Are We Better Off On Immigration Issues Now Compared To December?

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Immigration issues are at the heart at the white nationalist Bannon agenda. Have the changes helped the country or hurt?

1) There is now a partial ban in place. I don't see that this hurts us much.

2) Illegal immigration across the Mexican border is down by 78%.

3) Deportations are way down.

4) There are continuing backlogs in the immigration courts, and continuing errors in individual cases. This hasn't changed.

5) DACA is still in place.

6) ICE is not the problem with regard to law enforcement. Courts are dealing with Justice when they overstep. The largest problem is when local law enforcement oversteps in concert with Justice.

7) Gangs are being defeated. Obviously, the methods are putting fear into some communities. Justice wants states and cities to violate state and local laws. That is for the courts to decide and judge, as has always been the case. However, we should judge the effect, prosecution of gangs.

8) Drugs are not really being dealt with. This is not really an immigration issue. Folks are taking pills, often imported from China. Local and state governments are trying to act. The federal government has done little so far other than declare an emergency. Congress is now upon to bat to pass legislation. Of course, the attitudes of Sessions towards drug users doesn't help at all.

9) Immigration legislation as proposed is a non-starter. Everyone knows that. Congress can decide whether to pass much smaller efforts which are needed. Congress needs to decide whether we want needed workers or not. Changing to a point system is a long-term project. The effort to start a discussion on possible legislation cannot be seen as a negative. Choosing to have many fewer legal immigrants is a non-starter. Either nothing will happen, or some minor improvements will happen.

ONE BOTTOM LINE
Democrats need to be very careful with regard to this issue. It was a winner for Trump in 2016. Nothing has happened to hurt the Republican position. Democrats need to accept/praise the positive changes and campaign on changes that could be supported by the majority of the Senate and people.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I suppose it depends on what we would define as better, yes? If you agree with what Trump wanted to accomplish, then you're probably happy. If you don't agree with it, you probably aren't.

Actually it is the perspective that you state that I disagree with.

If the Democrats continue to take the view that all of these efforts are wrongheaded and the results are unacceptable, then I predict that this will lose us several house seats in 2018. If Democrats cannot state that it is OK that illegal immigration has decreased and the deportations are down, they will be on the losing side of House races. Supporting more illegal immigration as a good thing is NOT a winning view, at least not IMHO.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Actually it is the perspective that you state that I disagree with.

If the Democrats continue to take the view that all of these efforts are wrongheaded and the results are unacceptable, then I predict that this will lose us several house seats in 2018. If Democrats cannot state that it is OK that illegal immigration has decreased and the deportations are down, they will be on the losing side of House races. Supporting more illegal immigration as a good thing is NOT a winning view, at least not IMHO.

The party? Sure. The party should be very careful about anything like that. The party could, though, present some of the people who are here illegally in a light that could show WHY they are here and show that we might want to have some compassion on them for those reasons. I don't think we should celebrate people being removed who have peacefully lived here for decades just because they lack the right paperwork.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I suppose it depends on what we would define as better, yes? If you agree with what Trump wanted to accomplish, then you're probably happy. If you don't agree with it, you probably aren't.

I just give my analysis as a warning to my party. If we accept what is reasonable of Republican actions, then we will easily take control of the House, as is often the case in mid-term elections, especially where the president is unpopular. If we think that being anti-Trump and against everything that Trump did is the winning strategy, we will lose the House. The anti-Trump strategy was tried. It failed to defeat the worst candidate since WWII. The strategy is bad enough to lose again.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes we are, but the press wants to focus on Russia and the Klan.

The press is irrelevant to voters. Its importance is to Trump. He needs something to attack when he is angry.

I bring this up because it will be an issue in 2018 elections, and it will likely be part of legislative discussion before then.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The press is irrelevant to voters. Its importance is to Trump. He needs something to attack when he is angry.

I bring this up because it will be an issue in 2018 elections, and it will likely be part of legislative discussion before then.
The press has influence over voters though. Immigration will continue to be an issue, but everything will be harder for Republicans now. I'll be pleasantly surprised otherwise, but not much GOP legislation is going to move for the time being.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The press has influence over voters though. Immigration will continue to be an issue, but everything will be harder for Republicans now. I'll be pleasantly surprised otherwise, but not much GOP legislation is going to move for the time being.
Agreed. As far as the press having influence, I suspect that this is somewhat overblown. Folks get their news from sources that they agree with. The media is unlikely to be changing their minds. People who listen to Breitbart or MSNBC are not likely to be "influenced" to change their minds.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think we should celebrate people being removed who have peacefully lived here for decades just because they lack the right paperwork.

I agree. However, deportations are down by large percentages. Sure, we need to get better. As with only decreasing illegal immigration by 78%, the numbers could continue to drop. I don't think that Democrats can campaign against a set of policies that given us these large decreases.

Obviously, we must have policies that show support for immigrants, and children of immigrants the US. However, this is unlikely to be much of a campaign issue.

Upvote 0