Are those who deny eternal punishment doomed to Hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
The Athanasian Creed clearly says that belief in eternal punishment is a requirement for salvation. Said Creed has been accepted in the past by the Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church, the Anglican Church and the Lutheran Church. Where does this leave Catholics, Orthodox, Anglicans and Lutherans who simply cannot profess a belief in eternal punishment, as well as all other Christians who in good conscience, are unable to confess such a belief?

I am reminded of a Lutheran service that I attended 30 years ago in a Midwestern suburban community. That Sunday there was a guest pastor and he chose to use the Athanasian Creed. The congregation was reading the Creed aloud together, but when the time came to read the line about eternal punishment, 95+% of the congregation went silent and refused to read said line aloud.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The Athanasian Creed clearly says that belief in eternal punishment is a requirement for salvation. Said Creed has been accepted in the past by the Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church, the Anglican Church and the Lutheran Church. Where does this leave Catholics, Orthodox, Anglicans and Lutherans who simply cannot profess a belief in eternal punishment, as well as all other Christians who in good conscience, are unable to confess such a belief?

I am reminded of a Lutheran service that I attended 30 years ago in a Midwestern suburban community. That Sunday there was a guest pastor and he chose to use the Athanasian Creed. The congregation was reading the Creed aloud together, but when the time came to read the line about eternal punishment, 95+% of the congregation went silent and refused to read said line aloud.
Good question. I do not believe that God sets a theology exam as a condition for salvation. If a person is born again, then they are accepted by God. However, being saved is far more than just going to heaven when you die. We are meant to be witnesses and to be making disciple. I'm not convinced that the gospel is effective if people believe that they will make it into heaven eventually.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I would not read the line either, and am heartened to hear that the light is starting to shine in believers.
When I was studying this issue, I read an article by a pastor who adopted UR. People stopped getting saved. When he went back to preaching hell, people started repenting and being saved again.
Why would anyone give up the pleasures of sin if they thought that they'd make it into heaven anyway? UR is much more comfortable for Christians because it does not offend anyone. The church has been declining spiritually for decades. There is a great deal that is false now and UR is just another wrong teaching that is creeping in.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Good question. I do not believe that God sets a theology exam as a condition for salvation. If a person is born again, then they are accepted by God. However, being saved is far more than just going to heaven when you die. We are meant to be witnesses and to be making disciple. I'm not convinced that the gospel is effective if people believe that they will make it into heaven eventually.
When I was studying this issue, I read an article by a pastor who adopted UR. People stopped getting saved. When he went back to preaching hell, people started repenting and being saved again.
Why would anyone give up the pleasures of sin if they thought that they'd make it into heaven anyway? UR is much more comfortable for Christians because it does not offend anyone. The church has been declining spiritually for decades. There is a great deal that is false now and UR is just another wrong teaching that is creeping in.
Well, who wants to catch it all their life on this plane then die and go to Hell when they die? Witnessing to people that Hell is real is very effective in getting people to see the love of God imho.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Athanasian Creed clearly says that belief in eternal punishment is a requirement for salvation.

What if "eternal punishment" actually means that time doesn't exist in hell?
Which is why the crowd went silent. Because it depends on what it means.

If eternal means "without end" then if time doesn't exist, hell would be without end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Just wanted to add Reformed are also creedal.

Now I guess the question is if one denies eternal punishment does that mean God will honor their belief. ;)

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The Athanasian Creed clearly says that belief in eternal punishment is a requirement for salvation.
It says "into everlasting fire." Presumably people will understand this in the same sense that they understand similar terms in the NT. If you advocate "literal" interpretation of the creed, after all, you end up with works salvation, since it says that judgement is based entirely upon our deeds.

I would think that would be a more serious issue than the reference to everlasting fire.

Reactions: Jok
Upvote 0

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think the Athanasian Creed was written by Athanasius, and it seems in places to be more a curse than a CREED. Formerly it was in Book of Common Prayer (Episcopal) - right alongside Nicene and Apostles Creeds, but it was later moved into the Historical Documents section, no longer on a par with Nicene and Apostles

People have "the right to remain silent" coming to a phrase they think is bogus. Like me when Nicene Creed is printed in a bulletin with the FILOQUE in it. Originally, Nicene Creed said the Holy Spirit PROCEEDS FROM THE FATHER. :idea:

It goes on to say "with the Father AND THE SON, He is worshipped and glorified"

But the first filioque was added later, Orthodox do not accept it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It says "into everlasting fire." Presumably people will understand this in the same sense that they understand similar terms in the NT. If you advocate "literal" interpretation of the creed, after all, you end up with works salvation, since it says that judgement is based entirely upon our deeds.

I would think that would be a more serious issue than the reference to everlasting fire.

I think the portion on deeds surely reinforces the perseverance of the saints.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think the portion on deeds surely reinforces the perseverance of the saints.
It's hard to know. Because this didn't come from a council there's no context. Indeed that's one major objection. On what basis did the anonymous author claim the authority to anathematize anyone?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There was a good discussion of UR a few months back here:

Opiate of the Theologians

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

You know, that is a good question.

I think most of us are familiar with James Strong (1822-1894) who is credited with the concordance named after him. I've heard that he was an annihilationist. It would be hard to believe for some to think that he was still degenerate and lost for his lack of belief in a real biblical, eternal hell.

However, from how I understand the biblical concept of hell, it is most foundational in our understanding of some important truths, including the atonement of Christ and the point of the resurrection from the dead. It is a way to compromise the justice of God, which in turn forfeits the reality of divine mercy toward sinners.

I firmly believe that a lack of belief in an eternal punishment has a deeper problem rooted in that person's understanding of the gospel, which is an essential part of the gospel.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I don't buy into FILIOQUE.

In fact, the real creed is carved into the steps of the Vatican without FILIOQUE.
I believe the Roman Catholic Church cites John 20:22 for the “proceeds from the Father and Son.”

John 20: NASB

21So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If one needs an anonymous author of an alleged creed that was not authorized by a council to try to bolster "perseverance of the saints" - well - there ya go.
Was I “bolstering?”

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.