Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I had a mini-panic attack just looking at that. Yes- I'm deathly afraid of heights.
There was this fellow who worked on one of those construction cranes in which the operator has to climb up a narrow ladder to get inside to manage the controls. He had done that for years and then for some reason one fine day he had a panic attack and froze.

I had one myself scaling up a ladder in order to gain access to a rooftop where I was supposed to apply blacktop which I hauled up via a rope. I needed the money and had to literally force myself to continue the climb.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yours is the wise and natural reaction. Unfortunately, some people have blind faith in such transparent barriers. Fopr example, there was this fellow who always tried to impress his female clients with his masculine bravado by hurling himself full force against a bullet proof Plexiglas window in his high-rise office. Needless to say he had great faith in the strength of the barrier. Unfortunately, faith wasn't enough to prevent it from eventually giving way to the horror of the women who were watching. The incident is described in the TV series A Thousand Ways to Die.

Here is an excerpt from an article about it:

I watched many episodes of that show, which included that episode. I don't understand that temptation.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

images

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I watched many episodes of that show, which included that episode. I don't understand that temptation.
To show off in some manner or form is a temptation common to us human males when in the presence of human females. In short he wanted female admiration for being fearless.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
To show off in some manner or form is a temptation common to us human males when in the presence of human females. In short he wanted female admiration for being fearless.

I wonder how long after breaking through the glass before that "fearlessness" faded.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think my biggest fear of the pool is the idea that if it breaks at all the water would suck everyone out anyway.
I hadn't thought of that.

Now I can't forget it! o_O

Reactions: Cute Tink
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wonder how long after breaking through the glass before that "fearlessness" faded.
During the explanation on the show A 1000 Ways to Die, the narrator said that the height he fell from provided him enough time during the descent to realize exactly what had just happened and what was about to happen before striking the ground. Exactly how much time elapsed after the initial confusion for him to come to that full realization and feel fear I don't know.

BTW
I imagine that there must have also been a brief tinge of deep embarrassment as well since the ladies were watching.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What's crazy is the rooftop I was one is one of those tiny buildings you see near the ground in the video. I want to do the slide so bad but part of me thinks it looks kind of boring.

Not that I'm trying to sound like an internet tough guy or anything.
It does seem a bit too brief to pay whatever it is they are charging.
However, bad things can happen during brief intervals of that kind. Notice how close to the roof ledge they are landing.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
During the explanation on the show A 1000 Ways to Die, the narrator said that the height he fell from provided him enough time during the descent to realize exactly what had just happened and what was about to happen before striking the ground. Exactly how much time elapsed after the initial confusion for him to come to that full realization and feel fear I don't know.

BTW
I imagine that there must have also been a brief tinge of deep embarrassment as well since the ladies were watching.

Yeah probably. Then again, I don't really understand the inner workings of a person who would throw themselves against a pane of glass anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yeah probably. Then again, I don't really understand the inner workings of a person who would throw themselves against a pane of glass anyway.
We human males tend to become irrational in such weird ways when in the presence of a human female we admire.

• Useful
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It does seem a bit too brief to pay whatever it is they are charging.
However, bad things can happen during brief intervals of that kind. Notice how close to the roof ledge they are landing.
It's like 30 bucks to go up to the observation decks outside and go down the slide for like 5 seconds or however long it is to slide down it. I'm sure it's cool and it might be worth it to go once, but if it's thrills you're looking for, it'd be better to save up a bit more and just go to Six Flags.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's like 30 bucks to go up to the observation decks outside and go down the slide for like 5 seconds or however long it is to slide down it. I'm sure it's cool and it might be worth it to go once, but if it's thrills you're looking for, it'd be better to save up a bit more and just go to Six Flags.
Going up to the Empire State building back in the early sixties was three dollars per person. Of course those were dollars that had far more value than the ones we have now. In any case, my father couldn't believe how much they were charging. So he asked:

"Three dollars for the four of us?"

The fellow shot back:

"No sir! Three dollars each person?""

"Three dollars inch?"

"Yeah each!"

"Three dollars inch is too much!"

Big joke ensued among us about his mispronunciation.

BTW 30 bucks for that short ride is highway robbery!

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Let me get this straight: you're saying you don't understand being male? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't think I could go anywhere near anything with a glass bottom at the heights involved. A glass wall might be okay.

.I think my biggest fear of the pool is the idea that if it breaks at all the water would suck everyone out anyway

Plus, water is heavy! A whole pool of it would weigh quite a bit. I'd hate to put myself inside of it while it's hanging out there on the side of the building.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Going up to the Empire State building back in the early sixties was three dollars per person. Of course those were dollars that had far more value than the ones we have now. In any case, my father couldn't believe how much they were charging. So he asked:

"Three dollars for the four of us?"

The fellow shot back:

"No sir! Three dollars each person?""

"Three dollars inch?"

"Yeah each!"

"Three dollars inch is too much!"

Big joke ensued among us about his mispronunciation.

BTW 30 bucks for that short ride is highway robbery!

Three dollars in 1960 is now $24.64, per this website, and $20.40 -- so in that range depending on the exact year you went. Regardless, it would appear that the $30 for the observation deck and slide is similar, particularly since the current price for the Empire State Building observation deck is $34 for the main deck, and $54 for the top deck.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Three dollars in 1960 is now $24.64, per this website, and $20.40 -- so in that range depending on the exact year you went. Regardless, it would appear that the $30 for the observation deck and slide is similar, particularly since the current price for the Empire State Building observation deck is $34 for the main deck, and $54 for the top deck.
So at $24.64 that would have been a total of $98.56. No wonder my father backed away. He was earning only approx. $86.00 per week as a factory worker.

Upvote 0