Are We Witnessing the Beginning of the End for Fox News?

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Fox News in Last Place of TV Ratings for These Reasons

Fox News has been in last place in the cable news ratings for eight straight days.

It’s still too early to say if this represents a seismic shift in the cable news landscape, or if it is just a temporary realignment in the wake of a uniquely historic few months. But Fox News ratings are trending down at a clip not seen in literally decades.

Since the early aughts, Fox News has consistently been the most-watched, and arguably the most influential, cable news outlet — by a mile.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Fox News has been in last place in the cable news ratings for eight straight days.

It’s still too early to say if this represents a seismic shift in the cable news landscape, or if it is just a temporary realignment in the wake of a uniquely historic few months. But Fox News ratings are trending down at a clip not seen in literally decades.

Since the early aughts, Fox News has consistently been the most-watched, and arguably the most influential, cable news outlet — by a mile.
I'll add to that: They seemed to be running on inertia from previous years where they had more solid evening lineups. When you lose the people that made those lineups, you have to make do, which they did for a while. Shepard Smith was mentioned (though he was more daytime), but Bill O'Reilly was not. I'm not defending what he did that ended his career there, but he was neither left nor right, and a strong personality that people liked to watch. Hannity was better when he had Alan Colmes with him. And so forth. Now, this wasn't going to last forever - O'Reilly was going to have to retire someday, as was Roger Ailes who helped put so much of that together. But I feel they were on a slow decline anyway, then Chris Wallace's disastrous debate happened, which built up inertia for the Trump craziness that happened on and since election night. I feel that Fox had lost its way years ago, but it's only now coming to a head.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Make that all of January.

Nielsen numbers for the month of January were released on Tuesday, and Fox ranked third in the three-horse cable news race for the first time since 2001.

Think about it this way: January was one of the biggest months of political news in a generation, yet Fox couldn't capitalize. Instead of competing by promoting correspondents and putting news coverage front and center, the network prioritized ever more outrageous, ever more extreme opinion. "Tucker Carlson Tonight" essentially expanded to "Tucker Carlson Day and Night."

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"Tucker Carlson Tonight" essentially expanded to "Tucker Carlson Day and Night."

Surely that much Tucker Carlson is a violation of the Geneva Convention.

-- A2SG, talk about cruel and unusual punishment......

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Fox News Plummets Among Trump Voters as 'Most Trusted Source of News': Poll

In the latest USA Today/Suffolk Poll, released Sunday, just 34 percent of Trump voters listed the Fox News as their "most trusted source of news"—a 24 percent drop from the 58 percent that favored the network in October 2016.

David Paleologos, director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center said the findings indicated a "seismic shift in the landscape of trusted news sources for conservatives."

Two news outlets have increased in prominence among conservatives in recent months. Newsmax is now seen as the most trusted source of news among 17 percent of Trump supporters and One American News Network (OAN) among 9 percent.

More than a quarter of conservatives trust Newsmax or OAN the most for news. Astonishing.

Upvote 0

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Fox News Plummets Among Trump Voters as 'Most Trusted Source of News': Poll

In the latest USA Today/Suffolk Poll, released Sunday, just 34 percent of Trump voters listed the Fox News as their "most trusted source of news"—a 24 percent drop from the 58 percent that favored the network in October 2016.

David Paleologos, director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center said the findings indicated a "seismic shift in the landscape of trusted news sources for conservatives."

Two news outlets have increased in prominence among conservatives in recent months. Newsmax is now seen as the most trusted source of news among 17 percent of Trump supporters and One American News Network (OAN) among 9 percent.

More than a quarter of conservatives trust Newsmax or OAN the most for news. Astonishing.
This is worrisome.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's such a sad and pathetic way to live when your "most trusted" news sources MUST align with you politically.
As SOON as I agree with everything my news tells me, I get suspicious.

I want fact based, centrist reporting. I will forever laud npr in the US as it seems to be one of the best and closest to middle news outlets out there.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's such a sad and pathetic way to live when your "most trusted" news sources MUST align with you politically.

I want fact based, centrist reporting. I will forever laud npr in the US as it seems to be one of the best and closest to middle news outlets out there.

It's a manifestation of why this wing of conservatism will never gain ground among the professional class and will always be on the outside looking in. When you can't accept anything other than what you want to hear, you're doomed to fail.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist

Why is it worrisome that a substantial number of supporters of one of the 2 prominent political parties in the US embraces far-right, detached from reality news outlets as their "most-trusted news"?

I would think the answer is obvious.

• Agree
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is it worrisome that a substantial number of supporters of one of the 2 prominent political parties in the US embraces far-right, detached from reality news outlets as their "most-trusted news"?

I would think the answer is obvious.
"This" wasn't clear in your post. It could have been expressing deep concern for FOXBabeNews. Thanks for clarifying.

BTW, The go-to sources for the far Right are just interchangeable parts from the 1950's. Nothing new.

Upvote 0

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I can live with family and friends being "Fox conservatives." But OANN or Newsmax conservatives I have much harder time tolerating. The opinion shows on Fox are terrible the but the actual midday news portion on Fox is still decent to good. The other two I think are too far away from reality.

Upvote 0

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

I would recommend supplementing it with the PBS Newshour as well. Fantastic reporting. Their only weak spot I think is Yamiche who can sometimes, very mildly, let her biases slip through. But still, extremely well reported and fair news from that team.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
NPR, maybe. Not any of the others. The ideal of unbiased journalism has simply faded into history.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
"This" wasn't clear in your post. It could have been expressing deep concern for FOXBabeNews. Thanks for clarifying.

BTW, The go-to sources for the far Right are just interchangeable parts from the 1950's. Nothing new.

FYI, it wasn't my post, but i thought the post you were referring to was self-explanatory.

• Friendly
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
NPR, maybe. Not any of the others. The ideal of unbiased journalism has simply faded into history.
You'll note that there's a few organization that at LEAST kinda try to be impartial though....

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟101,338.00
Faith
Seeker
Today's news offers a glaring example of why people have been switching from Fox News:
FOX News and FBN Block Attorney Matthew Deperno From Appearing on Hannity and Lou Dobbs after Explosive Antrim County IT Report on Dominion Voting Machines

Even the highest rated commentators on Fox News are being restricted in what they are allowed to air.

They can release screenshots of the 22 ballots and show the 15 ballots that were counted as an error. Also explain why people tolerated a voting machine that would not count 68% of votes properly, also explain why the hand recount matches the machine count

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
—————————-Comrades! All is not lost. Presidential Trump will rise again, just like in the Atlantic City! The best is yeti to come!

Maybe I'm just being picky, but this has bugged me for a while now.

Best is yeti to come???

-- A2SG, keep expecting the abominable snowman to show up.....

Upvote 0