Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Putting all other factors aside, are violent video games sinful in themselves?
"Content" in any form of media, and interpretation, what you see as sinful or promoting, or wrong ideas/concepts, is what makes it sinful or not, if it contains things that go against your conscience, it's sinful and should be avoided...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What does the violence in video games do to you...? How does it make you feel, how does it affect what you think and do, and/or how you act...?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It can be training us to depend on violence as a last resort, possibly, instead of always depending on the LORD and submitting to how He has us loving.

It can be helping us to see violence as an effective way to solve a problem, when we need to test things to discover how God is able to use even any situation for His love purpose.

Jesus on the cross had compassion for those who were hating and torturing and murdering Him. Violence games and shows, though, can encourage us to not have compassion for the wrong characters in those shows and games.

And why are we so fascinated by a violence thing? Possibly, our attention could be to what is better.

It can be a way of being un-resourceful, including of trying to have an interesting life but without sharing in love with other people. Our time could go to loving, instead. With people, we have a much more needed and interesting challenge, to keep finding out how to love :)

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Probably so, anything that promotes sin in general should definitely be avoided. However, I think it's best to seek God's guidance directly on things we should avoid or not; it all depends on a person's relationship with God.

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
A lot of video games as well as brutal sports are dangerous to us because they desensitise us to blood, gore and violence.

Are there any studies which confirm that? Personally, I've played some games with a lot of gore, even when I was little, but in real life even a little blood is horrible to me. It's just a matter of separating fiction from reality.

Upvote 0

XEKUTER

Redeemed
Aug 8, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟15,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anything is sinful if you allow it to take over your thoughts and/or allowing it to affect your relationship with GOD and your family.

I would say you have to be strong to partake in violent games and not let it change you. If its something you struggle with then "cut it off"

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No.
ANy more than a knife laying on the sidewalk is sinful in itself.

For the pure in heart, all things are pure. (now try to find anyone pure in heart!)

For the rest, everything is sinful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Little boys used to play "cowboys and indians" when I was a kid as well as other "war" games. The idea is that they are exercising their desire to protect the good from the bad.

Interestingly, I used to play a game called Command and Conquer quite a bit. In it, you countrol troop movements and building of equipment, supplies and recruits, and slaughter the enemy as best you can. There are three sides you can be on, America, China, Middle eastern terrorist group. I never played the latter because their tactics are, well, terroristic. You often need to kill civilians and innocents as part of your tactics. It's an over the top "ends justifies the means" scenario.

And I've played Grand Theft Auto with my grandson, but focus on the driving aspect. I did a deep dive into that game when we set it up at our house for when he comes over (I have his PS3 now and he has a PS4 at home).

In my deep dive I found out you can visit a strip club and get a lap dance from a topless and, honestly speaking, kinda creepy looking dancer and also found out you can pick up prostitutes for a little back alley "fun", and then shoot them dead when you're "done with them". My wife and I reported this to his mother. No wonder he wanted me to avoid certain places when I was with him, and when he was playing with a friend online while I was in the room, when his friend said, "lets go to the club", he said, "naw, I'm with my grandpa". BTW, he's 12.

i.e. yes, some games are over the top, but not all. And this experience with GTA really made me fear for the next generation. It's certainly not going on the machine at my house any more.

Upvote 0

frater_domus

Faith is all that matters.
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2018
Berlin
✟186,302.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You know what's funny? I got a whole lot of God's messages though KOTOR and DA:I. The thing is, you need to ask yourself, why do you play games? Do you want to escape reality and shun your duties? That is sinful. However, do you want to use your leisure time for it, appreciate the game mechanics or the story or whatever else you enjoy about it? I see nothing wrong with that. God can work through anything, so if you go for the 1 Corinthians 10:31 type of gaming, I believe that you are good to go.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to post this same kind of question. Yet its something so many do not what to hear or at least think about. Well if I a man see a woman and lust in my mind.. I did the sin yes? If I just make up some woman in my head and then lust.. the sin is the same a sin. So if I play a game that has witch craft magic fake gods or play a game that kills... you think GOD really looks at this as a GAME? Where in the word is it ok to even think about killing someone.

You believe you can make someone up in your head and murder them ..is ok? NO..but playing a game and killing something is? Both are not real. This is NOT about "how YOU FEEL". Its not "whats sin for me may not be sin for you". See Jesus sitting next to you doing witch craft or magic or killing do we? Lets not misunderstand me.. I am NOT by far any different. I am in the same boat.

