As a Christian: do you believe we exist beyond the death of our physical body?

Do believe we exist beyond death?

• No, we go to the grave until resurrection

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Yes, we enter another plane of existence to await resurrection

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Yes, after physical death we're judged and sent to either heaven or hell

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Yes, upon dying we are translated 'immediately' to the resurrection

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm confused with the question.
as christians believing in eternal life in heaven. How can we not believe in life after death. Maybe ask which do you believe happens to you after death.
The question is: "As a Christian: do you believe we exist beyond the death of our physical body"

I should have said after perhaps.. but I thought it was self-explanatory. I don't indicate the new earth. I'm mainly talking about a realm of existence before resurrection.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The question is: "As a Christian: do you believe we exist beyond the death of our physical body"

I should have said after perhaps.. but I thought it was self-explanatory. I don't indicate the new earth. I'm mainly talking about a realm of existence before resurrection.
I guess i don't understand. We have to exist beyond death of our bodies or we'd never make it to heaven . Unless our soul dies with our bodies

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess i don't understand. We have to exist beyond death of our bodies or we'd never make it to heaven . Unless our soul dies with our bodies
Then your answer to the poll should be 1 of 2 choices:

"Yes, we enter another plane of existence to await resurrection"

Or,

"Yes, after physical death we're judged and sent to either heaven or hell"

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, we are, for our thoughts in how we think, which often translates in how we act, is who we are.
OK... interesting angle. What about the thoughts inserted by the enemy that people believe are their own and results in a false identity?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
They are absent from this MORTAL flesh body, which is what the text is referring to. Get me?

But I admit I could be wrong. As with all such things, the fat lady ain't sung yet, but I wish she'd hurry up.

I understand, but as I read it the Apostle is saying that while we are presently at home in the body we are away from the Lord, and so when away from the body we shall be present with the Lord. But that away from the body/present with the Lord is still looking forward to a completeness that is to come when Christ returns. Away from the body/present with the Lord isn't the final state, but a state of waiting until all is completed.

We look forward to that future dwelling, the resurrection of the body; but even now as we groan and suffer in this present mortal condition we can see it would be preferable to not suffer and be with the Lord apart from the body.

I think, taken on its own, one could read the passage in 2 Corinthians 5 to indicate the receiving of the resurrection body while apart from this one; but taken with the whole of the biblical material the Apostle is looking forward to resurrection while also speaking of an awayness from the body, an emigration from the body, away from our home and present with the Lord. A state of nakedness, as it were, but one of respite from the grief, sufferings, and trials of this mortal life. So that the time between bodily death and bodily resurrection is a time of rest, of respite, to be with the Lord in our waiting for what is to come.

The word Paul uses when he says "away" from the body is ἐκδημῆσαι (ekdomesai), out-of-dwelling. Our bodies are our home, we are ἐνδημοῦντες (endemountes) at home in our bodies, to be bodied is how we are supposed to be (God created us body-and-soul, united together); and so to be ekdomeo, out-from-our-home isn't how things should be (bodily death is a disruption of God's purposes for creation). But, nevertheless, to be ekdomeo from our bodies is preferable if we are endomeo with the Lord. That makes, because of the present mortality and problems of this sin-and-death soaked reality, apart from the body preferable even though God's intended purpose is for us to be enhoused bodily. Which God will do, when all things are made perfect and complete on the Last Day.

For, even now, we have our citizenship in heaven where Christ reigns, from where He will come and will exchange our present lowly bodies of death with a glorified body like His own (Philippians 3:21). This flesh will be raised up, this flesh though mortal, perishable, soaked with sin an death and dishonor will be transformed; it is presently soulish (psuchekos) but will be made Spiritual (pneumatikos); for the body will be quickened by the power of the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:11).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Apostle Paul seems to be speaking of an immediate translation of his spirit to Christ's presence. Was his experience unique, even as his life was, being he was already one with Christ Gal 2:20, 2Co 4:10-11?

[Phl 1:20-23 NIV] I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;

[2Co 5:8 NIV] We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and the dead in Christ will rise first....

1 Thess 4:13 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen [b]asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and the dead in Christ will rise first....

1 Thess 4:13 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen [b]asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.
I'm not talking about resurrection, I'm talking about the possible (or impossible) existence between physical death and resurrection, as per your personal Christian view.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm talking about the possible (or impossible) existence between physical death and resurrection,
What would be the purpose? Too late to change. Why spend thousands of years for many on second death row?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not talking about resurrection, I'm talking about the possible (or impossible) existence between physical death and resurrection, as per your personal Christian view.
Scripture describes the time between physical death and resurrection as being asleep

That is why I quoted the verses that say so.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scripture describes the time between physical death and resurrection as being asleep

That is why I quoted the verses that say so.
OK, so your answer to the poll would be: "No, we go to the grave until resurrection". Thanks for participating.

Upvote 0

Tranquil Bondservant

Nothing without Elohim
Oct 11, 2022
Somewhere
✟211.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was raised SDA and my denomination teaches soul sleep and it's often coupled with a denial of the immortal soul due to conditional immortality/annihilationism. While I believe the latter to be true regarding Gehenna and while I also hold to the denial of the immortal soul (1 Timothy 6:16), I do deny the doctrine of soul sleep based on what we see in scripture and also tangentially because of NDE evidence. I've been taking notes on this for a while and I shared some (not all) on a thread about the doctrine. I think it's important that we get this right as it impacts on how we minister to those who are grieving.

If you're interested in the discussion or the notes here is the post and the second post defending the use of 1 Samuel 28:3-20:
Notes regarding Soul Sleep
Defense of the passage in Samuel

I love my brother in Christ Keras and he does excellent work, so if he happens to be reading this please Keras don't think I'm doing it to dog pile on. We disagree and that's ok.

God bless :heart:.

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums