Sunday Akinbowale

Dec 6, 2016
United States
✟15,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“I think the person who takes a job in order to live—that is to say, for the money—has turned himself into a slave.”—Joseph Campbell.

Many people have become slaves to their jobs, and they are in no way living for their true destiny and purpose in life; people are struggling hard to make ends meet. Some people even have to get more than 2 jobs and work multiple shifts at their places of work just to have enough to be able to live the dream life that is expected by the society, in addition to having enough to give when it is time to give offerings in the church. Despite all these struggles (paying children’s school fees and settling all the monthly bills that come knocking at the door every month) that people are facing in their daily lives, the approach of some church leaders has not been to direct people and teach them how to have true fulfilment in life by living for their purpose rather than mortgaging away their destinies at different jobs not related to their callings in life.

Just as Joseph Campbell said in the quote above, if the reason you go out in the morning and come back at night, spending the substantial portion of your day on your job is majorly to make a living, which means to earn money for daily living, then you have turned yourself into a slave. If by any means you think Joseph may be wrong, let me ask you this: Does a slave do what he really loves to do? You should be sure the answer is no; a slave knows that the only thing he has to perform is whatever his master says. And in case you are not sure what a master means, a master is the person that tells you what you must do, and you have no choice of disobeying.

Simply put, your master is the reason behind the things you do; a slave will not do anything if his master does not instruct or compel him to do it. Now, what do you think is the master in your life? If not the master of your entire life, who is the master of your 8 hours or more on a daily basis? Whenever you realize the main reason you do what you do, then you have figured out who your master is.

Little wonder Jesus said no one can serve two masters; it is either he is devoted to one or he despises the other. It simply means the person or the object you decide to yield yourself to in order to obey what is said or planned or instructed is your master.

Can we say that you choose to despise God by not living for His purpose and plans for your life and instead you choose to live for the instructions that come from the needs of your daily upkeep and things you really want to buy with money? If God is the master of your life, won’t you make sure He is the reason behind all you do? Won’t you ensure that His purpose for your life is the only reason why you want to remain on this earth because you have no other master?

Look within your heart – is it truly God you are trying to serve when you prepare your resume to go get a job in a reputable company or when you are trying to switch jobs for better pay? God has a purpose in heart when He created you; is it God’s purpose you are trying to fulfill while working at your job assignment? I am not asking you to resign your job; I am just saying you should find out the reason why you are doing what you do. Your answer to the previous two questions will make it clear to you who your master is. When you are serving the purpose of God, then God is your master. But when you are serving the purpose fashioned for you by the lust of your eyes, flesh and the stereotypes of the society, then you should know that mammon is probably your master.

So that you can have a clearer understanding of what I am talking about. Let me share with you the story of Eric:

To be continued...

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess I'm certainly not a slave by that standard. I have this gut feeling that if everyone would just say "Enough; let's just depend on God from now on" we'd all wake up the next day in paradise. And while everyone was standing around in open-mouthed surprise, I'd be standing in the field motioning at the paradise with waving arms saying "See?!"

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
O
“I think the person who takes a job in order to live—that is to say, for the money—has turned himself into a slave.”—Joseph Campbell.

Many people have become slaves to their jobs, and they are in no way living for their true destiny and purpose in life; people are struggling hard to make ends meet. Some people even have to get more than 2 jobs and work multiple shifts at their places of work just to have enough to be able to live the dream life that is expected by the society, in addition to having enough to give when it is time to give offerings in the church. Despite all these struggles (paying children’s school fees and settling all the monthly bills that come knocking at the door every month) that people are facing in their daily lives, the approach of some church leaders has not been to direct people and teach them how to have true fulfilment in life by living for their purpose rather than mortgaging away their destinies at different jobs not related to their callings in life.

Just as Joseph Campbell said in the quote above, if the reason you go out in the morning and come back at night, spending the substantial portion of your day on your job is majorly to make a living, which means to earn money for daily living, then you have turned yourself into a slave. If by any means you think Joseph may be wrong, let me ask you this: Does a slave do what he really loves to do? You should be sure the answer is no; a slave knows that the only thing he has to perform is whatever his master says. And in case you are not sure what a master means, a master is the person that tells you what you must do, and you have no choice of disobeying.

Simply put, your master is the reason behind the things you do; a slave will not do anything if his master does not instruct or compel him to do it. Now, what do you think is the master in your life? If not the master of your entire life, who is the master of your 8 hours or more on a daily basis? Whenever you realize the main reason you do what you do, then you have figured out who your master is.

Little wonder Jesus said no one can serve two masters; it is either he is devoted to one or he despises the other. It simply means the person or the object you decide to yield yourself to in order to obey what is said or planned or instructed is your master.

Can we say that you choose to despise God by not living for His purpose and plans for your life and instead you choose to live for the instructions that come from the needs of your daily upkeep and things you really want to buy with money? If God is the master of your life, won’t you make sure He is the reason behind all you do? Won’t you ensure that His purpose for your life is the only reason why you want to remain on this earth because you have no other master?

Look within your heart – is it truly God you are trying to serve when you prepare your resume to go get a job in a reputable company or when you are trying to switch jobs for better pay? God has a purpose in heart when He created you; is it God’s purpose you are trying to fulfill while working at your job assignment? I am not asking you to resign your job; I am just saying you should find out the reason why you are doing what you do. Your answer to the previous two questions will make it clear to you who your master is. When you are serving the purpose of God, then God is your master. But when you are serving the purpose fashioned for you by the lust of your eyes, flesh and the stereotypes of the society, then you should know that mammon is probably your master.

So that you can have a clearer understanding of what I am talking about. Let me share with you the story of Eric:

To be continued...
Who is Eric?

Upvote 0