Are those who deny eternal punishment doomed to Hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
More typos. Not doing that on purpose, even if that is what you may be hoping for.

I meant to provide the following: 1 Corinthians 15:51-55 and 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17.

But the point is, is that we will have new bodies: The old being made new. We have been born into a sinful mortal coil that will die, but one day, they who have died in Christ will be given new bodies in which sin does not dwell and which will not die and the bodies of they who remain alive will also be changed from mortal to immortal and from bodies in which sin dwells into bodies in which no sin dwells.
Were you predestined for that?

• Haha
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is the least of your problems!

Think how the teaching of endless punishment slanders God and Jesus Christ!

If that is slander, then Christ Himself is guilty as charged because He spoke of it. (Mt. 25:41)

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If that is slander, then Christ Himself is guilty as charged because He spoke of it. (Mt. 25:41)
There are some folks at this forum who claim that "aionios kolasis" in Matthew 25:46 does not mean "eternal punishment" but "correction of the age" or some such nonsense.
I have been posting the quotes below for a few days none of the UR crowd has bothered to respond.
Greek has always been the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church. Who better than they know the correct meaning of, e.g. “aionios” and “kolasis?” Note the EOB uses “aionios” and “aidios” as synonyms.

The Eastern / Greek Orthodox Bible EOB — New Testament 96
Matthew 25:46 Then he will answer them. saying ‘Amen. I tell you: a much as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' “These [[ones on the left]] will go away into eternal punishment.[κολασιν αιωνιον/kolasin aionion] but the righteous into eternal life.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world, his invisible things are clearly seen. They perceived through created things, even his everlasting [τε αιδιος/té aidios] power and divinity.
1 Timothy 1:17 Now, to the eternal [των αιωνων/ton aionon] King. immortal. invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory unto ages of ages. Amen.
https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/books/or...tament-(The-Eastern-Greek-Orthodox-Bible).pdf
The Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible EOB — New Testament 96, quoted above, can be D/L at the link above. If you choose to read this version I suggest you read the preface which summarizes the scholarship which produced this translation..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Not quite laddy!

The Master of Reconciliation did indeed speak of "everlasting punishment" in the parable of clean animals (sheep & goats) & pure virgins (5 wise/ 5 unwise & poor investors.

Why? ? ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
322133_6c2ce21e68d53b44ec698e2fb214f69a.jpg

• Winner
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There is one (1) passage of Canon for “everlasting punishment” (Matt.25). This one single verse is the cornerstone for the proponents of unending punishment.

According to the context of St. Matthew 25 and ONLY the context, please fill in the empty lines.

The foundation for “everlasting punishment” Matt. 25=

1._____________________________?

2._____________________________?

3._____________________________?

4._____________________________?

5._____________________________?

• Useful
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FineLinen said:
Not quite laddy!
The Master of Reconciliation did indeed speak of "everlasting punishment" in the parable of clean animals (sheep & goats) & pure virgins (5 wise/ 5 unwise & poor investors.
Why? ? ?
In the gospels the word "punishment" only occurs one time , Matthew 25:46.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The OP question was to not actually believe there's a hell....does that mean in itself one won't make heaven their home? Just not believing there's a hell I wouldn't think so.

We have to come back on what saves one. Belief in the substitution work of Jesus Christ and identifying with Christ in what he said that would do. And for as many as received him to them gave he the power to become a son of God. His precious blood blots out their sins making them the righteousness of God that is IN CHRIST. That's salvation.

I very much believe there is a hell to shun and a heaven to gain but one can do what I said above and I believe they'll make heaven their home. There's other things that could be said about this topic as in what if one hasn't heard the gospel but that's another subject. But why should an actual belief not of hell keep one out of heaven? Keep in mind God is not trying to keep people out but he's wanting to bring them in. To suggest one has to have every minute detail of theology right as in things not directly related to salvation is really I think to miss the heart of God. I think the other however is important and God will correct people in the next world BUT he could still say to them well done good and faithful servant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not quite laddy!

Why? ? ?

Because there is everlasting punishment for the goats, unwise virgins, and foolish investors.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Because there is everlasting punishment for the goats, unwise virgins, and foolish investors.

The clean goats & the pure virgins are heading for aionios kolasis.

Why?

There is one (1) passage of Canon for “everlasting punishment” (Matt.25). This one single verse is the cornerstone for the proponents of unending punishment.

According to the context of St. Matthew 25 and ONLY the context, please fill in the empty lines.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is only true if "everlasting" and "punishment" were correctly translated.
That is our point. Age-long correction is neither eternal nor punishment. Restoration is the goal.

Romans 11:32
For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
That is our point. Age-long correction is neither eternal nor punishment. Restoration is the goal.

For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Where anyone gets the idea that punishment is an end in itself is in dire need of examining the purpose for the same by a parent of calibre.

The punishment of the Father of all fathers has one purpose ONLY!

Change & transformation.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ελεηση/eleésé the word translated "may have mercy," is aorist, active, subjunctive. The Subjunctive is the mood of possibility and potentiality. If Paul had intended to say "shall have mercy on them all" he would have used the perfect, active, indicative as he did in Romans 9:15. But let's not be bothered with things like Greek grammar.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The passage cited does not pertain to the world at large but only to a specific people whom God left in unbelief for a time in order that mercy could be shown to all people and the translation is not age-long correction as you claim it is---I just looked it up---it does come out as everlasting punishment. Take it up with James Strong if that is not acceptable to you.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The clean goats & the pure virgins are heading for aionios kolasis.

Why?

There are other passages that clearly teach everlasting punishment for the wicked besides this one but to sum it up, the reason for their punishment is that they were enemies of the people of God and therefore were enemies of Christ.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Utter nonsense! No matter how many times you repeat this you cannot make it true.
Greek has always been the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church. Who better than they know the correct meaning of, e.g. “aionios” and “kolasis?”
Note the EOB Paul uses “aionios” and “aidios” as synonyms, Rom 1:20 and 1 Tim 1:17.

The Eastern / Greek Orthodox Bible EOB — New Testament 96
Matthew 25:46 Then he will answer them saying ‘Amen. I tell you: a much as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' “These [[ones on the left]] will go away into eternal punishment.[κολασιν αιωνιον/kolasin aionion] but the righteous into eternal life.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world, his invisible things are clearly seen. They perceived through created things, even his everlasting [τε αιδιος/té aidios] power and divinity.
1 Timothy 1:17 Now, to the eternal [των αιωνων/ton aionon] King. immortal. invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory unto ages of ages. Amen.
https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/books/or...tament-(The-Eastern-Greek-Orthodox-Bible).pdf
The Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible EOB — New Testament 96 can be D/L at the link above. If you choose to read this version I suggest you read the preface which summarizes the scholarship supporting this translation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.