Murder is wrong.. magic witch craft lying stealing.. but if its in a GAME is OK but any kind of SEX is wrong in game? I thought its not real? Its NOT REAL..its NOT OF GOD. He never had any hand in that game. He is NOT IN IT at all what so ever. Anything that is not of faith is sin. Does it POINT to Christ? No it points to false fake gods demons evil so forth. And people wonder why they have problems in life.

Ever play a game with a pentagram in it? We have a free choice.. thinking its not bad or evil does not make it so. There is no middle ground. He gets ALL the glory and praise in all things or not. As if praying reading seeking Him.. is not as one said "leisure time".

Want a test to show you where your hear its? What I just said.. what would rather be doing.. these games or always in pray seeking the kingdom 1st.. always reading that word. The more you seek Him the more He opens things to you of Him self that.. WOW so beautiful awesome. Ho w many in this world dont know Christ? yeah.. now you see why the labors are few. Again I am no different. At least now we cant say we never heard huh.

Upvote 0

DreadCthulhu

Feb 2, 2018
Nova Scotia
✟3,186.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to post this same kind of question. Yet its something so many do not what to hear or at least think about. Well if I a man see a woman and lust in my mind.. I did the sin yes? If I just make up some woman in my head and then lust.. the sin is the same a sin. So if I play a game that has witch craft magic fake gods or play a game that kills... you think GOD really looks at this as a GAME? Where in the word is it ok to even think about killing someone.

You believe you can make someone up in your head and murder them ..is ok? NO..but playing a game and killing something is? Both are not real. This is NOT about "how YOU FEEL". Its not "whats sin for me may not be sin for you". See Jesus sitting next to you doing witch craft or magic or killing do we? Lets not misunderstand me.. I am NOT by far any different. I am in the same boat.

Murder is wrong.. magic witch craft lying stealing.. but if its in a GAME is OK but any kind of SEX is wrong in game? I thought its not real? Its NOT REAL..its NOT OF GOD. He never had any hand in that game. He is NOT IN IT at all what so ever. Anything that is not of faith is sin. Does it POINT to Christ? No it points to false fake gods demons evil so forth. And people wonder why they have problems in life.

Ever play a game with a pentagram in it? We have a free choice.. thinking its not bad or evil does not make it so. There is no middle ground. He gets ALL the glory and praise in all things or not. As if praying reading seeking Him.. is not as one said "leisure time".

Want a test to show you where your hear its? What I just said.. what would rather be doing.. these games or always in pray seeking the kingdom 1st.. always reading that word. The more you seek Him the more He opens things to you of Him self that.. WOW so beautiful awesome. Ho w many in this world dont know Christ? yeah.. now you see why the labors are few. Again I am no different. At least now we cant say we never heard huh.
tl;dr. The answer is no

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cirtex

That one guy
Mar 9, 2018
Royce
✟7,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single

no, if a kid shoots up a school because he saw something similar in a video game. then it's on the parents for not controlling their kinds actions, failing to raise the kid with a proper mental and moral attitude, and for not controlling what they are exposed to.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes.
YHVH says NOT to be around violent men of temper, hotheads, nor greedy nor idolators.
Also,
BAD complany CORRUPTS good morals. (as if someone has good morals - why would they take part in anything sinful, unless they start keeping bad company)

Upvote 0

Tina miller

Apr 16, 2018
Freport
✟17,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe it is a matter of discernment. I mean not every video game is Evil, but some video games are. I would say if it affects you in real life, and not in a good way, myself, I would stay away from playing video games like that. Like a lot of cussing for example in a video game, really affects me. Or if the video games, talks bad about God. I stop playing quickly, or if there are Tarot cards in video games, or something that twist religion, then it starts to affect me. For real. Not for fake, but in the real world mind you.

This would go for movies, music, video games, etc..

Video game magic does not affect me, but for some people it does. It is all about why you do what you do, your motive, and is your conscious nagging at you to stop, than you should if that is the case. If you feel fine about it, and it does not affect your walk with God, and you do not feel convicted about what you are doing, than I would say proceed, but again, the choice is yours to make.

However, when I shoot, in a game, that is pretend to me, so it does not affect me, but for some people it could, so in their case, if they believe shooting something fake, is real murder, than by all means they should stop playing asap.

Reactions: frater_domus
Upvote 0