the world a great lie. Because they refuse to believe. What we have these days is one great lie, right here. Though, of course, the world is, and has been, full of many great lies.

15. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+7,740
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    I know of nobody who believes this.

16. SinoBen

SinoBen Active Member

+100
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    I wonder if you are conflating theories of evolution with natural selection.

But using a different albeit standard definition if it can be called that:
    Macro evolution - nah.... highly sceptical about that
    Micro evolution - sure.... the changes are "horizontal" not "vertical" so still just variation of the same species.

17. DecstarG

+17
    Australia
    Atheist
    Private
    I'm going to respond to four comments, one from @DreamerOfTheHeart another from @PloverWing and one from @Hank77 finally one from @SinoBen.

I will start with @PloverWing, yes.

I will then move onto @Hank77, I apologise, I assumed that everyone would get the implied subtext of that, but I now realise I was too general. I meant the whole process of those with non-beneficial mutations dying before they mate and those with beneficial mutations being more likely to mate. Sorry for the confusion.

Next @SinoBen (and partially @Hank77 because they made the same mistake), macro and micro evolution are NOT seperate theories. They are the same thing just on different timescales, please just say I think evolution exists on a short timescale.

Finally @DreamerOfTheHeart,
    What? Quantum physics can be predicted accurately with statistics, P(up)=sin(theta)^2 is the formula for predicting the chance of the direction of the spin on a quantum particle being up. Everything is predictable. Even cognitive behaviour is likely predictable because studies show that decisions are likely made in our brain before we know it and then we are given the illusion of deciding to do it.

In addition to that, your assertion that creation is certain to exist, and as such evolution can not, is complete garbage. Creation and evolution are not mutually exclusive, as I made crystal clear in a previous post. Even if the Earth is 5000 years old and created by a god, than evolution will still occur regardless. I made the question crystal clear, and it appears that you believe that it doesn't occur despite the insurmountable evidence against you. Please reconsider your response and then reply to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+5,578
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    God planned and executes the orbit of each electron in the Cosmos.
    It all looks "natural" to us.

19. DecstarG

+17
    Australia
    Atheist
    Private
    So we don't have free will? I do believe that the bible explicitly states that God gave humans free will...

Galatians 5:13

20. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,344
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I don't think your premise is necessarily true. Take Darwin's finches for example, do you think your premise would have been true in this case?

No they are not separate theories but they are different even though the same mechanisms apply.

Microevolution is simply a change in gene frequency within a population. Evolution at this scale can be observed over short periods of time — for example, between one generation and the next, the frequency of a gene for pesticide resistance in a population of crop pests increases.
    Macroevolution encompasses the grandest trends and transformations in evolution, such as the origin of mammals and the radiation of flowering plants.
    What is macroevolution?