HisInstructionsAreOurs,Ou rObstructionsAreHis
Sep 26, 2006
NE PA
✟17,057.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
"Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety."

Notwithstanding suggests a hindrance, like "in spite of the fact." So, whats the fact? Women give birth, and sometimes they cannot be with their men in worship, because of childbearing (to stay in the context of that chapter)... BUT if they "CONTINUE in faith and charity and holiness with sobritety," its all good.

Thats how I understand from that verse, at least.

Upvote 0

ThePilgrim

Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
✟10,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
"Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety."

Notwithstanding suggests a hindrance, like "in spite of the fact." So, whats the fact? Women give birth, and sometimes they cannot be with their men in worship, because of childbearing (to stay in the context of that chapter)... BUT if they "CONTINUE in faith and charity and holiness with sobritety," its all good.

Thats how I understand from that verse, at least.
Actually, that doesn't fit with the wording of the verse. It doesn't say, "Notwithstanding her childbearing, she shall be saved."

Grace and peace,
John

Upvote 0

KJVisTruth

Sep 26, 2006
NE PA
✟17,057.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, that doesn't fit with the wording of the verse. It doesn't say, "Notwithstanding her childbearing, she shall be saved."

Grace and peace,
John
Not in the way of salvation, no. Save is "set aside." Women are set aside to give birth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KJVisTruth

Sep 26, 2006
NE PA
✟17,057.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Then only women who ". . . continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety" are permitted to have children? Permitted by whom?

The Bible verse is clear. You one doesn't like it then question somethinge else, not the plain meaning of the verse. <G>
Permission? *shrug*

Are you familiar with 1 Timothy, chapter 2? Or better yet, that particular book?

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Let's look at the at a little more it:
NKJV
Men and Women in the Church

8 I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; 9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. 11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

She is Eve when put into context.

Eve will be saved in childbearing refering to the Incarnation.

"they" is more interesting to me.

Reactions: joyfulthanks
Upvote 0

KJVisTruth

Sep 26, 2006
NE PA
✟17,057.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Its not Eve. She was mentioned because her sin was used as an example, by this Paul showed that women shouldnt interfere with their men in worship... "learn in silence, not to teach nor usurp authority over the man."

Before someone asks about not teaching... thats "over the man," her husband, in spiritual matters.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think maybe these two passages work in concert:

1 Timothy 2:14-15
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing,

Genesis 3:16
16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Reactions: KJVisTruth
Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Let's look at the at a little more it:
NKJV
Men and Women in the Church

8 I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; 9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. 11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

She is Eve when put into context.

Eve will be saved in childbearing refering to the Incarnation.

"they" is more interesting to me.

:thumbsup:

and Mary... the new Eve. Alas I see the Eve/Mary connection... agenda

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
P

PaulAckermann

Not in the way of salvation, no. Save is "set aside." Women are set aside to give birth.

The Greek word (zoe) is "to be saved" not "set aside". It is the same word used in Ephesian 2:8, 9, where it says "By grace are you saved...". Are we saved by grace or just set aside?

Also, the Greek for "through" (dia) does not connote goal or purpose. It connotes "by means of". If Paul had meant that the women are set aside in order to give birth, he could have use the Greek word eis, which would connote goal or purpose.

So it seems to me, by letting this verse to speak for itself without any preconceived theology, that women are saved (Eph 2:8,9 type of being saved) by the means of childbearing along with having faith, love, and self-control.

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hmmm. I didn't think about that! ;)

I was just curious because of some of your past threads...great blessings to you as you desire to draw closer to our lord Jesus..pax..Kim

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Its not Eve. She was mentioned because her sin was used as an example, by this Paul showed that women shouldnt interfere with their men in worship... "learn in silence, not to teach nor usurp authority over the man."

Before someone asks about not teaching... thats "over the man," her husband, in spiritual matters.
Then who is it? The she used here is singular - in contrast to the "they" used in the second part of the sentence.

Upvote 0

LightDancer

Jesus, I'll never let go of you...
Jan 15, 2007
✟8,402.00
But women will be saved through childbearing - if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.
1 Tim 2:15

What does this mean?

No, we are saved by our confession that Jesus is the Christ, among other things, which I hope you know of the things I speak. However, this is somewhat of a salvation issue and belongs in Soteriology.

Hopefully, we won't have another "myth" floating around.

If "women" were saved through childbearing, what would happen to young women who die before giving birth?

Please look to this verse:

"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, bond nor free, male nor female... we are all ONE in Christ Jesus."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.