• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The CF Faith Groups List has been updated. The Statement of Faith has also been updated (section on unorthodox Christian theology only). Please review both of these updates. If you would like to request a different faith group, please open a support ticket.

Arkansas executes Ledell Lee in first death penalty use in 12 years

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Tallguy88, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Staff Member Administrator Supporter

+7,439
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Arkansas has executed Ledell Lee in the US state's first use of the death penalty in 12 years.

It came after the US Supreme Court rejected a challenge arguing Arkansas was unfairly rushing several executions before its supply of a lethal injection drug expires at the end of April.

He had been on death row for more than 20 years after he was convicted of beating Debra Reese to death with a tyre thumper in 1993.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39662139

2. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Staff Member Administrator Supporter

+7,439
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    I think "tyre" might be a British misspelling of "tire".

3. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+8,892
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    I am personally not big on capital punishment, but it is the law in some states and the supreme court has upheld the legality of capital punishment.

4. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+3,666
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    UK-Labour
    Or is it an american misspelling?

5. dgiharris

dgiharris Newbie

+2,921
    Baptist
    My biggest fear with Capital punishment cases is that our justice system isn't very good if you don't have a lot of money to pay for a good lawyer.

Public defender spends an average of 9 minutes on a case.

Even when they knuckle down and take your case, they end up spending less than 10% of the time that a hired defense attorney would spend on your case.

Beyond that, there is our whole system. Police plant evidence all the time when they "believe" that you are guilty. And then there is circumstantial evidence. If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Add all that up, and it leads to an uncomfortable amount of innocent people being convicted of crimes. Granted, I have no hard numbers for what percentage of death row inmates are innocent.

6. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+8,892
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Main reason I am not for capital punishment.

7. Tallguy88

+7,439
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    In my state (the one in question) the public defenders in death penalty cases tend to be better than private attornies, since the public defenders have a much greater amount of experience with the cases. 99% of private criminal attornies will never argue a death penalty case.

8. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+8,892
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    That may be, but it does take a lot of money in our system to put up a robust defense. The hiring of experts for testimony and the research and investigation that has to be done, is typically not within the abilities of a public defenders office.

9. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+9,982
    Agnostic
    Single
    so long as due process is followed... Personally, I think we need a better reason to take shortcuts around it then "we gotta do this quick before our poison passes its expiration date!"

10. Nithavela

Nithavela *Teleports behind you*

+5,990
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Now you're just being sillie.

11. Tallguy88

+7,439
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
  12. Nithavela

+5,990
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Wuuuuh! Death! Death! Death! Yeah!

13. pat34lee

pat34lee Messianic

+2,109
    Messianic
    Single
    Death is not a cause for celebration. Justice served is the cause.

14. Nithavela

+5,990
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    More cause for partying if you celebrate death. Just like that old Rick Springfield song.

15. TLK Valentine

+9,982
    Agnostic
    Single
    Perhaps -- but remember what the reason was for the big hurry.

16. Tallguy88

+7,439
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Please don't post mocking nonsense. No one here is celebrating these men's deaths.

17. Nithavela

+5,990
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    I am. Party at my house, bring your own bottle.

18. Tallguy88

+7,439
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Do it your own thread then. It's distasteful.

19. TLK Valentine

+9,982
    Agnostic
    Single
    If this is not an event to be celebrated, why the hurry to do it?

20. Paradoxum

Paradoxum Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!

+610
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    I think people have a right to life, and you should only kill if you have to. The death penalty is never needed because they can be locked up for life is necessary.