Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by brinny
into what?

i dunno.....haven't given it much thought....

Yep. The toddler-why doesn't require much thought.

Quote:
does it cause you pain or anguish?

Yep. The toddler-why doesn't require much thought.

Nawp, ask away, if its all you've got. We'd just rather engage brinny in discussion and/or debate. I have raised enough toddlers to fully expect that the toddler-why won't typically yield a whole lot of intellectual "meat"...

actually, what came to mind for me in reading the title of this thread was exactly that....."into what?"

Evolving into what? It's a legitimate question that may cause a pause in the flow of a discussion or debate...but yet, ya gotta wonder what the purpose of the debate or discussion is from the git go.

I don't believe we 'evolve' We are how we were created to be. And in 10,000 years, if we're still around, we will be the same as we are now. Human beings.

Upvote 0

atomweaver

Nov 3, 2006
"Flat Raccoon", Connecticut
✟10,391.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
actually, what came to mind for me in reading the title of this thread was exactly that....."into what?"

Evolving into what? It's a legitimate question that may cause a pause in the flow of a discussion or debate...but yet, ya gotta wonder what the purpose of the debate or discussion is from the git go.

I don't believe we 'evolve' We are how we were created to be.

Why the 'laser quotes'? You are the biological descendant of your parents, plus maybe a half-dozen non-neutral mutations which are unique to you. If this is true of all humans, the human population cannot help but to evolve...

And in 10,000 years, if we're still around, we will be the same as we are now. Human beings.

Yep, although I'm a little suprised don't believe we evolve, and then follow with a comment so very evolutionistic in nature. 10,000 years or 10,000,000 years, regardless of the timeframe that you put on it, all evolutionists know that all human descendants will, themselves, be human (with some modifications, just like you).

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Quote:

I don't believe we 'evolve' We are how we were created to be.

Why the 'laser quotes'? You are the biological descendant of your parents, plus maybe a half-dozen non-neutral mutations which are unique to you. If this is true of all humans, the human population cannot help but to evolve...

i like 'laser quotes'

And in 10,000 years, if we're still around, we will be the same as we are now. Human beings.

Yep, although I'm a little suprised don't believe we evolve, and then follow with a comment so very evolutionistic in nature. 10,000 years or 10,000,000 years, regardless of the timeframe that you put on it, all evolutionists know that all human descendants will, themselves, be human (with some modifications, just like you).[/QUOTE]

what's the difference between an ape, and a human being...and what 'modifications' are you speaking of?

Upvote 0

atomweaver

Nov 3, 2006
"Flat Raccoon", Connecticut
✟10,391.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Yep, although I'm a little suprised don't believe we evolve, and then follow with a comment so very evolutionistic in nature. 10,000 years or 10,000,000 years, regardless of the timeframe that you put on it, all evolutionists know that all human descendants will, themselves, be human (with some modifications, just like you).

what's the difference between an ape, and a human being...and what 'modifications' are you speaking of?

Human beings are apes; one variety of them. To a biologist (I'm not one, but I'll play their part for you), your question reads something like; 'what's the difference between an apple, and a red delicious apple?'
Did you want to know what makes humans different from other modern apes? The major physical differences are; walking upright, and a much larger cranial capacity relative to body size. The social and intellectual differences are much, much larger... they're mostly driven by the cranial capacity mutation, but they are what make us the world's current dominant vertebrate species. But then, these are blatantly obvious bits of trivia, so I'm not certain why you ask..?

What modifications will future populations have? Whichever modifications are derived from non-neutral mutations, and which give a reproductive advantage within the environment that the population finds itself. Tough to say exactly what that would be, without knowing the environment in which the population would find themselves...

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Human beings are apes; one variety of them. To a biologist (I'm not one, but I'll play their part for you), your question reads something like; 'what's the difference between an apple, and a red delicious apple?'
Did you want to know what makes humans different from other modern apes? The major physical differences are; walking upright, and a much larger cranial capacity relative to body size. The social and intellectual differences are much, much larger... they're mostly driven by the cranial capacity mutation, but they are what make us the world's current dominant vertebrate species. But then, these are blatantly obvious bits of trivia, so I'm not certain why you ask..?

What modifications will future populations have? Whichever modifications are derived from non-neutral mutations, and which give a reproductive advantage within the environment that the population finds itself. Tough to say exactly what that would be, without knowing the environment in which the population would find themselves...

why aren't apes called human beings?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Some apes are called human beings; the ones of species Homo sapiens. Other apes, of other species, are known by different names.

what is a human being?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

what is a human being?

This question is either unnecissarily philosophical, or you are completely unaware of yourself. Take your pick.

It's a question for you. I don't believe human beings are a 'species' of animal or are related to monkeys, apes, or animals. I believe it's been so since the beginning when Adam named the creatures in the garden of Eden, because God gave him dominion over the earth and the creatures. Adam was who God made in His image. Not animals.

What is a human being?

Upvote 0

AintNoMonkey

Jan 24, 2008
Midwest US
✟16,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

It's a question for you. I don't believe human beings are a 'species' of animal or are related to monkeys, apes, or animals. I believe it's been so since the beginning when Adam named the creatures in the garden of Eden, because God gave him dominion over the earth and the creatures. Adam was who God made in His image. Not animals.

What is a human being?

What is a species?

Upvote 0

AintNoMonkey

Jan 24, 2008
Midwest US
✟16,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
not a human being....

Then what is a human being, if not a species? And is anything that is not a human a species? Is salt a species?

Or is it that biological organisms existing in nature are species? Aren't humans biological organisms? Do we not exist in nature?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pekkle

Mar 8, 2008
✟7,678.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Then what is a human being, if not a species? And is anything that is not a human a species? Is salt a species?

Or is it that biological organisms existing in nature are species? Aren't humans biological organisms? Do we not exist in nature?

A group of organisms belong to the same biological species if they are capable of interbreeding to produce fertile offspring. However the biological test of a species is not always available, and so there is also a morphological species concept based on anatomical similarities.

Upvote 0

AintNoMonkey

Jan 24, 2008
Midwest US
✟16,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Survival of the fittest doesn't work when the unfit are given medicine and are allowed to live healthy lifes etc...

Fortunately we will use genetic modificiation/alteration technology in the near future.

Fitness =/= health. Fitness is the ability to produce viable offspring. For example, Michael Jordan is somebody who we would call 'fit'. But if he was sterile, his biological fitness would be zero.

Upvote 0

AintNoMonkey

Jan 24, 2008
Midwest US
✟16,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A group of organisms belong to the same biological species if they are capable of interbreeding to produce fertile offspring. However the biological test of a species is not always available, and so there is also a morphological species concept based on anatomical similarities.

So then we agree that humans are a species. Fantastic!

Upvote 0

AdmiralBell

Oct 17, 2006
world w/o God
✟7,711.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
what is a human being?

Lets say a living being that if given the proper organs (that doesn't mean they have to have them), and uses their own DNA in the reproduction cell of their gender, is able to produce offspring with a person we know to be human (say you or I) and the kid fits the above criteria.

Essentially, If you take a human's DNA and mix it with another human you will almost always get a human.

Upvote 0