Are/Were You Fine with 2nd Hand?

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand the reasoning against having second hand mattresses and carseats for baby – but were you happy to accept or buy second-hand gear?

Most people I know seem to be turning their nose up at hand-me-downs from family and friends, and wouldn't dream about using an opportunity shop (Salvos, for example) to purchase things like clothes or furniture – whereas I think I could save a lot of money and could do really well with it – so long as the safety was still okay, and I washed everything thoroughly (which I'd do with brand new clothes anyway).

What are your feelings on second hand and hand-me-downs?

Sasch

richkim7

Apr 25, 2006
✟7,744.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sascha Fitzpatrick said:
I understand the reasoning against having second hand mattresses and carseats for baby – but were you happy to accept or buy second-hand gear?

Most people I know seem to be turning their nose up at hand-me-downs from family and friends, and wouldn't dream about using an opportunity shop (Salvos, for example) to purchase things like clothes or furniture – whereas I think I could save a lot of money and could do really well with it – so long as the safety was still okay, and I washed everything thoroughly (which I'd do with brand new clothes anyway).

What are your feelings on second hand and hand-me-downs?

Sasch
I have been raising 3 kids for the past 16 years and have been very thankful for hand-me-downs and second hand. You are absolutely right about safety equiptment and would not use a second hand child seat unless it was very recent. Cribs with proper bar spacing and from a close friend were OK with me. Just make sure that the furniture is not old and painted with lead paint. We put plastic matress covers on anyway which protected from dust mites and mold spores.

I don't know how I would have made it without garage sale, hand-me-downs, new-to- you stores and ebay for clothing. I still buy my daughter's brand name jeans that way (teen). I feel that we are being good stewards of what God has blessed us with and making that money stretch. The money saved can be used for other needs that way.

I would go for the second hand goods.

Upvote 0

lin1235

Jana's mommy!
Mar 29, 2005
Cape Town, South Africa
✟4,295.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. I have no problem with 2nd hand as long as it's clean and in good condition, and clothing I'd rewash anyway. I reckon our second baby will have some hand-me-downs from his/her older sister, so this little girl may as well get used to the idea!

Tomorrow's a public holiday in South Africa and hubby and I are going shopping for baby, and our first stop is a second hand shop close to home!

Upvote 0

andiesmama

Senior Contributor
Sep 16, 2004
Florida
✟18,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course you'll want to buy a few really cute sweet NEW clothes for the little baby....BUT....

IMO it's crazy to buy everything new as quickly as kids grow out of stuff....I got so much stuff at the baby shower for Andie, I KNOW she didn't wear probably half of the stuff, especially when she was first-born!

Luckily, I've got grandparents close by & aunts/uncles who seem to thrive on buying her new clothes, so it's rare I'll have to go out & buy her stuff.

Even high chairs, bouncy seats, etc.....if you can find it second-hand, & it's in good condition, I say go for it! Probably not so much toys, tho....unless you're able to sanitize them somehow....

Upvote 0

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have second hand cloths, my crib is second hand. I will however not use a second hand mattress because it's supposed to increase the risk of SIDS. Carseats, if I knew exactly who I was getting it from and they'd had a child using it in the last 1-3 years, I'd think about it. Carseats expire also the ware and tare on them makes them less effective or that's what I'm reading.

I already have several babygap outfits. Simply the most adorable things you'd ever see. No way could I pay full price for these things. I plan on using as many second hand cloths as I can get away with as I do with myself. While buying a few important things new.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

katelyn

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2003
✟17,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have repainted second-hand furniture, and I don't think anyone could really tell how old they are. I'm also looking into second-hand outdoor toys because those get old and faded fast anyway.

However, I do like having new clothes because then they can be handed down to our future kids. I've looked at used clothing, and if it's in like-new condition and doesn't look really outdated, then no problem. But that seems hard to find. But we've been fortunate in having many new clothes given to us as gifts, and also when I buy new I generally check out the clearance racks or sales and have found some really nice stuff for pretty cheap.

Upvote 0

~Mrs. A2J~

According to your faith will it be done to you
Aug 13, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟10,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I buy most of my daughter's clothes from eBay. I have no problem with hand-me-downs. I'd be a little more selective on other stuff but not opposed to it depending on what it was like a carseat. Something like a carseat I think I would just prefer the piece of mind of buying new unless I knew the whole life of that carseat like if it came from a family member.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love hand me downs. When my oldest was born I was 17, a single mom ... people gave us great stuff.. and she was always dressed so well in yard sale and consignment shop purchased clothing that several of my mom's neighbors made nasty little comments about how well we were living on welfare... (they had no idea I got a grand benefit of $81 every two weeks at the time...God is good.. we had everything and then some those months while I got on my feet)

My grandson's mother kind of turned up her nose at second hand stuff.. then she got the box of clothes my stepdaughter sent up... and realized sometimes second hand can mean better quality than cheaper new stuff.

I think some people are insulted by the idea of hand me downs because they don't like anyone insinuating they can't provide everything themselves, and if you are poor or struggling it can be insulting to have people insinuate you don't deserve some nice shiny new things once in awhile. Personally I can get past what other people think and do what's best for my family :)

I agree with being careful about used cribs, car seats etc.. making sure they meet current safety standards and they haven't been altered or damaged in ways that make them no longer safe.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't have a problem with them in general. However, I do think it is disrespectful to give someone clothes that have stains or in poor condition.
Personally all our outside toys are second hand finds or freebies. The only reason I don't buy much second hand clothing is that the clothes I've found lately haven't been worth the discount in price compared to clearance when buying new.

I should add that everything in my childrens' room is hand-me-down except the crib and Jayden's bed but even when the baby is out of the crib we have my cousin's bunk-bed waiting for us. It is amazing how nice you can make old furniture look with a fresh coat of paint and stencils etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh my goodness... yes on second hand stuff. I'll take all of it. If any of you want to get rid of stuff, especially boys clothes.... I am sooo here for you :D

Yeah no used crib mattresses or carseats but everything else is fair game. I shopped starting when I was pregnant at lots of garage sales and got lots of good deals.

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,776,587.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just about everything my kids wear is second hand, with the exception of shoes and outdoor winter-wear. Right now I'm wearing pants from Goodwill. As long as the stuff is in good condition and not stained and smelly, go for it.

I don't get why some people are picky about this. You want to buy your kid a $20 T-shirt from Gap? Go ahead. I can find one at a rummage for 50 cents:D

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2004
Visit site
✟25,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
we got everything new with trevor. only hand me downs we got were from a friends, we got a bag of clothes.
I like the idea of having new clothes for my kids. Ones that some other kid hasnt puked in yet.....just my opinion...probably no one elses though

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We can't afford to buy much new. I prefer to buy second hand because I would probably spend at least $300.00 on each child per season to buy new. that is too much particularly when they may only wear it for a few months anyway.

I don't particularly like ebay that much, because I have been caught out on the sizing. I prefer to be able to see it right in front of my eyes and have my child there so I can check if it will fit them.

So second hand it is for us. Most of the time you cannot tell if it is second hand or not anyway. My son got a compliment on his outfit at preschool yesterday and I thought to myself it really didn't cost that much, even though he was wearing some brand names.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2004
Visit site
✟25,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We go to Ross a lot. It is name brand stuff and it is cheap.
That is where we go to get most of his clothes. When we go elsewhere it is to JC Pennys when they are having a big sale.

It hasnt been spendy fo rus at all and we have shopped at any 2nd Hand stores.

Upvote 0